Storing Green Onions

I love green onions in my omelets and saimin noodles. The trouble is that it goes rather quickly. We found quite by accident how to store green onions.

My Mother loves to make things simple for cooking. She'd buy vegetables, clean them, and store them in paper towels in Ziploc bags in the refrigerator, so you can quickly add them to your cooking. She did that with green onions one day.

We didn't get to the green onions until two weeks later. This time when she stored the green onions she cut them up and just put them in double paper towel lengths, so it won't tear, and capped it with a rubber band, so it wouldn't come apart when you picked it up.

We found that the refrigerator had dehydrated the green onions. It tasted like the parsley herbs we buy in the plastic bottles. Though it didn't have the taste of fresh green onions, it still was edible and had some of its original taste. It stores nicely and nothing goes to waste, when you use this little tip we found by accident.

By Krissttina I. from Honolulu, HI

storing green onions
Storing Green Onions
Food and Recipes StorageJuly 1, 2011
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions