Teaching a Puppy Not to Bite

It's part of a puppy's nature to nibble on things and bite, but as they get bigger, this type of behavior can be dangerous. This guide is about responsibly teaching your puppy not bite.

June 1, 2011 Flag

I have a 7 week old blue Pit Bull female. I have had her since she was 5 weeks old. When I let her out to play, she likes to bite, snap, and growl sometimes when I pet her, and she's even like that with kids. I'm trying to break her out of that, but she is very hard headed.

I tried popping her on her nose with a newspaper. I tried holding her mouth and saying "no bite". Is it common for them to be so aggressive that young? So I want to know different methods to use to break her from biting and snapping rather me popping her on her nose.

By Wallace from Houston, TX

Best Answer

I don't know if you are aware, but the blue pits are known to be the most aggressive and normally are quite hard to deal with. I am not a pit bull hater, my son having had a beautiful female, and raised a male pup from the only litter he let her have, (12 pups). He said all the people he knows who have children will not keep a blue nose in their family, as they just don't trust them. All pups nip and chew when they are teething, but the snarling and snapping are not the normal "need to cut teeth". It might be better to change horses mid stream than to have lots of problems later.

Best Answer

Definitely do not hit the dog. That is teaching them to be aggressive. Instead try buying puppy teething rings. When the pup growls at you, in a low tone voice say "no" and do not give any attention to the pup after that because any attention is positive attention to the pup right now. You can also try a water bottle, it's not abusive and it's effective. When the pup does something wrong, spray them with the water bottle and say no in a deep voice. It's been very effective for many people. If nothing works, I hate to say but you may need to get rid of the dog for the safety of your kids. Good luck!

January 25, 2011 Flag

Boxer Biting ToyAny suggestions on how to keep a 5 month old Boxer puppy from biting and nipping?

By Cammi from DE

Best Answer

Here's my two cents:

I've raised several puppies of all breeds, including pits, over the years and I have always been persistent and consistent with my discipline when it comes to puppies and biting (this will also help when training not to chew certain things in the near future).

I grab either top or bottom jaw and squeeze firmly with a voice command. If this hasn't helped within a week or so I will add to that grab by taking the lip and press it on their very sharp teeth. Yes, it does hurt a bit, but you don't need to pinch so hard she bleeds! Also, if we're playing and puppy bites too hard, I yelp. I yelp louder than it actually hurt. The pup understands that communication because that's exactly what another dog would do.

It is imperative that you learn about dog psychology. YOU, not the dog, are the ALPHA. You and any other members of the family (including children) need to know how to treat him like the Omega. It is imperative to do this from as early an age as possible. (this is a whole subject in itself) Here's an example of what many people do that is in direct conflict with keeping the dog in the Omega position:

1. playing tug of war and losing - you must not let go, aka losing, you can train them at the same time to 'drop it' and when you're done playing then have him 'drop it' and throw and you're done but did not lose!

2. letting a dog lean on you or lay on the couch or stare at you while you are eating - all of these things are behaviors of dominance (unless they are commanded to do such things)

3. letting the dog walk through a doorway in front of you or letting dog walk in front of you while walking the dog - walking properly is utterly imperative (the list goes on.) I recommend if you either do not believe these things or have never heard of them before, please do research online and see for yourself.

EXERCISE then DISCIPLINE and then and only then AFFECTION. We need to remember one very simple truth: Dogs are not humans. Now matter how much we want them to be they do not see the world and express themselves in the same way that we do. Not understanding how a dog thinks is detrimental to the dog.

Make sure he has plenty of safe, chewable things (I buy rawhide from Sam's Club - all natural, no flavoring and long lasting).

Lastly, I would definitely invest in a large kennel (wire or plastic). For now, he needs to be kept in a place where he cannot chew anything he's not supposed to. It's not fair to get angry w/ a puppy who does not know yet what is ok and not ok in the household... and it is definitely not fair to get angry when the human doesn't put the puppy in a kennel to prevent any accidents. Eventually you will be able to let him in the house alone, but the ONLY way to train him whats ok and not ok is to catch him doing it. So, when you are home make sure you keep a close eye on the little guy so you can 'catch him in the act'.

If you dedicate yourself crate training him, and to walking him properly every day and taking him to the dog park to run, play and socialize, then you will end up with a beautiful pit that will make you proud!

Good luck and I recommend to watch the Dog Whisperer on The National Geographic Channel!

**Kudos to all of the ppl out there that have a shelter pet!!

My suggestion does take a little longer but it also works. I used this in the past. Say STOP! No bite every time they nip or bite and say it with a a growl and a mean look . It does get boring repeating it over and over but it does work. It takes a week. Also no aggressive playing or teasing. This makes them nip and bite more and they think it is acceptable behavior. This worked with my Rottie.

April 29, 2016 Flag

So I have a 5 month old Pit Bull and I'm trying to figure out some other ways to get her to stop chewing on hands and jumping on people when she greets them. After she has greeted someone she doesn't seem to jump on them anymore. I've tried few things when she tries to chew on hands that my trainer told me to do (i.e. if she's chewing on a hand to push it into her mouth more and saying ouch (which will work for few minutes and then she's right back at it). I did learn that she doesn't like hot sauce, but who really wants to have that on their hands all the time.

white Pit puppy
Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

LOL, yeah, hot sauce on your hands 24/7. Basically, when a dog bites, you've probably been told this: never pull back your hand. That makes it a game of "keepaway hand" and the dog will only want to bite more or worse, clamp down and hang on.

Here's something you can try. Grab her butt or thigh with your other hand just hard enough to distract her attention. Then say "HEY!" or something like that. You want her looking at you. She has to pay attention to you to be trained. As soon as she looks at you, stick a chew toy in her mouth in place of the hand. You'll pretty much have to have these with you or within arm's reach.

You'll have to teach her "down" as well. Grab her butt to get her attention to you, then say "DOWN!" and point down. Make sure you're using a very firm voice and standing straight upright. If you really mean it she should sense what you mean and do it.

Dogs are domesticated animals and used to taking cues from humans that are much subtler than this. But your dog is a puppy and just needs to be trained to look at you to see how you're reacting to what she's doing and respond to you.

April 9, 2012 Flag

I have noticed a lot of questions on here about puppy biting... that is not dominance. That is just continuation of litter behavior.

As far as puppies go, when they are biting ankles and drawing blood on hands and such, (especially Pits, I have so many puppy scars from excellent Pit puppies that went through their puppy stage and were not taught by mom about biting too hard), they are just doing what they did with their brothers and sisters in the litter.

Mom, as in the actual dog mom, should have bitten them and scolded them herself and hollered out loud when they bit her. But since most pups go home to their new mom, the human one, at around six weeks, they usually don't get the chance to learn this necessary skill. Always holler out when you are bitten by a puppy too hard.

When pups bite, they are not attacking even though their sharp puppy teeth draw blood often times. They need to never be played with in a hyper way, and when they get hyper, they need to be softly lifted off the floor, by their scruff or both of their fat cheeks, back legs on the floor only, and told quietly to STOP. Keep the position until they make an attempt to break eye contact and then pet them SOFTLY.

Puppies should not be left alone with young children for this reason, they can hurt them by playing too rough, and the child would not know how to deal with this hyper play. In a moment a pup's teeth can bite or scratch a child who cannot get out of the way fast enough.

One of the best things you can do for your puppy, is not to let it determine when it gets petted, but to teach it to sit, or lie down before you pet it. This helps to establish the correct relationship. It also gives the sweet dog or puppy something to think about and to be praised for.

Petting is fine but on your terms. If the pup or dog does not show dominance problems I would pet it anytime, but if it does have dominance problems, this link has a"no free lunch" approach that will work wonders, meaning the dog has to sit before he eats and back up from the door before he goes out.

Remember that too harsh of a correction can ruin a dog or puppy's spirit and drive.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

April 3, 2012 Flag

I just got an adorable Pit Lab mix! I got him two days ago and he bites and it hurts. Whenever he is in play mode he bites anything, carpet, shoe laces, clothes, and if he can, your face. I love him and I know he gets happy to see me, but sometimes (when he is tired I'm guessing) if I pick him up he growls and snaps and gets aggressive. I have told him "no", but sometimes he just goes crazy. Please help. I also tell him "no" when he chews on things he shouldn't be chewing on, but he just hears no so much that it doesn't faze him anymore.

By Nat B.

Best Answer

With pitties, they have such a happy nature, and most of them were taken away really early from their mom before she taught them how to behave.

Pits are such happy souls, they go on and on and rarely stop to listen... lol I have a weenie dog, feist mix, that was the same.

If the pup is really rough, then holler out as if you are in terrible pain, and then look at him. If he doesn't stop, carefully scruff him and lift him off the floor a little bit. If he is still acting careless, then softly lift him off the floor for a few seconds until he stops.

Don't talk in excited voices around him when he is this young and excitable.

Also, make sure that you are giving him plenty of toys to play with. Once he learns you will put a toy in his mouth when he comes mouthing to you, he will eventually learn.

Blessings, Robyn

Here are some tips I found on the internet: http://www.cleverpuppies.com/stop-puppy-biting.html

April 6, 2010 Flag

Photo of a dog.This is my new puppy Siddhartha (Shepherd/Husky mix). I am looking for some training suggestions to stop playful biting?

By Scott from Chicago, IL

When he bites let out a high pitched squeal. He will get the message.

Yes, you can use a spray bottle. when he starts to go and nip them make him sit down and hold his mouth and say a firm no. The #1 bad choice is to hit them. They think they stop but all it does is make them scared of you.

October 3, 2010 Flag

How do I get my 3 month old Pitbull to stop biting at my finger?

By Brandon from Charlotte, NC

Best Answer

He's still a baby, he's probably just teething-please don't swat him! It hurts puppies to get their teeth just like it hurts babies & they all want to chew or bite to relieve the pain/irritation.

Make sure he has plenty of chew toys & a variety of them to see what he likes. Our puppy liked her hard rubber "binky"(pacifier), a hard rubber toy tire with bumps(good for her gums) & those rope toys. Also chew bones, ice cubes, stuff he can chew on.

When he tries to bite your fingers, gently but firmly push him away & tell him no, then offer him a chew toy he can chew on. He should eventually learn that fingers are a no-no, but his "chewies" are ok. Our dog was bad about chewing up anything she could get hold of & we had to crate her whenever we weren't home to stop her. She did much better when I made sure she had plenty of stuff to chew on, but she still forgot occasionally. She eventually stopped when she was done teething-but it seemed to take forever.

Whenever he bites, swap his little butt with a rolled up newspaper, but remember to reward him with a little treat when he obeys your commands.

February 13, 2009 Flag

I have a Shih Tzu dog who is 15 months old and he bites. You can not take anything from him as he growls and then bites. I have little grandchildren and I am afraid he will bite one of them. He is loved by everyone, and has no reason to bite. Please help me to stop this, as I am in a state right now that I want to give him away.

Tap his/her nose at the second you see it, and then let it be. I saw this on a show once if you do this 3 times in a row if dog tries to bite again, by the 3'd time they learn to stop.

My little poo mix quit after 3 taps to the nose, not to hard just enough to get attention, and say NO in firm voice not yelling.

I was bitten by a really nice shit Tzu and had to have 5 stitches. They are funny dogs and can turn on your grandkids in a heartbeat, give him away and talk to your vet about what kind of a dog is good around children. There are many.

The dog that bit me, had bitten a dozen others but was never reported, it is now in doggy heaven

July 14, 2011 Flag

When your pup decides to chew on you, pull his/her cheek or lip over your finger, between you and those needle-sharp little teeth. Pup will bite his/her own mouth and figure out REALLY fast that that is NOT fun at all.

By Eileen M. from Elk Grove, CA

Load More
Pets Dogs Training AdviceJuly 6, 2011
Students in a Kindergarten Classroom
Teaching Kindergarten Students
A child putting coins in a donation bucket.
Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving
Father teaching his son to drive
Teaching a Teen to Drive
A boy making a mean face and sticking out his tongue.
Teaching Children Good Manners