Starting a Forsythia From a Cutting

A hardy, perennial shrub that can be propagated from a clipping. This guide is about starting a forsythia from a cutting.

Forsythia
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I heard you can take a forsythia branch and it will take root in a bucket of water. I would like to have this bush in my yard. Can it be done this way to start the root process?

By Susan from Catonsville, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, you can pick some branches and enjoy the yellow flowers, then the flowers will fall off and green leaves will appear. Keep water in the vase and roots will start. When there are enough roots on each stem, they can be planted.

Read More Answers...

I would like to start more lilac bushes and forsythia bushes. Can it be done successfully? Also a friend has a large rhododendron that they don't want. We want to move it to our house. What's the best way and the best time?

Barbara

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Bend forsythia branches to the ground and cover with soil. Water often. Roots will form and then you can cut it from the mother plant and transplant. I've also started them from cuttings placed in water and put out of the sun till rooted. Dig up baby lilac bushes that come up close to the mother plant and move to desired spot.

I have these bushes at work and would like to make a hedge using them. Can I root them to do so?

Helen from Baltimore MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

its not forstyia, its just a green hedge that is quite nice does anyone know how to root it or what it is called?

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Gardening PerennialsApril 28, 2013
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 2:55:10 PM on 10.0.2.30 in 553 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.