MetalCleaning

Sterling Silver Tarnished by Bleach

I accidentally left my sterling silver and some plated, in bleach to clean them. I forgot to get them out. After more than an hour, I went to get them and they are very tarnished. What do I need to do to restore them back to their beautiful state again?

Best Answer

There is a simple solution to clean your tarnished silverware. In a pot on your stove, add 1 liter of water, 1 tablespoon of baking soda and a piece of aluminum foil to the pot. Bring to a boil and drop the silverware in the post. Let it stay in the post for 10 seconds, if your silverware is very tarnished leave it in the pot a little longer. Remove the silverware from the pot using a pair of tongs. If the silverware tarnish is extremely built-up you will need to make a paste out of baking soda. The paste is ¼ cup of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of water. Clean the silverware using the paste.

Try rubbing it with toothpaste. Good luck!

I use the same method that poehere explained. works wonders.

I have used a different solution than posted but very similar method. If possible, I use an old aluminum turkey pan or other aluminum pan (pie pan from store bought pie) instead of a plastic tub. Never use a metal pot or pan (stainless steel, copper, etc). I use washing soda instead of baking soda (usually) and I add a sprinkle of salt. Both methods work and are easy to do. Be sure to rinse after cleaning.

There are other methods that many people swear by and I have used one or two of them. Be very careful with silver plate as it is not as strong as sterling silver.

First method: (from jeweler web site)

Bring one liter of water, one tablespoon of baking soda and one piece of aluminum foil to a boil. Drop silverware in the pot for 10 seconds (longer if it's very tarnished), then remove using kitchen tongs. If built-up tarnish persists, make a thick paste with 1/4 cup baking soda and two tablespoons of water.

Second method:

White vinegar and baking soda: Use this gentle cleaner to remove heavy tarnish that's preventing you from polishing your silver. Soak the tarnished piece in a solution of 1/2 cup white vinegar and 2 tbsp. baking soda (be prepared for the fizzing) for two to three hours, then rinse and dry.

Third method: works but takes longer and more work:

Soft cloth and toothpaste (gel type may not work)

Be sure to rinse with clean water and buff to shine.