Slicing Onions Without Tears

I love cooking and cook all the time, often with either onions (red preferred, but using any often) or garlic. My complaint (and question in one) is how do I keep from shedding tears when cutting onions (and sometimes really strong garlic)? It wouldn't be so bad if the tears weren't falling fast (sometimes) and the burning that follows. Help. Please.

By Trish from Washington, DC

Answers:

Slicing Onions Without Tears

I'd love to have the answer to this one too. Can't find a thing that will work. Tried the wooden spoon thing too with no luck. Someone told me to put a wooden match in my mouth while cutting onions. The kind of long wooden match like you use to light a gas stove; not the kind to light cigarettes with. No luck.

There are two more suggestions below that I haven't tried and hope they will work. I do know how to get onion and garlic smells off your hands though. Just run your hands under cold running water and rub a stainless steel spood around your hands. You probably have heard this one before!

I'm going to monitor your question and see who comes up with more solutions. Good luck to you. (10/14/2009)

By metroplex

Slicing Onions Without Tears

I've always done what Sonya does (in the archives below) and that is to rinse really well under cold water before cutting, and I also peel them thoroughly and cut the ends off before rinsing. It's a very, very rare onion that brings me to tears after that ;-) I've never had problems with garlic but I don't see why that wouldn't work with them as well because both are in the allium family. Hope this helps and I hope you let us know what you think after you try it. (10/15/2009)

By Deeli

Slicing Onions Without Tears

I was watching TV, some cooking channel, and the chef said to cut the bottom of the onion off first, this lets the gas escape and no more tears! It works! Haven't had a problem since. (10/15/2009)

By LULUbobo

Slicing Onions Without Tears

Hi, If you put your onions or garlic in the freezer before you have to do your slicing you don't get the smell! It works for me! (10/15/2009)

By nedoglover

Slicing Onions Without Tears

If you cut the onions with your arms out in front of you, instead of working over the stuff you are chopping and breathe with your mouth, not your nose. I did try a wooden spoon between my teeth, it seemed to work. I just do it fast with the window open and don't breathe through my nose. It's the fumes getting into the nose that cause the problems. When you use a wooden spoon, you tend to breathe around your teeth and not through your nose. (10/15/2009)

By c t

Slicing Onions Without Tears

Number One: keep them refrigerated in the crisper

Number Two: Cut off the top and bottom,peel outer skin off, cut them in half lengthwise, turn both cut surfaces down on your cutting board so that only the smooth round skin side is facing you.Now,hold one half down on the cutting board with one hand and slice lengthwise in strips almost all the way to the root end,holding slices together,then and only then do you slice across the ridges.Repeat with the other half.

This causes all the oils to be released down into the onion, with the least friction;therefore,less irritants are released to go up your nose and in your eyes. (10/15/2009)

By dollyslaffn

Slicing Onions Without Tears

I have tried everything possible thing known to man. Then I read somewhere to buy a pair of water goggles or use your kid's and don them while chopping! It works great! Just hope nobody comes to your house unexpectedly or they will think you are off your rocker! No, seriously, I tried the all of the suggestions above and none worked till the goggles. (10/16/2009)

By Laniegirl

Slicing Onions Without Tears

A chef told me not to cut through the root end, it works for me! (10/16/2009)

By popet

Slicing Onions Without Tears

I am planning on buying a food chopper like the one on this website. I have seen these at Big Lots for around $10.00 or less, so I will probably get it there rather than ordering online. I think the online bad thing is that you still have to cut it up enough to get it in the chopper and peel it. My strategy is to keep my hands away from my face, but it doesn't always work because onions can be very pungent.

https://www.officialslapchop.com/?mid=545859 (10/17/2009)

By crazyliblady

Wearing goggles while chopping onions.
Preventing Tears When Chopping Onions
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Slice of cantaloupe with other cantaloupes in the background.
Peeling and Slicing Melon
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Peeling Onions
Peeling Onions
🎉
🎄