Sweet Potato Pie Recipes
A traditional open face pie popular in the southern US. This page contains sweet potato pie recipes
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I had never tried sweet potato pie before this recipe. My husband's relatives, who are from the South, rave about it. So, it's a keeper! This has the same spice flavors as pumpkin pie, but it's very different. It's good on it's own or with some ice cream on top. If you've never tried sweet potato pie, you should try this.
Total Time: Including baking, about 2 hours
Yield: 1 pie
Source: Gale Gand's show from many years ago.
- 2 sweet potatoes (or 3, if the potatoes are kind of small)
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- pie crust
- Wash sweet potatoes. Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork. Wrap individually in foil. Bake at 425 degrees F for about 1 hour. I squeeze them, using a pot holder. If they are very soft, they are ready!
- Unwrap potatoes, being careful to not burn yourself. Cut potatoes crosswise, every inch or so. You don't want the pie to be too stringy. Peel the skins from the potatoes and put in a bowl.
- Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees F.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher. Add remaining ingredients (Minus the crust!). Mash or stir til mixed.
- Pour into a 9 inch pie shell. If your potatoes are on the large side, you may have extra filling. You could bake the rest in an oven-safe glass bowl. Place pie on a cooking sheet, just in case it spills over while baking.
Related Content(article continues below)
- Bake til pie is set, about 50 minutes.
- Once cool, serve by itself or with some ice cream on top.
April 15, 20150 found this helpful
Easy to make, using ready made crust. Great way to use left over cooked/baked sweet potato.
- 1/12 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground all spice
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can undiluted evaporated milk
- 1 standard pastry for 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie (frozen in store)
Mix all ingredients except pastry. Pour into pie pan. Bake in preheated hot oven (425 degrees F) for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 25-30 minutes longer or until set.
Makes 6-8 servings.
|Time:||15 Minutes Preparation Time|
35 Minutes Cooking Time
Source: Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery
By Bev from Carlsbad, CA
December 1, 20100 found this helpful
Great. My girlfriend was just looking for a sweet potato pie recipe. What are the chances. :-)
Southern comfort food that has a smooth custard texture that fills the home with the aromatic smells of the holiday. This pie takes me back in time when I spent the holidays at my Grandparents' home.Read More...
In large mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar. Add potatoes, eggs, corn syrup, nutmeg, salt, butter and evaporated milk; beat well. Pour into pastry shell and bake at 350 degrees F for 55-60 minutes.Read More...
ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.
I would like a good sweet potato pie recipe.
Emmett from Oakpark, IL
Sweet Potato Pie
this is the recipe I always use. Nice and easy! (12/08/2006)
Sweet Potato Pie
I just use Libby's famous pumpkin pie recipe (on back of the can), but substitute sweet potatoes for the pumpkin. (12/08/2006)
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust baked and cooled as directed on package
- 2 1/2 cups mashed, cooked sweet potatoes
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 Tbsp. maple flavored syrup
Heat oven to 350 degrees F, add all ingredients in large mixing bowl adding syrup last. Stir well. Pour into shell and bake 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
By IMAQT1962 from ILLINOIS
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on February 12, 2017 at 12:23:04 PM on 10.0.0.166 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us