Styling Puffy Hair

Category Styling
Puffy or very curly hair can be a challenge to style. This is a guide about styling puffy hair.

I have puffy hair and it's wavy so when I try to straighten it, it doesn't work. It gets a little better but not much. I want to know how to get it to calm down and not be so dang puffy.

Jodi

my hair is mega puffy and i want it straight.

please help me.

whenever i have a shower my hairs fine but when it drys it becomes very frizzy and puffy!!!

is there anything to prevent this from happening?

My hair has always been real poofy, with a big wave right on each side of my head, and friz. I have tried evwrything. I tried cutting my hair where the wave is. Dyeing my hair. Using every anti poof shampoos, conditioners, and serums. Blow drying. Air drying. Even tried eating better but nothing has changed. I have soft water and i think that is part of the problem but all my friends who have soft water their hair looks fine. I dont know whats up but I am getting tired of it. I can't even put it in a ponytail because of the wave. I need help and real quick. Will someone please help me.

Editor's Note: I'd look for a hairdresser that specializes in cutting curly wavy hair. Someone who really knows what they are doing. They are out there but you will have to ask around. Once you have a good cut, it can make all the difference in the world.

My hair has always been real poofy, with a big wave right on each side of my head, and friz. I have tried evrything. I tried cutting my hair where the wave is. Dyeing my hair. Useing evey anti poof shmpoos, conditoners, and serums. Blow drying. Air drying. Even tried eating better but nothing has changed. I have soft water and i think that is part of the problem but all my friends who have soft water their hair looks fine. I dont know whats up but I am getting tierd of it. I cant even put it in a ponytail becuase of the wave. I need help and real quick. Will someone please help me.

my hair is naturally straight since i was little. But now, whenever i get my hair wet or take a shower, its all pufffy. I straighten it everyday .. but i don't want to damage my hair anymore. My hair is really thick too and all of that puffy-ness is so frustrating.

HELP?!

I have horrible hair. I would LOVE to just wear it down natural, but I can't. It's frizzy, puffy, damaged and curly. I've tried everything but nothing works on my hair. Whenever I get out of the shower, my hair looks pretty but then it drys, and gets SO frizzy and puffy. I can't even wear my hair in a ponytail, I have to hairspray it a lot and sometimes that doesn't even work. So no matter how I wear my hair, I always have to hairspray it which damages it so much. I do straighten my hair, but I can't do it everyday. My hair will get even more damaged and now that summer is coming. Straightening it really won't help with the puffiness and frizz. My hair is embarrassing and I always have to wear it up, unless it is straightened. I need major help!

I have thick poofy/frizzy oily hair. The standard solution for frizzy hair is moisture but those of us with oily hair know that all those products do is make hair more oily. A lot of the products also get rid of my natural curls. Blow-drying is not an option for me because it takes a VERY long time to do and once again it gets rid of my natural curls. The hairdresserss I have been to even have trouble drying my hair.

So here are some of the things that improved my hair significantly:

The one thing that has really helped with managing hair is using the hot-cold method (I'm not sure if that's its official name) If you take hot showers consider rinsing you hair in colder water before you get out. This supposedly seals off the hair cuticle.

If you're sick of all the hair products to keep your hair in place get a hair dryer that has a cold air option. It's the same concept with rinsing your hair. First get he hair mildly hot. You don't need to go over board with the heat. At this point you want to style your hair loosly. Find a way to hold it in place and then cold-dry your hair.

I stopped straightening my hair because it causes too much damage to the ends which as a result makes frizz uncontrollable. I also do not blow-dry my hair anymore except for keeping it in place with the hot-cold method.

I only let my hair air dry. After about 20 minutes when the top layer starts to dry, I tie it back loosely. Sectioning wet hair gently twisting it ringlets also helps.

I recently stopped using conditioners (I think this important for people with oily hair). I always thought this would make my hair too tangled and unmangeable but I have found that I lose less hair in the shower and my hair does not become oily the day after washing.

The combination of using the hot-cold method, only shampooing, not straightening my hair, have all made my very manageable. I can wear my hair down without worrying about poof unless it's extremely humid... Either way, my hair is a lot healthier than before. I have almost no split ends.

If you're going to color your hair consider using henna because it makes you hair very soft instead of damaging it. There are many recipes to try with henna to get the right color and create very natural looking highlights.

I got my hair cut so its about chin length .

It used to be really nice and pretty but now my head ALWAYS looks like a football HELP ME!

I used a curly iron and then after like ten minutes I go take a shower and blow dry my hair to make my hair straight.

I cut my hair short. it used to be down to my shoulder blades but two inches longer. I cut it and it's up to my shoulders now. if I blow dry it, it's puffy. If I towel dry or even air dry, it it's really puffy.

My hair is very puffy. When I straighten it, it gets puffy too. Everyday I have my hair in a pony tail because of my ugly hair. How can I get it to look not so puffy?

By Mary from Aiken, SC

Grow your hair out longer. The shorter it is, it will get thicker. I would suggest getting a nice hair straightener such as a CHI or ION. they are 80-100 dollars but they are worth it. Straightening it in small sections. Good luck.

Try getting your hair cut in layers. I have long thick hair that I have to keep cut in layers to get the poof out. Layering takes the bulkiness out of your hair and helps it lay down better. I have long hair that I keep cut in layers, otherwise I have hair everywhere it seems like.

I don't like to use a lot of product in my hair and the layering helps to avoid that. Also the In Styler works really well. We use that when my granddaughter wants to straighten her natural curly hair, works much better than a flat iron. Good luck, bad hair days are the worst.

Buy some proxity control shampoo.

I need to know how to do nice easy hairstyles for my puffy hair before school.

By trunk.of.funk1