Sweet 16 Birthday Party Ideas

In some cultures a girl's 16th birthday party is traditionally a very special occasion. This is a guide about sweet 16 birthday party ideas.

Cupcakes for a sweet 16 birthday party.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 10, 2013 Flag

Okay, I'm turning 16 in November. But, having a party requires inviting the people I call friends who in the end will not show up and put my parents out a butt load of money. I want to do something with 5 or 6 people that is Halloweenish (apparently that's not a word). Haunted houses are a bore though. I have drawn a complete blank and my parents want me to figure out what I'm doing. Please help?

By Alexis C.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ooh, I just had a thought, what about a limo/bus and a driving tour of the haunted houses in your area. We are in Denver and there is a lot and then a sleepover with scary movies!

Read More Answers...

April 12, 2016 Flag

I'm turning 16 in July. I have a group of friends I can invite and a few close close friends. I'm not one to have a bunch of attention and I also am not this huge social light extravagant person. I originally thought a fancy dinner and some games while out to dinner, but it was kind of expensive.

I don't know if I want casual party, but I don't want super crazy so I'm open to a bunch of ideas whatever can be thought of! I also thought maybe a spa day? But I don't know. I'm looking for some creative ideas! Any idea will help. I am undecided if it will be girls only or if it'll be girls and guys I don't have many guy friends, it would probably be my family that was the guys. So either idea will be great! Thanks everyone.

October 21, 2015 Flag

My birthday is in less than 4 months. I am inviting no more than 7 people (4 at least). I'm a girly girl, but my tom-boy side peaks out every now and then. I really want to do a fancy dinner in Highland Park, Texas, and everybody has to dress up, like dress and heels. At the same time, I want it to be really funny, messy, and memorable party.

I'm having a cousin fly in from Miami, so it has to be special! If you can think of an idea between those please tell me. I thought of just renting a lake house for a weekend with 3 people and staying out of hotel, but I don't see the fun. So, the most fun I can see is at my house. I want a glow in the dark theme, but you can't get really good pictures. No 80's or Hawaiian theme. I'm intrigued with the winter wonderland, dress to impress, Fire and Ice, and Glamour. I don't want something over the top like renting out a club, just nice and classy and casual (eeeaaakkkk). Those don't go together really well.

Thanks.

If I had a winter birthday I'd definitely make the best of the season! You could pull off winter wonderland themed decor with fire and ice. A few ideas:

1. Use clear/crystal glass beads in a garland with white Christmas lights

2. You can also fill vases with the lights

3. http://www.candle-night.org/en/cand ... /ice-candles-shedding-the-light.html

Combine fire and ice for a glow-in-the-dark walkway. I imagine you could make mini-versions of these ice candles with coffee cans and your freezer. They should last for a few hours outside if you use tealights or votives, depending on how big you make them.

4. In addition to asking for semi-formal dress, make your invitations look formal and tied in with whatever theme you choose so your guests remember to dress up.

5. My mom and I once frosted our windows with fake snow spray and paper cutouts. Easy cleanup too! You should be able to find spray cans at the craft stores come November. If not, it's available online from Joanne's and Amazon.

October 16, 2015 Flag

I will be doing my sweet 16 on a yacht. There will be around 15 to 16 girls and boys, but we won't be doing any swimming. It's just that I'm worried they will get bored or something, so I want a few interesting and fun things to do. Any suggestions?

Bored on a yacht?

August 9, 2013 Flag

I'm turning 16 at the end of August and I have no idea what to do for my party. I either want just a few of my close friends or some of my guy friends as well, I'm not sure yet. I know I want a sleepover at the end of the party. (Guys have to go home of course.) I am kind of sporty and I love sweets! Any help?

By Meg

Well your theme cpuld be Candy Crush cause you like candy n crush 2 show ur sporty side.I add a link off a pic i made for u to ues on the front off your invitations. And u could have candy n cupcakes with sporty wapers on them.

Well good luck!!!!!!

Read More Answers...

August 5, 2015 Flag

So I turn 16 in October; that's in two months. I kinda don't want a Halloween party, I'm thinking about a Hollywood theme, or pink zebra print. I don't know, I'm really confused. BTW it's on a boat.

Wow...on a boat huh? Nice!

I know you said no Halloween theme BUT if you wanted a Hollywood theme...how about a Costume party where the guests have to dress up as a Hollywood actors or as character from a movie? Might be fun!!

Or you can theme it Birthday Love Boat...and take photo's of everyone as couples, play love songs, use hearts all around, maybe having a kissing booth, hahaha...

Enjoy your birthday!

July 22, 2014 Flag

I am having my 16th birthday party at my local park. I looked at rooms to rent and it was way too expensive. It will be under a gazebo with some tables. I have picked out decorations and put together a candy buffet, but I am afraid that my friends will get bored. I would have it in my backyard, but I just moved and my yard isn't big enough. If anyone has any ideas to keep my friends busy that would be so helpful.

By cassidy.bonner

What sorts of things do your friends like? I'm thinking of sports such as softball, soccer, badminton. Could you do those sorts of games? I am also a big fan of scavenger hunts; I think they can be a hoot. Divide the group into teams. You could also make up a treasure hunt, which involves set up - so it is more trouble. Groups follow clues from one place to another, solving the clue riddles, till they get to the treasure - some sort of fun treat/prize. What sorts of activities are there available in the park? Perhaps you could do some of them - eg minigolf. There are also all sorts of lawn games - bocce ball, and so on, if you have access to the equipment.

Read More Answers...

July 31, 2013 Flag

My birthday is coming up (Novmeber 13th) and I was planning on travelling (from Florida) to NYC with a couple of friends. The thing is, I have no idea what to do while there. I was thinking of staying 5-7 days since it's a school week after all.
          Anyway, the question is: What hotel should we stay at? (Not too expensive, but not too cheap. I'd say 4-5 star hotel). What to spend my day doing? (Going shopping, dinner, spa day, etc?) Should I rent a limo to take us places?

By Mariana F

It might be that you have tons of money, you didn't say. But if you expect to do all you described, you will need it. Here are a few reality checks for you.

http://manhattancoach.com/rates.php that start at 79.00 for two hours.

And I tried to find a 4 star hotel that would give me rates but I have to reserve a room, first. You have time to talk to people who have seen the city on a budget and plan ahead. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

February 23, 2015 Flag

I turn 16 in May and 3 of my girl friends and I are going to stay at my aunt's house overnight by the pool, but I'm not sure of activities we could do. Also, there isn't anwhere we could go close by and on my family's very small budget being my little brothers birthday is a month after. I know I don't wanna do a scavenger hunt, but we need something to do when we aren't swimming, talking, playing with my baby cousin, and watching TV. Please help, it's very appreciated. Thanks!

By Destiny

Here are a few ideas off the top of my head - borrow some movies from the library for a movie night (no charge from a library, usually), board games - something new or classics from when you were kids, like Monoploy or Clue, card games. You can sometimes borrow board games from a library as well. Have a spa time. Give each other mani/pedis &/or facials.

You can find recipes for different spa treatments and masks online for recipes that can be made out of household ingredients such as oatmeal or mashed cucumber, which would be lower cost than things you might purchase at the drug store. You might also do some cooking together -- home made pizza with assorted toppings, for instance.

December 26, 2014 Flag

I'm turning 16 next month. I need help doing a cheap sweet 16 party (not a big thing). I don't know what to do for my party, and I need help.

By Ana T.

For throwing a Sweet 16 Party everyone wants it to be cheap! So it depends how many people you want round.

5-7 Guests: just have a simple 'goof' around haha. Maybe do a throwback theme where everyone brings a picture of them when they were smaller. You can watch a movie you used to like, eat and play your favorite tunes!

*Everyone*: By everyone, I don't mean throw a party for your whole generation :) Invite some of your guy and girl friends for a disco. You could have the theme of 'Paris', '70s', 'sweet', 'cute' but makesure it would be enjoyable for the guys aswell!

Hope these helped :)

October 23, 2009 Flag

My daughter is turning 16 and she doesn't want to have a typical Sweet 16. I understand and I want to throw her something super original. Paintball is too much of a guy party, but she wants something active so all her friends won't be sitting around. She likes to have fun, but I need help on what to do. Any suggestions?

By Parkkk from Miami, FL

I will never forget the fun had by all those in attendance at my triplets sweet 16. They all have momentos to help them remember as well. I bought size 2X size t-shirts for each teen, decorating the front with the statement" I went to a rockin' sweet 16 birthday party and all I got was this totally awesome sleep shirt. They decorated the back of them while eating cake and ice cream in the middle of the party. Near the end of the party, we had an unbiased person (a neighbor who had no idea what t-shirt belonged to what guest), judge the teens' art work. A prize was given for the one chosen.

Some game ideas: a ladle race-carry a softball size water balloon, filled of course, from one corner of your street to the next. If the balloon is dropped and busted, that person is out.

Say cheese-pair off and blindfold each person. slather one persons face with redi-whip. Sit each pair in chairs, facing each other, about 3 feet apart. hand the dry faced member a small mixing bowl full of cheese puffs. The players have 3 minutes to make as many puffs stick as possible. directions can be given (only by the receiving partner) such as 'more to the left', etc. puffs that fall off no longer count. a prize is given to each member of the winning team. in the rare case of a tie, a small amount of puffs are put in a bowl and the tied teams guess the number of puffs. closest without going over, wins.

One last game. Cupcake races-best played on the porch or floor. The players are seated on their knees, with their hands tied behind their backs. Overly decorated cupcakes (still in the paper cups) are placed in front of each player. First one to finish their messy treat wins the prize. (hint: it will be nearly impossible to clean the cup, decide the amount that is acceptable to be left to claim a winner)

Memory jar-each guest writes a memory they have of the birthday girl/boy. The honoree has to read each, one at a time, and guess who wrote it. I prize is given fo those who bluff him/her.

Prize suggestions:

Gift certificates for a favorite fast food hangout, a gift card for a video/music store, a movie theater ticket, gift card for a bookstore or favorite clothing store, packages of cookies, 2-liter bottles of soda. These can be placed out all together so a winner can pick the prize that fits them, eliminating the possibility of, for example, a diabetic winning cookies.

Good luck and have fun!

Read More Answers...

November 29, 2013 Flag

I will be turning 16 soon and I have no idea what to do. I want to have a great party. I'm only inviting like 8-10 friends, so it can't be too big. We are all around the same age, and I want to do something memorable for all of us. My birthday is in March so the weather should be good. Please if anyone has any good ideas, or even just a theme to base my party on? Help!
          L.H:)

By Lileya H.

We just had my daughter's Sweet 16 party.. it was on a larger scale. She did a "glow party" with glow sticks, necklaces, cups and anything that glowed in the dark. It was pretty cool and everyone had fun. The dollar stores usually have glow sticks... a few for a dollar. Just a suggestion.

Read More Answers...

December 2, 2014 Flag

So I'm turning sixteen in two weeks. I had in mind something active and something that will keep them moving (so there isn't a lot of awkwardness as is the usual for teens) and off their phones! All my guy and girl friends like outdoor/crazy stuff, but it's super cold and skiing isn't exactly great right now. Any good active indoor ideas that don't involve soccer either?

By Bethany

I think you should do golf cart riding then dinner or movie.

November 11, 2014 Flag

In December I celebrate my 16th birthday. I 'm going to invite 10 to 15 friends to come to a party in the garden. Now the question is, what can we do? I have thought for a few days but come up only with rather boring ideas.
          Can anyone help ? I would prefer to do things that you can do with a whole (mixed ) group.
          Thank you!

By Hannah W. from Beerse, Belgium

I think you should have a Hollywood party and have a red carpet. You can have best dress and take pictures. You could play the best star and at the end each get a picture of them.

September 14, 2013 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas? My birthday is in November and I have yet to pick out every little detail! Do you have any ideas for me? I am a girl and hate the color pink.

By cookiesluvthat

Hi I think that you could do a ball like party but with a touch of danger to it to get people excited. I think can help here's my facebook name Makaykay Jackson. Look me up and tell me more about how you want your party and I'll tell you some well great ideas. My blog email is MissRubyRed7 @ gmail.com and I'm not some creepy. I'm a freshman in high school and love to plan parties.

Read More Answers...

July 17, 2005 Flag

I am going to be 16 in December and I want ideas for my Sweet 16 party. I am going to have all girls ages 11 to 18 There will be about 18 to 20 girls. I live in a small town so there is not a lot to do here. I want it to be big and fun. We are all dancers. Money is not a big deal seeing that my dad is paying for it. I have no clue what to do so help me.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
          Load More
          Holidays and Parties Parties BirthdayFebruary 6, 2013
          A 16 year old girl holding a cake at her birthday with friends.
          16th Birthday Party Ideas for Girls
          Bicycle Themed Birthday Party
          Bicycle Themed Birthday Party Ideas
          12th Birthday Party
          12th Birthday Party Ideas for Boys
          A girl looking through birthday balloons.
          Birthday Party Ideas for Teens
          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 27, 2016 at 12:05:23 AM on 10.0.2.150 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.