Sugar Free Recipes and Advice

I'm starting a diet (again), I need to make it work this time, where so many times before it failed. I read your ThrifyFun newsletters and I would like some "sugar-free" recipes and other "diet" recipes. Also, some hints for success would help. It would be great if you had a "healthy" or "diet" section for us "hard to succeed" dieters. I would love some sugar-free recipes, and "diet" recipes, please help!

Glinda from Glendale, KY

Answers:

Sugar Free Recipes and Advice

Are you looking for low-carb, in general? First, I would suggest going to splenda.com and signing up for their newsletter and promotions (coupons). They are the best in terms of carb-free sweetener, with little/no side effects. Eat lots of vegetables, especially salad (actually a "free" food in terms of carbs) and look for foods high in dietary fiber. And drink lots of water, or you can make Kool-aid with Splenda (and they have a cute promotion with a free spoon on specially marked packages!) You can even make hot cocoa with it (with baking cocoa), but mix the Splenda cold before adding hot milk. When you buy applesauce, get unsweetened; Treetop seems to make the best, only using juice, and a lot less sugar.

If you are interested in some information on glycemic index, here is a link with menus and information on starting: http://www.shaklee.net/healthy_home101/prodWeiPlan. You can download all this information for free. My DH has been doing it since May 8 (he was on a rollercoaster ride: on and off Atkins for two years.) I combined this with my gestational diabetes experience (heavy eating discipline) and The Zone Diet (which is essentially this, but in equal proportions of carbs and protien and fats.) He is less cranky, has more energy, and is down at least 1/2 a size without any exercise (we are still working on that). I am most impressed with how his eating quantities have changed, no more third helpings, and rarely asks for seconds, even on pizza. It took a long time for him to eat bread again, but he is starting to "feel" the importance of starches in moderation. And remember, the more you deprive yourself, the more susceptible you'll be to binging. Be good to yourself and eat dark chocolate.

If you need any information please feel free to leave me a message. I understand your frustration. (07/13/2006)

By camo_angels

Sugar Free Recipes and Advice

You could try stevia. It is a natural herb (a white powder) that is super sweet and is a popular zero calorie sweetener in Japan. You can find it in health food stores. We like it a my house.
As for diet tips, a friend of mine lost more than 100 pounds by eating only half of what she wanted at every meal. She didn't even exercise.
Good luck. (07/13/2006)

By S. Lech

Sugar Free Recipes and Advice

One thing I do for a treat or snack or dessert, is fix a box of sugar free Jello, mixing in just the one cup of hot water, stir to dissolve. Then instead of adding cold water I add a carton of fat free/lite yogurt. If the yogurt is 8 oz. size, that is enough, if it is a 6 oz. size container, then add 1/4 cup cold water. Mix thoroughly. I do key lime Jello with key lime yogurt, peach with peach, lemon with lemon, etc. The only combination I did not like as much was black cherry. You can add well drained fruit if you like. Use fat free whipped topping and you have a great dessert. (07/14/2006)

By Linda L

Sugar Free Recipes and Advice

Look into Flylady.net a must for persons trying to control their house, their lives, and their weight. It is a free website and you will be addicted to it/her system in no time, I know I was, plus I lost 20 pounds in 6 months with her, had a happy, well fed family, and a clean house! All this with working 40 to 50 hours a week.

Do yourself a large favor and check her site out.

Good luck hun. (07/15/2006)

By Paula Jo

Sugar Free Recipes and Advice

My dietitian said that Splenda was OK for diabetics. When I inquired because that a pal was trying to push me to use Stevia. The dietitian said Stevia was "too sweet for diabetics". Hope this helps. (07/28/2006)

By badwater

Sugar Free Recipes and Advice
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Sugar Free Eggnog
Sugar Free Eggnog Recipes
Sugar-Free Candy
Sugar-Free Candy Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🎉
🎄