Smoke Detector Problem

My smoke alarm is connected to electric supply and has started going off for no reason at all the last few days. I can not open it as it needs a special key which I was not supplied with. It is about 8 years old. It has a back up battery so I can't turn it off. It is driving my dog potty and I'll soon join her if it continues.

Dorothy

Answers:

Smoke Detector Problem

I would call the manufacturer or take them back to the store where you bought them. It sounds defective to me. (09/16/2004)

By kimmcg

Smoke Detector Problem

Try checking for spiderwebs or dust inside the alarms......give them a good dusting and/or vacuum them thoroughly. That was what set mine off......hope it is the answer to yours! (09/16/2004)

By Donna

Smoke Detector Problem

I had the same problem when my air conditioner went in for service during a really humid week. The humidity was setting off my smoke detectors. Once the air in my house became dryer, the problem with the smoke detectors ceased. (09/16/2004)

By Leann2

Smoke Detector Problem

I had that problem at an apartment I was renting - because they were hardwired if the power surged/blinked or otherwise cut out, they would go off. You might want to check with the local power company to see if there have been problems in your area before you take them down and return them - might just be that. (09/17/2004)

By

Smoke Detector Problem

Your battery needs to be changed. As for the key, try to find someone or a store that sells them to get you one so you can open it and change the battery. (11/03/2005)

By Michele

Smoke Detector Problem

it is probably the battery has gone dead and it is alerting you to that fact. (11/04/2005)

By sandy

Smoke Detector Problem

find the model # and brand name and do a search for the company. The have customer service that could give you key info, and why their 'going off'

Mine was dust and spiders, vacuum smoke detectors monthly with your wand attachment (11/04/2005)

Smoke Detector Problem

The most common type of smoke detector is the ionization type. It is also the most unreliable type of detector. It works of off radioactive material which ionizes the air creating a current. When any particle disrupt the current flow, it sounds resulting in many false alarms and poor overall detection. Too often, heat from a fire melts the detector before smoke density is dense enough to activate the alarm in a real fire. The best detection is a combination of heat detectors for the major areas where smoke detectors can not be placed, and photo electric smoke detectors in areas where smoke detectors should be placed. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about your alarms or wish to find out more about better protection for your family. debusgh @ kci.net (remove spaces) (12/28/2005)

By Greg Debus

Smoke Detector Problem

I have a smoke detector hard wired for 5 years, started beeping 2 to 3 times a day, changed battery,same, now installed new detector. The new detector beeps 4 times about 2 to 3 time a day same as the old one. This is the only one out of 10 that does this. (02/07/2006)

By Ken

Smoke Detector Problem

I had replaced all the batteries in my 7 bedroom home to no avail. Then I came to this forum and read about dust and spiderwebs and vacuumed the detectors. IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM! (01/26/2007)

By Charlie

Smoke Detector Problem

I was concerned with some of my hard wired alarms and so I phoned the fire department to inspect them. They gave me a lot of helpful info along with a free battery operated detector! Give them a call. (01/26/2007)

By cjbisco

Smoke Detector Problem

I installed central vac in my home 10 years ago. Whenever we vacuum on the main floor, smoke detectors go off after a few minutes. When vaccuming in the basement, no problem. Just today they started beeping at random. Think it is time to clean or replace. (02/09/2007)

By Bob C

Smoke Detector Problem
Gray Smoke Coming From a Tailpipe
Gray Smoke Coming From a Tailpipe
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping
🎉
🎄