Smoke Detector Problem

My husband bought a new smoke alarm about a year or two ago. I can't find the instructions that came with it. Last night it started 'beeping' and when he pushed on the button to silence it the noise stopped. But now the little green light is on all the time and I don't think it was on all the time before.

I do remember at different times a little red light would flash off and on for a minute or so, but that was to let us know it was working or something. I can't see what kind it is so that's not much help. Is there anyone who has one similar and knows what to do?

Gelene from FL

Answers:

Smoke Detector Problem

Turn off the power to the smoke alarm at the circuit breaker. Remove the smoke alarm from the mounting bracket and disconnect the power. Remove the battery, and press and hold the test button for at least 15 seconds. The unit may chirp or alarm for a few seconds before going silent. Reconnect the power and reinstall the battery. The unit will chirp once when the power is restored and should not chirp afterward. (09/05/2008)

By boreasrex

Smoke Detector Problem

I followed the advice of boreasrex and it worked perfectly. Thanks! (11/22/2008)

By Ron C

Smoke Detector Problem

Just make sure you don't have the same crazy issue as I did. Woke up at 4am to the sound of a chirp. I had heard this chirping before from the smoke detectors whenever they wanted a new battery. After making a run to the grocery store at 5:20am, paying almost $6 for two Duracell 9volts, going to the manufacturers website, checking this forum and shutting down the power to all detectors to remove the batteries, I finally decided to try the vacuum. When I coincidentally went to plug it in to one of the many power outlets, I noticed the LED on the carbon monoxide detector was blinking; there was the actual problem. (12/17/2008)

By wtw94

Smoke Detector Problem

Followed boreasrex's advice and so far so good. Thanks! (01/15/2009)

By heather

Smoke Detector Problem

Thank you wtw94! We changed the battery in the smoke alarm, and we thought it was that that was continually chirping. I had bought a carbon monoxide detector, had put the battery in it, but never plugged it in. It was laying near the smoke alarm, but when I listened to it, that was what was chirping! I didn't think I had activated it yet, but the battery had, I guess. Anyway, we were about to buy a new smoke detector. I'm so glad I checked the carbon monoxide detector. Thank you! (02/24/2009)

By June

Smoke Detector Problem

Thank you, Boreasrex! My alarm has been going off since 2:30 this morning (it's now 10:30!), it was, needless to say, driving me mad! I found this post, disconnected power etc., and now it's blissful silence! I might go to bed now. Thanks again! (07/13/2009)

By stephknee

Smoke Detector Problem
Gray Smoke Coming From a Tailpipe
Gray Smoke Coming From a Tailpipe
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping
🎉
🎄