Peeling Onions

Category Helpful Hints
Onions have a dry papery peel that should be removed before slicing. This can be messy, cause tears from the fumes or result in wasted onion by peeling too deeply. Here are tips to help you easily peel onions for use in recipes.

I like to keep an onion on hand to use when needed for a recipe. This is an easy way to remove the peeling.

1. Place onion on a cutting board.
  2. Cut the tips off the ends of the onion
  3. Cut the onion in half.
  4. Notch out the core ends.
  5. Advertisement

6. Remove the outer layer of skin and you are all done.
  7. Slice off the amount you need.
  8. Wrap the left over onion in plastic wrap and place in a container or zip lock bag and keep refrigerated. It will keep 7-10 days.

I have both a severe sensitivity to onions and a real dislike of the papery mess they leave on my counters and in vegetable bins and drawers. I have found that if I place one in one of the netted bags they come in and act like I'm scrubbing it (dry), they will shed their outer paper layer easily! It still needs cutting but at least the paper covering isn't everywhere but in the bag and doesn't get on the onion pieces causing me more time processing and exposing myself to the oils.

Just a little more convenient to work with, especially when I am cutting up a lot for some recipes (onion soup for instance.)

Hate to peel little pearl onions? Try this: Boil a pot of water. While waiting for it to boil, cut a bit off the top and bottom (root end) of each onion. Drop onions in the boiling water and blanch for just 2 minutes.

Is there any easy way to peel silver skin onions?

By Sharon L Martin from Nova Scotia

Answers

You can try this technique: place the onion on its side, and very thinly slice off the root & tip of the onion from either side. then place the onion on its flat base.

cut it in half, vertically. Now take one half, and gently pull the peel off. If you find it difficult, try the last part (peeling) under running water. then repeat with other half.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJanuary 13, 2013
📓
🐛
😷
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Peeling-Onions-1.html