Remedies for Puffy Eyes

Category Home Remedies
There are a number of reasons for puffy eyes, such as allergies or tiredness. This is a guide about remedies for puffy eyes.

If you have trouble with tired or puffy eyes from allergies, fatigue, or strain, one of the most soothing things to do to help them is to make yourself a cup of tea and save the tea bag. Chill the bag and then put the tea bag on your eyes. It takes the puffiness out and makes them feel much better!

By Robin

Please tell me how do I get rid of under eye puffiness, right below the corner of the eye. Everyday when I wake up, there it is. It looks like someone punched me. Please help.

Looking forward to any and all responses. Thank you.

By Linda

Answers

I put a dab of witch hazel beneath my eye cream in the AM & that helps reduce puffiness. Also use cold tea bag compresses to reduce bad swelling due to allergies when nothing else works. Could apply very cold water or ice cubes to help. Just read about using cold milk - because it has lactic acid in it! Press your eye area carefully, & try to distribute any fat deposits - use your middle finger, as it is the weakest & don't rub your eyes! (P.S. check to see if you have any allergies that might be causing the swelling - ) I like the new L'Oreal double-ended eye cream stick, with one tube for day & one for night - You have to use eye cream!

This will work:
1) Take 2 used cold tea bags & place them over each eye for 10 minutes each morning.

The Tannic Acid & the caffeine in the Tea reduces the swelling along with the cold. Just make a cup of tea then put the tea-bags in the fridge for use the next morning.

Directions:
http://www.ehow … es-used-tea.html
2) Many Professional Models use REAL (not from the dollar store) Preparation-H under their eyes to take away bags & swelling (like with hemorrhoids). This works because of the chemical made to reduce the swelling in the hemorrhoids. (Don't laugh, it WORKS!)

Prep H is a vasoconstrictor and it should work immediately. If it doesn't work for you within 5 minutes after applying, it probably won't. But it smells terrible! You have to let it set for 10 minutes before applying your make-up.

I know this sounds yucky, but preparation H works!

A doctor on Doctor Oz talked about this a few days ago. He said in some cases it may be an allergy. He said try taking an over-the-counter antihestimine right before you go to bed. See if that works. I know if I sleep really hard I'll wake up very puffy for some reason. I also heard don't sleep on your stomach with face down.

Anonymous

Unless the Preparation H is manufactured in Canada it is not recommended to use around your eyes! I can't remember the ingredient offhand but there's an ingredient in it that is not safe for any portion of the body other than what it's meant for. Canada does not use that ingredient.

Another thing that might be causing the puffiness is not drinking enough plain old simple water during the day. I know when I have my daily 8 I have no puffiness or bloating in any part of my body but within a day or two of not drinking it as I should the puff and bloat is back :-( If you currently don't drink your 8 and decide to try it just know it takes a few days for the water to help expel all body toxins and show results :-)

It's long been said put some hemorrhoid medicine on your eyes and it shrinks the swelled tissue.

Does anyone have a magic cure for puffy eyes from crying? Mine are extremely puffy right now to the point where I can't go to work due to embarrassment.

By Marge from Middletown, NY

Answers

I get the same thing if I've been crying. Sometimes ice does the trick; so does laying with wet teabags on them for a while. (I think it is the tannic acid in them.) If people ask, I used to be able to sell them "we were using the grill last night; and used lighter fluid, and I got the smoke in my eyes. I must be allergic to it!"

Hope whatever is making your heart heavy works out!

Marge, I am so sorry for whatever is causing your tears but a cold compress always helps. Ice, cold wet teabags, cool cucumber slices, or even a cool wet cloth will help reduce the puffiness of crying eyes.

I have tons of legitimate allergies and and am often critical of those who claim anything odd as an "allergy". But if something has made you feel so sad, I'm for anything that will help you feel better and get you through the next day without embarrassment.

If the tears keep coming, please find a friend, pastor or doctor that can help you find smiles again. Take care. Okay?

Mine do the same thing. I am a mess when I cry. I am sorry something has made you so sad but I never found anything that would help. Sometimes a white lie will help. Make up a nonexistant friend who has just passed away in another state and go on to work. Take tissues with you. She was too young to die and you had so many good times together. You need to keep private things private until you come to grips. I hope there is someone you can turn to when it is safe to cry again.

I hope what ever got you down there is something to bring you back up. But Ice works if you use a damp wash cloth with it so you do not damage your skin. And to let you know we have all been there I try to take deep breaths and call someone who cares.

You have to wash the salt that comes from the tears, away from the eyes and skin. You get better results washing with warm water rather than cold water. Then you could try slices of raw potato on the skin. If you have got any gel type skin treatments, they might help.

Just say that you have an allergy or an eye infection and wear sunglasses to work. Say that the light makes your eyes hurt.

I'm an expert on this subject. This time of year, as the daffodils are coming out, I can just cry over absolutely nothing for hours. I keep thinking about sad stories, and I mean fictional stories, and start crying all over again. I am being silly and illogical! I don't know why this happens but perhaps you have something similar.

Is there any home remedy to uplift eyelids?

By Michelle

How can I treat sagging eyelids?

By Romy

Answers

There was a book-Facercise - and it was exercises for the face and they work. Open your eyes as wide as you can, and put your fingers on the skin but don't stretch the skin around your eyes and try to close your eyes. If you feel a pull, that is what you want.

This will strengthen those muscles. Move your fingers to different positions so there is a pull as you open or close your eyes. Do this daily until the muscles are tired, but do it differently each day. If possible, take a picture of yourself now, and then a month later. It will take at least that long to see results and you will have to do these the rest of your life, but not everyday - just enough to keep those muscles toned. Good luck.

I'm going to try that exercise Chloelizabeth has posted, but I'm going to be very careful as dermatologists have always advised against tugging or stretching the extremely delicate skin around the eyes, and I'm not clear how holding part of the eyelid against motion is not going to stretch that skin.

Keeping the eyelids carefully moisturised does make a real difference in feel, if not in appearance. The moisturiser doesn't need to be expensive, although I do think the Estee Lauder or the top level Avon stuff works amazingly well-I just can't afford either product anymore. So I use baby oil. Cheap, and seems to work almost as well.

I always said I would never do cosmetic surgery as I began to see and feel the aging process, but I sure have changed my mind about one cosmetic surgical procedure-blepharoplasty! I wish I could afford it, I'd be in the surgery as quick as I could arrange an appointment.

Some insurance policies (and the NHS, I checked:) will cover the procedure BUT it has to be causing genuine visual problems. Some people with extremely hooded eyelids are rendered almost blind, and the sufferer really needs that surgery!

My saggy eyelids aren't that bad, but if I had the money lying about, I'd have the surgery in a heartbeat. Until then, I'll just keep the eyelids moisturised.

Please help me. I am a 64 yr. old woman with hooded eyelids. It runs in the family. Does anyone know of a home remedy or product that can help me? They are more severe in allergy season.

By Ann

Answers

Ann, I left a message on your account page.

Anonymous

Ann, I also have hereditary hooded eyes and when they become extra puffy I lay down with a slice of cold cucumber on each for a few minutes and it helps so much. If someone gives you the advise to use Preparation H do not do it! There are chemicals in it that product that are quite harmful to use around your eyes. It used to be safe but the manufacturers have changed the chemicals in it that are now only safe to use for it's original purpose.

I have under eye puffiness and eyelid puffiness when I'm tired or ate too much salt. I use the under eye anti-puffiness products and I put them on my eyelids as well. I do notice a difference. As Deeli mentioned, cucumber works really well too! and for sure don't use Preparation H.

I have puffy eye lids, so puffy that I don't have a place to put eyeshadow if I wanted to. Does anyone know how to shrink my puffiness? Hopefully someone has a home remedy.

By Joyce

I have had a problem with wrinkles for the last few years. It continues to get worse year by year. I have been trying a variety of products, but none seem to help. Will aloe be helpful?

Nava

Answers

Use preparation H for hemorrhoids. It causes the skin to tighten up and lasts for hours and there is no smell.

Try using olive oil nightly before going to bed. Rub just a drop or two around your eye and pat dry any excess oil. You'll notice a difference in about a week with regular use once a day.

For puffy eyes:
You can also try using black tea bags that have been soaked in cold water for a moment, then lay down with the tea bags on your eyes for about 15 minutes. The caffeine will help stimulate the puffiness and cause the skin to restrict.
Cucumbers would work too in place of tea bags.
Once you get a steady routine down, it should reduce the visibility.

What can be done for swelling around eyes and nose?

By Lynda (crabby) from Kearny, NJ

Answers

If the swelling is allergy or sensitivity-related, I have found that the best remedy is cold black tea compresses (or you can use the teabags themselves)- especially for the eyes. If it is a contact allergy (usually from your hands to your facial area), around your nose you can apply cortisone cream. Again, cold tea is good for eyes - but antihistamines taken internally will help for allergy eyes (I take generic Claritin, then Zyrtec & if all fails - go to Benadryl - which does make you drowsy.) I have also found that applying stye ointment inside your eyelids can ease irritation - also try allergy eye drops - & wash out your eyes with regular Murine or Simulsan allergy drops, which can be used often. If you work around irritants, wear glasses, even if you don't need them to SEE. (I wore clear ones when I used to demonstrate perfumes.)

I also apply petroleum jelly regularly to my eyelids to both lubricate & protect them & use eye cream beneath the eye. In the AM, a dab of witch hazel beneath your eye cream will help reduce swelling.

You have to be quite a detective when you get allergy irritation, identify the irritant & eliminate it, if at all possible & then, around the eye area proceed very gently & cautiously. (Oh, I have also used healthfood store calendula gel for irritations on my eyelids.)
You didn't state the origin of the swelling. Hope this helps.

The absolute best thing is tea bags. Brew yourself a cup of regular tea (like Lipton) then save the used tea bags & keep them in a cup in the fridge. After they're cold you relax & lay back & put the tea bags on your swollen areas (eyes & nose). It's the tannic acid in the tea bags that reduces the swelling, & the cold helps shrink the blood vessels to also help. I read about this trick over & over in my daughters fashion magazines. The fashion models swear by it! Cold cucumber slices also work. As does preparation H (the hemorrhoid cream) It has to be the brand name, not the one sold at the dollar store. At least that's what the models are quoted saying they can't live without for puffy & swollen eyes!

Can anyone recommend any products that really help reduce puffiness under the eyes?

Bonnie from Tuckerton, NJ

Answers:

Reducing Puffiness Under Eyes

I use Preparation H. A tiny bit under eyes. It does work and that is what some beauty contestants do to reduce puff. (11/30/2007)

By Gina

Reducing Puffiness Under Eyes

My friend uses witch hazel. Available at any drug store. (11/30/2007)

By siris

Reducing Puffiness Under Eyes

Drink more water, I notice mine more when I'm parched. (11/30/2007)

By kimhis

Reducing Puffiness Under Eyes

I have been on a new vitamin regimen and one of the vitamins have made my puffy dark circles under my eyes go away. I am taking E, B-100, magnesium, Flax oil and Fish oil, and Glucosamine/Chondroitin. I wish I could pinpoint which one helped my puffiness, but I started this all at the same time. I suffer from Endometriosis and thought I would try a natural route instead of more medicine. My pain hasn't diminished, but I have noticed a big improvement with my skin. Maybe you could try a multivitamin.
(12/01/2007)

By Sandy

Reducing Puffiness Under Eyes

Cold wet teabags will help. (12/08/2007)

By Shyun Shun

Reducing Puffiness Under Eyes

I recently did a survey for this subject. It recommended getting more rest, drinking more water, and exercise. (12/15/2007)

By badwater

Reducing Puffiness Under Eyes

If remedies don't work for you. Take some gold eyeshadow and place it on the corners of your eyes. (01/01/2008)

Reducing Puffiness Under Eyes

I use the Rite Aid brand of Prep. H., (much cheaper the the name brand) the clear gel. I apply a thin layer with a q-tip on the top lid and then under my eye. Then a light touch of powder after it dries. Do not use the cream, it doesn't dry. (01/14/2008)

By lindakerwin

Reducing Puffiness Under Eyes

1. Mix a tsp active yeast with a little yogurt to make a thick paste. Apply it under your eye and lie down for 15 minutes. Helps reduce puff and dark circles, too.

2. Put 2 teaspoons in the freezer for few hours, then put the teaspoons on your eyes and relax for few minutes.

3. Moisten two regular tea bags in cold water (avoid Earl Grey. The bergamot could irritate eyes.), then leave in the fridge until chilled. Place over eyes and lie back for about ten minutes.

4. Slices of cool cucumber and raw potato may also do the job. Thanks to their anti-irritating and anti-inflammatory benefits.

5. Make sure you're clocking up enough shut-eye. Tiredness is a major cause of puffiness. Also try sleeping on two pillows. When your head is elevated, excess fluids drain away more easily.

6. Use a concealer in a shade slightly darker than your natural skin tone, which will play down any bagginess. Whatever you do, avoid a light, shimmery concealer which does just the opposite. Similarly, keep glittery or glimmery shadow away from dark patches. You may actually find you're best off limiting eye makeup to concealer and a flick of mascara, and moving the attention to your mouth, with a strong lipstick-lashed lip.

7. Avoid salt. It retains water and causes the body to generally bloat. Alcohol, too, can contribute to a puff-up. Drink between one to two liters of water per day, to keep fluids flushing through your system. Try starting the day with warm water infused with lemon. A great way to clean out and kick-start your sluggish morning system. A burst of exercise will help to get things going, too. Even if it's just a five-minute frenzy of star-jumps. (03/28/2008)

By guddi