Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Staffordshire Bull Terrier - Breed Information and Photos

It is good to know what to expect from this popular medium sized, intelligent dog. This guide is about Staffordshire Bull Terrier - breed information and photos.

January 11, 2007 Flag

I need some ideas for a registrable name for my blue brindle American Staffordshire Terrier named Boomer, but the AKC stated to me if I was to register him as just Boomer than a roman numeral five would need to be added to the end. Please help me to decide on a name.

Alaina from Lynchburg, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

mine is Bandit the Bandito

my staffy is named Spartan after the Greek warriors, but he's so cute we usually call him Sparty.

thanks for all the feedback on the name. i have chosen Blue Woodforest of the Nile for Boomers registered name. all the ideas were helpful. thanks

Mine is named Shadow because she follows me everywhere she even cries when I go in the bathroom, and will not let her in. When I rescued her they were calling her Petunia! Luckily she was still very young, and didn't respond to that name yet.

Call your staffy "Shiner".

May 9, 2010 Flag

Is my 8 month old Staffordshire Bull terrier really a Pitbull?

By Louise

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A Staffordshire Terrier is different from a Pitbull. Sometimes people who don't know the difference & their history will use the two names interchangeably, but they have different bloodlines. For years the Pitbull has been bred to fight, while the Staffordshire has been bred for many years as a gentle show dog.

------------------------------------------------------------

The difference between Pits & the American Staffordshire is kind of hard to understand & even breeders can't agree, but the main difference is the bloodline. American Staffordshires are show dogs & dog fighters won't used a dog with Staffordshire blood because they are deemed too mellow, whereas the Pitbulls were bred to do "bull bating" & dog-fighting.

SOME HISTORY:

In the 1800's in Staffordshire England they crossed a bulldog with several Terriers & got a muscular, combative dog. This dog was then brought to America & was preferred by American breeders who increased it's weight & gave it a more powerful head. It is now recognized as a separate breed. The American Bull Terrier is larger & heavier than the Staffordshire Terrier. After dog fighting was banned in the USA in 1900 two strains of these dogs were developed, a show breed & a fighting breed. The show strain was named the "American Staffordshire Terrier" & the fighting strain was named the "America Pit Bull Terrier". They are now recognized as separate breeds, but these days the Pit Bull Terrier is being breed with the same gentle & loving qualities as the American Staffordshire. In the future there won't be a difference between the two.

MORE HISTORY:

http://www.bull  bullterrier.html

AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER:

http://www.dogb  taffordshire.htm

AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER:

http://www.dogb  ricanpitbull.htm

=========================================================

If properly socialized, the Pit Bull is a wonderful family pet... In fact, right now our Seattle-King County Animal Shelter is sponsoring a reeducation program to tell people how amazing these dogs are & for the first time in years, there has been a waiting list in Seattle to rescue a Pit Bull! ...These loving dogs weren't always thought of as the "menace to society" we see them as today. This attitude was partly brought on by the media & partly by irresponsible, uneducated owners failing to properly socialize their pups while they are young. Add all that together & the fact that Pits have such large litters, most shelters have an overabundance of pits bulls!

Back in American history the Pit Bull was used to represent the U.S. in WW1 Artwork (because of our stubborn "can-do" attitude!) and the pit was so loved by Americans, that companies like RCA and the Buster Brown Shoe Company used the breed as their mascots! Not too long ago the Pit Bull was one of the most popular American dog breeds & the show "Spanky & Our Gang" made the Pit even more popular as a family pet!

---> No matter what your dogs bloodline (Pitbull or Staffordshire) he (or she) needs to be walked every day for at least 45 minutes, because cooped-up dogs that get little exercise get bored & tend to get themselves into trouble! You also need to introduce your dog while it's young to children & other dogs & animals so he gets used to them at an early age. Never rough-house with your dog (not even while playing!) or it will learn to be rough & fight. Don't ever let it nip at you! Dog's enjoy structure & a routine. When you take your dog for it's daily walk, never let it out the door while it's excited. Wait for it to mellow out before stepping outside. When on your walk, keep your dog near you & keep in total control at all times, don't let it walk out in front of you. Dogs love structure & if you handle them with confidence they feel secure & happy. Remember, a dog thinks like a dog, not like a human! A dog is not a baby (even though we love them so much, we sometimes wish they were our kids!)

The short answer is in the veterinary world, they are one and the same.

If you are asking because your city has restrictions, like most do, on keeping Pitbulls, etc. in the city limits, my response is:

Unfortunately, most cities with bans against Pittbulls include the Staffordshire Terrier, and several other types of terriers in the ban. Check with your city office to be sure, some fines are huge.

The picture shows the result of an unprovoked attack on my little mongrel dog, Ben, by a Staffordshire bull terrier which the owner assured people was friendly. The injuries cost me £600 in vets' bills.

Admittedly, I have seen some very friendly Staffs around, but they can be dangerous.

We have a Pit Bull and he is the most loving dog there could be. He loves our other dogs; my smaller dogs pick 'play fights' with him and he is gentle and sweet. I had reservations about adopting him but we all love him.

Pat

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

October 14, 2015 Flag

Your Pet's Age
14 and 4

Your Pet's Breed
Staffordshire Bull Terrier

How and when did you get your pet?
Jasmine came with my partner 7 years ago and Jim came from The Dogs' Trust rescue center 4 years ago.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
DIY obviously - look at the picture or getting involved in everything and I mean everything. They're nosier than children and just as curious.

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

January 6, 2011 Flag

Axle is 12 weeks old. He is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier that I bought from my neighbor. He chews up anything and everything. He is the sweetest dog ever. Hopefully I can break him of the annoying chewing habit though, and get him to actually chew the bones I buy him.

By Christine H.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

He is so precious! I want him! (LOL) I wish I could help you with the chewing problem, but I don't know. Hopefully someone will have some advice, or he'll grow out of it.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

December 3, 2015 Flag

Your Pet's Age
2

Your Pet's Breed
English Staffordshire Bull Terrier

How and when did you get your pet?
I got him from a breeder that imports from England. I have papers showing he came from England. They are known as "the nanny dog."

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Play and play and play

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
He is a very intelligent dog it's just like a mini Pit Bull. Full grown he is 23 pounds.

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Luna lying down

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

I got her in Gorleston at 8 weeks old. She likes to play with balls and love her mummy.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Max is an American Bull Dog and Buster is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Max is 10 weeks old (August 14). We got him as a puppy at 6 weeks old. Buster is 4 years old and we got Buster from a dog's home.

Staffordshire Terrier

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Rocky-Balboa is three years old and a Staffordshire Terrier. I got him 2 years and 8 months ago. He likes to chase flies or dressing up. When he sleeps, he snores!

Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Bull TerrierAugust 24, 2012
English daisies.
Taking Photos of Your Garden
Credit Report
Providing Information to a Credit Bureau
American Pit Bull Terrier
American Pit Bull Terrier Information and Photos
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2017 at 6:09:05 PM on 10.0.0.192 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.