Storing Lettuce

Does anyone know a way to keep lettuce and salad fresher, longer. I've tried the paper towel wrapping, but it doesn't seem to help.

Thank you in advance,

Jule61 from Zanesville, Ohio

Answers:

Storing Lettuce

Put the lettuce in damp paper towels and then a cloth bag. I bought a cloth bag specifically for keeping lettuce and it says to have the bag completely wet -- I don't do that, just be the towels are damp. My lettuce has stayed fresh up to ten days with great taste. If it is wilted, soak in cold or ice water for 10 minutes and you'll have "new" lettuce. (06/05/2006)

By

Storing Lettuce

I read here once that you should wash your lettuce then place it in a bowl of cold water with a tight fitting lid. Keep it in the ice box. Your lettuce will stay crisp. When you use it, just take out what you want drain on a paper towel. Drain off water off of unused lettuce. And replace with fresh water. This holds true for other greens and salad fixens except tomatoes. (06/06/2006)

By madeline

Storing Lettuce

I heard to just rinse the lettuce the day you use it then store it between paper towels then wrap with plastic wrap (06/15/2006)

By miraclelady50

Storing Lettuce

Well, it seems that just about everything has been suggested already. I can tell you that for myself, I put my lettuce (head or loose) in an air tight bowl with just maybe a tablespoon of water in the bottom. On head lettuce I take the core out and make sure the open part is next to the water. The bowl I have had a plastic disc that I put in the bottom so the lettuce isn't sitting directly in the water. On loose lettuce I put a damp paper towel in. It works for me!!! (07/31/2006)

By TonyaG

A variety of lettuce.
Storing Lettuce
Iceberg Lettuce
Growing Iceberg Lettuce
Cleaning and Storing Romaine Hearts
Cleaning and Storing Romaine Hearts
Head of green leaf lettuce.
Washing Lettuce
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce
🎉
🎄