Leash Training a Puppy

I have found a strip of fleece about two inches wide makes a good hand on paw learning device for the puppies who come through here. I made a little training leash out of the fleece and attached about a foot of it to a puppy collar. It needs to not quite touch the ground so it won't trip them, but long enough for you to get a hold of.

I use the leash to correct them so they learn not to make mistakes. If they are doing something you don't like, gently guide them into what you want them to do. For example, if they are on the bed acting wild and barking, pull them gently to you (no jerking) and pat the bed - no words are really necessary. They will lay down or sit down and calm down, and you tell them how good they are.

Previously I used a cut off leash, but this feels much better to them. I might even experiment and make regular leashes out of braided strips of fleece. I love fleece! I have made tons of no tie blankets for them for this winter already.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

6 More Solutions

To keep you pup from pulling while on a lead, carry small treats in your hand. Let him get a sniff of them - every once in a while pop one in his mouth. Should be small enough that no real chewing is involved. Then "good boy" him.

So I found this Pit Bull and she's super strong. I think she was being trained to fight. I have two children and she's great with us and the kids, but not so great with other animals. When I walk her she pulls me. How do I go about training her?

Help lol

Answers

When she pulls, just stop walking. She will get the idea very quickly that you are the one in charge.

There are harnesses out there help with dogs that pull. Check with your vet to see what one he/she recommends...I suggest this because there are some that work better on some breeds vs. others and I only know the ones that work best on hounds/hound mixes.

My mom's vet recommended one (and I googled it and can't seem to find it) for her late boy, who was a hound/lab mix and it had straps that went behind each front leg and hooked up to the top and then the leash hooked on to the special harness that came with it. He never pulled using that product. It was amazing!

For our little guy, the vet recommended a totally different one--because he has back and neck issues.

Once you get a recommendation...most of them are available on Amazon or Chewy. Some you can find in the big box pet stores.

Some trainers recommend the "tree" method...where you stop and stand like a tree when they pull. I have a friend who tried this when her fur baby was younger and her fur gal was so strong, she literally uprooted her and drug my friend 15 feet on concrete causing some significant injuries to my friend including a concussion. Scary stuff!!

After that they brought in a dog whisperer to help train their gal. She has not pulled since...sometimes it takes an expert!

Good luck! Wishing you and your pup happy walking trails!

I would also recommend getting a harness instead of a regular collar. We have a Chow Chow and she was too strong for me to control until we got a harness. It worked great, she was so overbalanced when she pulled that she soon stopped.

If she is aggressive with other dogs, you might try a muzzle when walking until you are sure she will not bite anyone while you are training her.

Good luck!

Answer this Question

My German Shepherd is six months old now; her name is Tessy. She is very very strong and energetic. The only problem that I have with her is each time we go out for a walk, she will pull the leash so hard that I will get angry and carry her on my body because it's embarrassing.

Please what can I do?

Answers

Cesar Millan of te Dog WHisperer has lots of great tips on how to train her to avoid that.

One thing to do is wear her out, run with her a lot so that she is less energetic.

The second is, especially with this breed, you really have to train her not to pull. The quickest way to do this is to authoritately tug on the leash and refuse to keep going with her until she heels. If she is really out of control you poke her in the neck with 3 fingers while saying SHHH loud. This will snap her out of her hurry.

Please stop carrying her, and letting her get away with pulling, this means that the dog is in control of you and, especially with such a powerful breed, you run the risk of perpetuating worse, and more dangerous, habits.

I highly recommend watching old Dog Whisperer episodes on youtube or whatnot

I would not fight with the puppy. Every time the dog pulls I would stop. When the dog does the right thing I would praise and pet.

Answer this Question

I have a wonderful 4 month old Standard Poodle pup named Prince. I am just having the most frustrating time getting him to walk on a leash.

Any ideas for leash training? Every time I try to walk my puppy she just lays down. The first walk was great, it was with me and my husband. She was running and doing really great. But when I try to walk her by myself she won't walk.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Pets Dogs Training AdviceNovember 4, 2012
🐛
👒
🌻
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Leash-Training-a-Puppy.html