Throwing a Dora the Explorer on a Budget

For a cartoon birthday party on a budget, Here's what I do. I make a DORA CAKE. I use a round layer cake for the face with another round layer cut and fitted around head to make the hair. It costs $3 as compared to about $15 for a bakery cake.

Make your own pinata. Take a balloon and cover it in paper mache and tissue paper to look like Dora's head for about $3 instead of the usual $15.

Make your own "Pin The Tail" game. Print a picture of Swiper and cut off the tail for about $2.

For musical chairs, put pictures on pieces of poster board. Put those on the floor instead of chairs. Whoever is sitting on a picture gets the "chair".

Makes a great child's party for about that costs $9.

By Randa Wagner

Editor's Note: The Nick Jr. site has some Dora invitations you can print out for free. You can find them here:

These are great ideas. Thank you very much. I do have one craft to add. Take two tp rolls and have kids tape together then color, add sticker and they have made there own binoculars. (04/24/2006)

Dora the Explorer Themed Birthday Party
Dora the Explorer
Making a Dora Costume
Woman Consulting Her Shopping List in the Supermarket
Creating a Food Budget
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
A couple working on their household budget.
Reducing Your Household Budget