Boston Terrier - Breed Information and Photos

Category Pet Pages
Affectionate and loving, this dog is determined, and makes an excellent companion. This guide contains Boston Terrier - breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Boston Terrier is a compact, well-muscled and clean-cut dog with a lively temperament and high degree of intelligence. This breed has a broad, flat head, large round eyes and a sweet docile expression. Affectionate and loving, this dog is determined, strong and sturdy and makes an excellent companion.

Group: Non-Sporting

Purpose of Breed: Baiting Bulls, Ratting

Country of Origin: USA

Average Size: Boston Terriers range from 11-14 pounds and 10 - 16 inches tall.

Color(s): Either brindle or black with white markings.

Coat Type: Boston Terriers have short and smooth coats, which require minimal care.

Grooming: This breed is a minimal shedder and its smooth, short coat is easy to maintain. Standard care for eyes, ears, pads and nails is required.

Exercise Needs: Boston Terriers are quite athletic, enjoy walks, flyball and agility trials and like all dogs, benefit from regular exercise. Their size makes them suitable for apartment living as long as they are exercised daily. Care should be taken during exercise to avoid overheating them, which can lead to difficulties breathing.

Temperament: This dog breed makes a good companion due to its obedient, protective and gentle nature. Boston Terriers are bright, alert and exceptionally affectionate. Although they are friendly breed, they are initially suspicious of strangers and make good watchdogs.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to eye problems, breathing and whelping difficult.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-14 years.

Trivia: The popularity of the Boston Terrier swelled so much in the 1920s that the breed represented between 20 and 30 percent of all of the dogs entered in dog shows.

More Information: Boston Terrier Club of America, www.bostonterrierclubofamerica.org/
Credits: Booth Photography - Dog Owner: Billie Bunch
Ch. V's (Rocky) of JJ ll

Ch. B & B's Unique Carbon Copy (Sisser).
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I have a plant that's has white and black bugs. The flowers are red; I think nickname is called rowdy. My questions is why do these come in the house and bite?

By Dian from Vancouver, BC

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Dexter is 7 months old. He is a Boston Terrier. We got Dexter on the first vacation we have had in 10 years with our 2 sons. Dexter was at a friend's house that we were visiting in another state. The boys just love their new little friend and are very good brothers to him.

He likes to poke at his toys till they make noise then jumps away turns his head to the right and the left and then does it all over again. Dexter likes to snuggle up and lay next to his boys beds and when they are at school he takes something off their bed and puts it in his own bed to lay next to.

By Christina from Lansing, MI

Black and white pup lying on arm.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 17

Meet Mia and Triinu, aged 5 years and 2 years respectively. Mia was "inherited" from an old roommate. Triinu was adopted from a breeder. They really enjoy playing with each other.

By Kadi

2 black and white dogs sitting on a windowsill.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 13

Sophie is a seven year old Boston Terrier. I got Sophie from a breeder who had six week old pups for sale. They were born on a farm and were all romping about when we noticed one older pup playing with them. It was our Sophie, leftover from the previous litter because no one wanted the dog with one blue eye! How pitiful! We had to make her our pup!

She likes to lay in the sun, go for short walks, gut stuffed animals and cuddle-pup with her Dad in the recliner on cold Wisconsin nights. In this photo she's showing off her new crocheted collar I made her.

She has bad skin allergies and used to be on cortisone, so she is a little overweight because of that. Now, we control it with benadryl as needed as well as a fish and sweet potato based food, so much better than liver damaging drugs!

By Kendy from Milwaukee, WI

Sophie (Boston Terrier)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 14

Mugzee Malone is 2 1/2 years old. He is a Boston Terrier. We purchased Mugzee from a home, it was a 45 minute drive. He likes to play with his friends next door (two much bigger dogs!)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 10

Cecil, Winnie and Dave are one, 6 and one (respectively). and are Boston Terriers and Pug/Boston Mix (Bug.) I got Winnie in 2003, Cecil and Dave in 2008. They love to eat and sleep, they are their own little pack.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

This is Maggie May. Just like the Rod Stewart song. She is almost two years old. Maggie is a Boston Terrier.

Comment Like this photo? 5

This is Bella. She was 4-years-old this past April. My girl is a Boston Terrier and can scale a 4-foot-fence without a lick of effort. My daughter bought this girl for me a month after the loss of my Boston Terrier Bubba.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Spooky is a 3 year old Boston Terrier. I received Spooky as a birthday present. My birthday is in December, but because I wanted him so badly I received him 2 months early in October, close to Halloween. That is how he received his "Spooky" name.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Wrinkles is the most loving pet I have ever had. He follows me around and sleeps by my side at night. When I'm unhappy, all I have to do is look into his loving eyes and I'll cheer up!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Buddy is 5 years old and is a Boston Terrier. My husband Scott purchased him from a pet store, he was so small. We've had Buddy practically since he was born.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

This is Rebel and Dixie. Rebel is 4 and Dixie is 1.5, both are Boston Terriers. We adopted them both from 2 different breeders 8 weeks after they were born

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Oreo is our 1 year old Boston Terrier. We got him the end of May 2007, I had just signed up to our local Freecycle group site and within 3 days he was posted. We had been talking about getting a Boston Terrier after we got married in June. BUT there he was and we brought him home and he is a big part of our family. We drove 125 miles round trip to get him.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Rebel is 6 years old and Dixie is 3. They are Boston Terriers. We adopted Rebel in 2003, and decided he needed a companion so we adopted Dixie in 2006.

Comment Like this photo? 4

Bugsy is currently 1 years old. He is a Boston Terrier. I've been wanting a Boston Terrier since my husband and I got married but I could never find any that weren't too expensive.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 14

AKA Baby Bella is 8 weeks old and is a Boston Terrier.

Baby Bella - Boston Terrier

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Panda (Boston Terrier). Panda is an 8 month old Boston Terrier. We purchased her in June when she was 14 weeks old.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

I got Daisy when she was only a couple minutes old. She was the runt of the litter and no one wanted her.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

Winston is a 1 1/2 year old Boston Terrier. He likes to give a hand and is helping his daddy read blueprints. He is a very loveable doggy and is now recuperating from a hip surgery. By Julie

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Beanie Bummy is my 16 month old Boston Terrier. I bought Beanie at a reputable Pet Store that buys from local breeders, not puppy mills.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes