Browsing: Starting a Forsythia From a Cutting

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Starting a Forsythia From a Cutting

A hardy, perennial shrub that can be propagated from a clipping. This guide is about starting a forsythia from a cutting.

Forsythia
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 29, 2011 Flag

I heard you can take a forsythia branch and it will take root in a bucket of water. I would like to have this bush in my yard. Can it be done this way to start the root process?

By Susan from Catonsville, MD

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, you can start forsythia in a glass of water. It's best to use water that is not chlorinated. Do you have any creek water or well water available? Once the roots are established, and just before planting dip the roots into root hormone which can be bought at Walmart in the lawn/garden dept. It's a white powder and be careful not to have any breeze blow this powder near your face and wash hands after use.

Have fun....

In our area at least, Oklahoma, tiny little plants come up each year beneath the Forsythia bush. My

husband cuts them off or we dig them up and give away to others.

Yes, you can pick some branches and enjoy the yellow flowers, then the flowers will fall off and green leaves will appear. Keep water in the vase and roots will start. When there are enough roots on each stem, they can be planted.

May 29, 2012 Flag

I would like to start more lilac bushes and forsythia bushes. Can it be done successfully? Also a friend has a large rhododendron that they don't want. We want to move it to our house. What's the best way and the best time?

Barbara

Bend forsythia branches to the ground and cover with soil. Water often. Roots will form and then you can cut it from the mother plant and transplant. I've also started them from cuttings placed in water and put out of the sun till rooted. Dig up baby lilac bushes that come up close to the mother plant and move to desired spot.

June 2, 2007 Flag

I have these bushes at work and would like to make a hedge using them. Can I root them to do so?

Helen from Baltimore MD

A friend of mine started a hedge with cuttings from our Forsythia. She just stuck them in the groound, no rooting in water, and they took off & she has a beautiful hedge all around the back of her property.

Trish in CT

its not forstyia, its just a green hedge that is quite nice does anyone know how to root it or what it is called?

Home and Garden Gardening PerennialsApril 28, 2013
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 12:04:31 AM on 10.0.1.237 in 814 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.