Sweet 16 Birthday Party Ideas

Category Birthday
In some cultures a girl's 16th birthday party is traditionally a very special occasion. This is a guide about sweet 16 birthday party ideas.

Two young girls in masquerade masks at a party

This is a guide about sweet 16 masquerade party ideas. Planning a masquerade theme for your 16th party is romantic and fun.

I am Zach Lau and I'm turning 16 next month. I was wondering if you can give me any ideas for my party because I want it to be the best that no one will ever forget.

My boys loved birthday parties but they also did not like a traditional party. All of our teen parties were supervised by several adults  (just supervised).

Here are some suggestions  some parties we have tried that turned out great and others they have attended. Some of these may be outside your budget or the actual places may not be available in your area  but maybe they will give you some ideas:

16th Birthday Party Ideas:

Karaoke  a family place

Rock Climbing  indoor area

Miniature Golf  great fun if the course is fun

go kart track  everybody loved this but signed adult permission is usually required

BBQ outing with an outdoor movie (we borrowed equipment from church)

Hope you have an unforgettable (and safe) 16th birthday!

Okay, I'm turning 16 in November. But, having a party requires inviting the people I call friends who in the end will not show up and put my parents out a butt load of money. I want to do something with 5 or 6 people that is Halloweenish (apparently that's not a word). Haunted houses are a bore though. I have drawn a complete blank and my parents want me to figure out what I'm doing. Please help?

By Alexis C.

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Ooh, I just had a thought, what about a limo/bus and a driving tour of the haunted houses in your area. We are in Denver and there is a lot and then a sleepover with scary movies!

My sweet sixteen is in January and I'm gonna invite twenty or so people. I'm not big on dressing up and all that. I wanted to have a bonfire party thing, but it'll be winter so it might not work. I'm really on a low budget since I'll be paying for it myself. Any ideas will help!

Think what your friends like best - music and dancing? doing each others makeup? Film and popcorn/pizza? We recently had a cupcake party where everyone could unleash their creative talents with icing on plain cakes and those who weren't creative just ate them. Think of unusual games to play like getting a poster of your favourite heartthrob and see who can get nearest to kissing him/her on the lips while blindfolded or seeing who can eat the most maltesers/whoppers with a knife and fork in 30 seconds. Finish off the party with a lucky dip of small gifts wrapped in newsprint.

I am in the UK and we have a childrens party game called pass the parcel - I have found this also for some reason goes down well with teenagers and even adults

Food? baked potatoes with a choice of butter, cheese, tuna and salad usually go down well, especially in the winter and shouldn't cost too much

I am turning sixteen in the beginning of September. My mom is completely against having a large party, so I am thinking to save up and then approach her about it when I have the money to pay. However, I have no idea what to do for my party. Plus, I have closer friends where I live now, but most live hundreds of miles away :( as I moved here recently. Help!

It's hard to have a party with absentee friends. Maybe you want to save for a video conference with all of them?

You can also concentrate on making a friend or two locally, and inviting them to a movie or pizza.

My 16th birthday is coming up and I can't spend a lot of money on it. I live in a 2 bed room apartment and don't have room to do it there. Are there any cheap places inside I could have my birthday party?

If you or your family are affiliated with a church they might have a lead on a place. Or sometimes apartment complexes have a rec room of some sort.

So my birthday is in late October and for my party I'm taking around 8 friends to lunch or dinner and then 3 of my closest friends are sleeping over after, but I need ideas on what to do in between with all 8 of my friends attending. The only problem is I can't take them to my house because I just recently moved 40 minutes away. So I need ideas on things to do after lunch or dinner in New Jersey, not too expensive. BTW the lunch/dinner may be in NYC so if you have any ideas for things to do in the city please share. Thank you!

this is probably too late for you and I hope you had a good birthday. The obvious thing to do under those circumstances is to find a nice park to go to, or one of those shopping areas off the turnpike that you see that have all the food courts and do something there.

I'm turning 16 at the end of August and I have no idea what to do for my party. I either want just a few of my close friends or some of my guy friends as well, I'm not sure yet. I know I want a sleepover at the end of the party. (Guys have to go home of course.) I am kind of sporty and I love sweets! Any help?

By Meg

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Well, based off what your telling me if sounds like your a fun loving sweet girl and I would say that this is inexpensive and fun. Buy candy from a local store, light up balloons, and ribbon. You can get this from Walmart around the total of 30$ get two packs of light up balloons around $5 per pack.

Get four roles of ribbon any color around $3 per pack. 2 packs of your choice of candy preferably ones in rappers around $5 per pack. Here's the plan; blow of the light up balloons. Tie 5 inch ribbon on the end of the balloons to secure the air in them then tie the candy at the end of the ribbon then turn of the lights. You will have a game of find the candy at night (don't put candy on all of them it's funnier) :) Hoped this helped.

My birthday is in less than 4 months. I am inviting no more than 7 people (4 at least). I'm a girly girl, but my tom-boy side peaks out every now and then. I really want to do a fancy dinner in Highland Park, Texas, and everybody has to dress up, like dress and heels. At the same time, I want it to be really funny, messy, and memorable party.

I'm having a cousin fly in from Miami, so it has to be special! If you can think of an idea between those please tell me. I thought of just renting a lake house for a weekend with 3 people and staying out of hotel, but I don't see the fun. So, the most fun I can see is at my house. I want a glow in the dark theme, but you can't get really good pictures. No 80's or Hawaiian theme. I'm intrigued with the winter wonderland, dress to impress, Fire and Ice, and Glamour. I don't want something over the top like renting out a club, just nice and classy and casual (eeeaaakkkk). Those don't go together really well.

Thanks.

If I had a winter birthday I'd definitely make the best of the season! You could pull off winter wonderland themed decor with fire and ice. A few ideas:

1. Use clear/crystal glass beads in a garland with white Christmas lights

2. You can also fill vases with the lights

3. http://www.cand  g-the-light.html

Combine fire and ice for a glow-in-the-dark walkway. I imagine you could make mini-versions of these ice candles with coffee cans and your freezer. They should last for a few hours outside if you use tealights or votives, depending on how big you make them.

4. In addition to asking for semi-formal dress, make your invitations look formal and tied in with whatever theme you choose so your guests remember to dress up.

5. My mom and I once frosted our windows with fake snow spray and paper cutouts. Easy cleanup too! You should be able to find spray cans at the craft stores come November. If not, it's available online from Joanne's and Amazon.

I will be doing my sweet 16 on a yacht. There will be around 15 to 16 girls and boys, but we won't be doing any swimming. It's just that I'm worried they will get bored or something, so I want a few interesting and fun things to do. Any suggestions?

Bored on a yacht?

I'm having a sweet 16, but I dont know what I want the theme to be or how to start the planning. It'll be in June 2016, 4-5 months after my actual birthday. Help?

theme?

what are your favorite things to do and what are you into? you can have a simple basic theme or a theme where people can know what your into. just make a list of what you are into and what you like and choose one from your list and im sure it will be amazing.

So I turn 16 in October; that's in two months. I kinda don't want a Halloween party, I'm thinking about a Hollywood theme, or pink zebra print. I don't know, I'm really confused. BTW it's on a boat.

Wow...on a boat huh? Nice!

I know you said no Halloween theme BUT if you wanted a Hollywood theme...how about a Costume party where the guests have to dress up as a Hollywood actors or as character from a movie? Might be fun!!

Or you can theme it Birthday Love Boat...and take photo's of everyone as couples, play love songs, use hearts all around, maybe having a kissing booth, hahaha...

Enjoy your birthday!

I am having my 16th birthday party at my local park. I looked at rooms to rent and it was way too expensive. It will be under a gazebo with some tables. I have picked out decorations and put together a candy buffet, but I am afraid that my friends will get bored. I would have it in my backyard, but I just moved and my yard isn't big enough. If anyone has any ideas to keep my friends busy that would be so helpful.

By cassidy.bonner

You could have a scavenger hunt - items you can find in the park or items YOU hide. Kinda like an Easter egg hunt but more sophisticated. Play croquet; any child yard games would be fun for teens! Have a Happy and Blessed birthday!

My birthday is coming up (Novmeber 13th) and I was planning on travelling (from Florida) to NYC with a couple of friends. The thing is, I have no idea what to do while there. I was thinking of staying 5-7 days since it's a school week after all.
Anyway, the question is: What hotel should we stay at? (Not too expensive, but not too cheap. I'd say 4-5 star hotel). What to spend my day doing? (Going shopping, dinner, spa day, etc?) Should I rent a limo to take us places?

By Mariana F

This is pretend, right? I'll go along. You can have a spa day anywhere. In NYC, go to a Broadway play, or to several. Get on www.google.com and search on museums and galleries in NYC. Search on "unique attractions in NYC". Get around by taxi and bus. See the Statue of Liberty, there's no where else in the world you can see that. See Chinatown and Central Park.

Your post makes it clear you have no experience traveling. Things will go better if you involve an experienced traveler in making your plans.

I'm turning 16 in July. I have a group of friends I can invite and a few close close friends. I'm not one to have a bunch of attention and I also am not this huge social light extravagant person. I originally thought a fancy dinner and some games while out to dinner, but it was kind of expensive.

I don't know if I want casual party, but I don't want super crazy so I'm open to a bunch of ideas whatever can be thought of! I also thought maybe a spa day? But I don't know. I'm looking for some creative ideas! Any idea will help. I am undecided if it will be girls only or if it'll be girls and guys I don't have many guy friends, it would probably be my family that was the guys. So either idea will be great! Thanks everyone.

My daughter is turning 16 and she doesn't want to have a typical Sweet 16. I understand and I want to throw her something super original. Paintball is too much of a guy party, but she wants something active so all her friends won't be sitting around. She likes to have fun, but I need help on what to do. Any suggestions?

By Parkkk from Miami, FL

How about a hay ride and a corn maze at your closest horse riding facility. They are lots of fun!

I turn 16 in May and 3 of my girl friends and I are going to stay at my aunt's house overnight by the pool, but I'm not sure of activities we could do. Also, there isn't anwhere we could go close by and on my family's very small budget being my little brothers birthday is a month after. I know I don't wanna do a scavenger hunt, but we need something to do when we aren't swimming, talking, playing with my baby cousin, and watching TV. Please help, it's very appreciated. Thanks!

By Destiny

Here are a few ideas off the top of my head - borrow some movies from the library for a movie night (no charge from a library, usually), board games - something new or classics from when you were kids, like Monoploy or Clue, card games. You can sometimes borrow board games from a library as well. Have a spa time. Give each other mani/pedis &/or facials.

You can find recipes for different spa treatments and masks online for recipes that can be made out of household ingredients such as oatmeal or mashed cucumber, which would be lower cost than things you might purchase at the drug store. You might also do some cooking together -- home made pizza with assorted toppings, for instance.

I'm turning 16 next month. I need help doing a cheap sweet 16 party (not a big thing). I don't know what to do for my party, and I need help.

By Ana T.

For throwing a Sweet 16 Party everyone wants it to be cheap! So it depends how many people you want round.

5-7 Guests: just have a simple 'goof' around haha. Maybe do a throwback theme where everyone brings a picture of them when they were smaller. You can watch a movie you used to like, eat and play your favorite tunes!

*Everyone*: By everyone, I don't mean throw a party for your whole generation :) Invite some of your guy and girl friends for a disco. You could have the theme of 'Paris', '70s', 'sweet', 'cute' but makesure it would be enjoyable for the guys aswell!

Hope these helped :)

So I'm turning sixteen in two weeks. I had in mind something active and something that will keep them moving (so there isn't a lot of awkwardness as is the usual for teens) and off their phones! All my guy and girl friends like outdoor/crazy stuff, but it's super cold and skiing isn't exactly great right now. Any good active indoor ideas that don't involve soccer either?

By Bethany

I think you should do golf cart riding then dinner or movie.

Does anyone have any ideas? My birthday is in November and I have yet to pick out every little detail! Do you have any ideas for me? I am a girl and hate the color pink.

By cookiesluvthat

Just did this very thiing for my God daughter. We went with a Mexican Fiesta theme - bright colors, even reverted to chiildhood a bit and had pinata and played pin the tail on the donkey. We served both beef and chicken fajitas, tacos, mexican rice, chili, chips and salsa, guacamole and a cupcake tower. We saw teenagers turn into little kids again, playing duck duck goose and other child games. They had a ball! Of course, we decorated with bright colors, balloons, streamers, etc. Hope this helps and Happy Birthday!

In December I celebrate my 16th birthday. I 'm going to invite 10 to 15 friends to come to a party in the garden. Now the question is, what can we do? I have thought for a few days but come up only with rather boring ideas.Can anyone help ? I would prefer to do things that you can do with a whole (mixed ) group.

Load More