Southern Squash Casserole

I first tried this dish (or one very similar) when I was a little girl attending my family's Baptist Church weekly supper. I have tried to get the recipe for years and finally decided to recreate it by trial and error. I believe I finally did it. By testing other squash casserole recipes and adding the ingredients that I remember being in it, I finally came up with a wonderful, crowd pleasing dish!

• 3 lbs. yellow squash, sliced
  • 1 lb. zucchini, sliced
  • 3 medium onions, sliced
  • 4 large carrots, grated
  • 4-8 oz. pimentos (jar)
  • 1 or 2 cans sliced water chestnuts
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 cups crushed reduced fat Ritz or Townhouse crackers
  • 6-8 oz box of seasoned stuffing
  • Pam spray
  • 1/4 cup melted margarine
  • 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1-2 cups grated sharp cheddar or cheddar/jack cheese

Preheat over to 350 degrees F.

Slice the squash, zucchini, and onions and place in a large pot with enough water to fill the post halfway. Add one teaspoon salt. Bring to boil for about 5 minutes. You can cook them more or less depending upon desired consistency. I like mine a bit firmer since they will finish cooking in the oven later. Drain all liquids.(I keep mine and use it for a vegetable soup base)

Spray 9 by 13 inch baking dish with Pam. Line pan with about one inch of stuffing mix. Melt margarine and drizzle over stuffing mix. I like to take about a full handful of the stuffing and add it directly to the squash mix for added texture. I also omit the margarine to cut down on calories and fat.

In a mixing bowl add the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, mayonnaise, pimentos, carrots, handful of stuffing mix, black pepper, and water chestnuts. Mix together. Add squash, zucchini and onions, blend gently.

Pour entire mixture over stuffing in the pan. Spread evenly, Top with shredded cheese and remaining crushed crackers.

Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

You can make this healthier by omitting the margarine, using reduced fat crackers, sour cream, and mayonnaise, and using fat free/sodium reduced cream of chicken soup.

Servings: 12
Time:30 Minutes Preparation Time
45 Minutes Cooking Time

By iamluvie

Squash Casserole
Squash Casserole Recipes
Buttercup Squash
Preserving Seeds From Buttercup Squash
Pickled Pumpkin
Pickled Squash Recipes
basket of sweet potato squash
Growing Sweet Potato Squash (Delicata Squash)
summer squash
Drying Squash