Freezing Green Onions

There was a pretty good deal on onions at the farmers market, so I got a few bundles. The green stems were clipped to size with kitchen shears, bottled, and placed in the freezer. Normally we only use green onions for fried rice, but my son likes omelets sometimes, so he might shake a few green onions into one! Very handy.

The bulb ends were placed in water and sat in the kitchen window to continue growing more onions. If all goes as planned we won't ever have to buy any more onions !

Source: This idea was found on pinterest. There are several items that can be re-grown from scraps!

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, MO

More Solutions

I grow my own green onions in my garden. They come back the next year. This hint is also useful if you cannot use all the green onions you purchased. Here is how to have green onions all year long:

Freezing Green Onions - bag and freeze

4 Questions

Can you freeze green onions?

By Veronica from IN

Answers

Why ever would you want to freeze green onions? Easy to grow year round and just use as needed; and replant more! You can use any type of onion or onion set and simply pull to eat them prior to them being huge! Walla walla sweets is my favorite! They never get huge, I simply use them as green onions!

I like to have fresh green onions on hand but can seldom use them all before they would go bad and freezing them is the way to save them. Just chop them ready for use in a cooked recipe (they won't be good to use in a salad), put them in a freezer bag and flatten them out before putting them in the freezer so that you can break off the amount needed when ready to use them. I especially like them in scrambled eggs or an omelet.

Freezing chopped green onions or fresh herbs to speed up prep time and reduce spoilage, but a twist is using plastic drink bottles as handy dispensers. When freezing chopped green onions, put them into an old water bottle that you've washed, and use a permanent marker to label the bottle cap with the contents. Freeze. To use, simply remove the cap, shake out just as much as you need, replace the cap and return to the freezer. The clear bottle allows you to quickly see what's inside, and shaking things out of a bottle is faster than spooning them out of a freezer container. I use them in cooked dishes like fried rice, microwave mixed rice, soups, curries or scrambled egg purses you name it.

Remember that moisture is your enemy in freezing, so be sure to dry the green onions thoroughly before chopping to prevent freezer burn. I used a large funnel to get the chopped scallions into the bottle, but you could also cut another plastic bottle in half around the middle and turn it over on top of the larger bottle, creating a do-it-yourself funnel. Green onions do become a bit soft in freezing, so they're best used in cooked dishes as opposed to salads. Use within three weeks of freezing for best quality.

Answer this Question

Young green onions may be chopped for salads and sandwiches and frozen without blanching, but they will not be crisp. They will be highly flavored but may be slightly tough.

Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesFebruary 23, 2012
🎃
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Freezing-Green-Onions-1.html