Starting a Hedge with Forsythia Clippings

I have these bushes at work and would like to make a hedge using them. Can I root them to do so?

Helen from Baltimore MD

A friend of mine started a hedge with cuttings from our Forsythia. She just stuck them in the groound, no rooting in water, and they took off & she has a beautiful hedge all around the back of her property.

Trish in CT

its not forstyia, its just a green hedge that is quite nice does anyone know how to root it or what it is called?

Anonymous

My grandfather had a hedge all my life, my mom cut stems off and stuck them straight into the ground and later a full hedge, still growing. for a while it looks like little sticks down the length of the yard.

Can you start a hedge with forsythia clippings. Just put them in soil is what I heard. Is it true?

Susan from Hamilton

Answers:

I have rooted some cut branches of forsythia just by putting them in water to start roots growing. Then I plant the rooted branches. I have also just stuck some in the ground without rooting them first, pulling the leaves off the branch that is under ground. Sometimes branches on already established bushes will hang down low enough and will root into the ground and these can be pulled up and planted somewhere else to make a row. It doesn't take long at all to establish a nice row of forsythia. (04/30/2005)

By Arlene

Wait until after it blooms for the best results. I have used a milk jug with water to root cuttings. Very easy, privet hedges and most anything trimmed can be started this way. hormone powder works good but not necessary (05/02/2005)

By Diamondee

Years ago, my neighbor showed me how to start new Forsythia's from existing plants. He would take the longer branches, and just bend them over and put them in a hole and cover with dirt. After several weeks, he would "clip" the branch mid way between the older plant and the recently planted branch, thus he had a new Forsythia plant that was very healthy looking! (05/02/2005)

By Debbie