Tips for a Successful Marriage

Category Family
Tips for a Successful Marriage
Maintaining a healthy marital relationship can be a challenge for many couples. This guide contains tips for a successful marriage.

My granddaughter surprised me with a last minute invitation to her wedding. I wanted to give them a special gift and card. The gift was easy, because I always have hand crocheted afghans put away to give for special occasions, but I didn't have time to shop for a special card.

I had been teasing the couple about making their marriage last as long as mine. (51 years tomorrow for Paul and I), so I made her a special card that listed "Secrets for a Long and Happy Marriage." I used a pre-printed paper and a pretty font, and rolled it up and tied it with a pretty ribbon and attached it to the package.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

Editor's Note: Here is a transcription of Harlean's text if you have trouble viewing her image. You can also click on it for a larger version.

Secrets for a long and happy marriage

Choose the one you love then love the one you choose

Hold hands, Hug and Kiss every day and never pass up an opportunity to say, "I love you."

Entering matrimony with the mindset that "divorce is not an option", is vital for the long term success of marriage.

We have the greatest nuptial agreement in the world. It's called LOVE.

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times. . . always with the same person.

Marriage is a bed of roses . . . thorns and all.

Before staring an argument, consider if it's really worth it.

All marriages are happy. It's the living together afterward that causes all the trouble.

Like good wine, marriage gets better with age - once you learn to keep a cork in it.

One of the nicest things you can say to your partner . . . "If I had to do it again, I'd choose you. Again."

This is our top ten list!

That is very nice.

I am going to steal this for a wedding I am attending this summer! Thanks!

I am going to use this for my daughter! Thanks!

Congratulations to the bride and groom of 51 years! We made 49 in April and looking for many more to come.

Sweet! And thanks to the Editor for the transcription of the image. :D

A postscript to my original posting. This is the list that I made a few years ago. We celebrated our 54th year on June 2 2014, and I lost this loving soul mate 6 days later. We had a wonderful 54 years, and he is waiting for me to join him in Heaven, and is now free from pain.

Harlean from Arkansas

We have been married for over 48 years of bliss and blisters. :) Lots of good advice here.

As my husband and I approach our 40th wedding Anniversary this week-end, I have experienced friends and family asking me to share our tips for a lasting relationship. I enjoy entering your tip contest. This morning as I opened the ThriftyFun email, I thought why not write down the tips I have shared this past week with others.

1. We have learned to have a sense of humor, laughing at our mistakes.
  2. We have a date night and make it special. It has been as simple as a picnic in the park or a rented movie and popcorn while sitting together on the sofa.
  3. We have both learned not to try to change each other, instead we pray about it.
  4. We both pursue our God given talents and gifts.
  5. We don't argue, there are a list of things we have decided to disagree on.
  6. We both give each other encouragement and sincere complements.
  7. We try not to take each other for granted.
  8. We sit down at the dinner table together and discuss our day, even though our children are grown.
  9. We celebrate time spent with our children and grandchildren.
  10. We both work at staying in good shape and looking nice for each other.
  11. I guess the bottom line is being committed to each other.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

What an uplifting post! Congtatulations on your 40th!! We will celebrate our 32nd this year. All of your tips are great. I would add to it to keep your husband your best friend! Kathy in Illinois

Bobbie!

Nice to see such a nice post. Honestly, my husband and I do the same. A few I need to work on more now that you mention it! Thanks for the reminder!

Jennifer CA

I met my husband in 1958. I can tell you, unequivocally, that a successful marriage depends on the mutual agreement to accept and embrace the fact that your spouse is going to occasionally act like an absolute idiot. U^u*U

What a blessing! We've been married 24 years and look forward to many more! Thanks for sharing.

Great tips. My husband took the DYNAMIC MARRIAGE class offered at our church and it HELPED a lot! A lot of churches are offerring this class and thousands of marriages have been saved and improved. Even those saying they had 10 marriage walked out saying they now had an 11!

A lot of these principles above are covered. I now know what makes my husband happy and upset and try encourage one and avoid the other.

Thanks for tip. Marriages are to be treasured, uplifted and glorified.

Congratulations and blessings for many more happy years together.

Good Job and Congrats! Marriage is a give and take! Thanks for all your reminders!

This is good advice considering how many failed marriages there are. You are so fortunate that you have a willing partner. All of us were not so lucky. Congratulations on your 40th and many more to come!

Just being sentimental. ;-)

• Start with Love ~ a generous share
  • Then blend in warmth and laughter
  • Add lots of happy memories
  • That will last forever after

Directions:

1. Place inside a sunny home.

2. Filled with warmth and cheer.

3. Bake in joy and happiness.

4. And serve year after year!

Servings: 60 years in August 2012
Prep Time: 24/7
Cooking Time: A lifetime

Source: I found it long ago on gift wrapping paper I had saved. I used it for a bookmarker in my cookbook

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, Ca.

Anonymous

And who would know this better those who have been married as many years as you and Leonard, GGVi :-) I wish everyone would take those words to heart because the world would be a much better place! Congrats in advance to you both!

This is good advice. We choose how we react to life, and how we treat others. Life has to be happier if you choose to react with as much love and kindness as possible. It's a habit we should all foster. Thank you! I hope all the young people on TF read this.

Recipe for a Happy Marriage: To an overflowing cup of love, add faith in God and faith in each other. These ingredients will help dissolve bitterness or misunderstanding. Never let bitter spirits brew overnight. Sweeten with laughter and understanding. Prayer is necessary to hold these ingredients together and should be added daily. Tears may also be added when necessary, and sifted together with respect and hard work towards a common dream. Sprinkle generously with hugs and kisses. Keep this fresh by stirring 24 hours a day. Serve with a loving heart. YEILDS: One happy Husband.

I wrote this to my niece for her Wedding Shower, many years ago.

By Sharon,Ky

That is so nice and true. I have a bridal shower to go to later this month and have to write one out for the bride. We are suppose to bring words of wisdom for the bride and this sounds like good wisdom. Thank you so much for sharing,

hagd, Ruth

My nephew is getting married and I live on a limited income so I am looking for a poem about marriage to cross-stitch as a wedding gift. I want something that is more or less words of wisdom.

Babygirl from Overland Park, KS

I was surprised to the point of tears when the JP that married my husband and I unexpectedly recited this Navaho Wedding Prayer that I love...

Now you will feel no rain,

For each of you will be shelter to the other.

Now you will feel no cold,

For each of you will be warmth to the other.

Now you will feel no more loneliness,

For each of you will be a constant companion to the other.

Now you are two bodies,

But there is only one life ahead of you.

Go now to your dwelling place,

To enter your days of togetherness.

here are two versions of the same poem, which I heard at the last wedding I attended. You may want to pick and choose one or more of the lines if the whole thing seems too long to cross stitch. Hope it helps.

The Art Of A Good Marriage

Wilferd Arlan Peterson

Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens.

A good marriage must be created.

In marriage the little things are the big things.

It is never being too old to hold hands.

It is remembering to say "I love you" at least once a day.

It is never going to sleep angry.

It is at no time taking the other for granted; the courtship should not end with the honeymoon, it should continue through all the years.

It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives.

It is standing together facing the world.

It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family.

It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy.

It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.

It is not looking for perfection in each other.

It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding and a sense of humour.

It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.

It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow.

It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.

It is establishing a relationship in which the independence is equal, dependence is mutual and the obligation is reciprocal.

It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.

The Art Of A Good Marriage

(shortened version)

Wilferd Arlan Peterson

A good marriage must be created.

In marriage the little things are the big things...

It is never being too old to hold hands,

It is remembering to say "I love you" at least once a day,

It is never going to sleep angry,

It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives,

It is standing together and facing the world,

It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family,

It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways,

It is having the capacity to forgive and forget,

It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow,

It is a common search for the good and the beautiful,

It is not only marrying the right person, it is being the right partner.

I don't know of a poem for you but I have seen some really cute cross stiched wedding gifts. My mother received a cross stiched picture of a blue bird (that matched her decore) and then below the bird it listed their names and wedding date.

I don't have a poem idea but another inexpensive gift idea. When I married a friend took my wedding invitation and matted and framed it. Most invitations will fit nicely into an 8 X 10 frame. Some frames will have a mat included if not they are pretty inexpensive and can be color coordinated with the invitation. If you have a photo of the couple you could place the invitation on one side of a frame and the photo on the other. This will be a little more expensive because you will need a larger frame and a mat with a double opening. I have been married 16 years and my invitation still hangs in my home.

Ronda

This is not a poem but but me and my Husband lived by them for 45yrs till he passed away

#1 never got to bed mad at each other as u will wake up mad

#2 never leave the room without giving him /her a kiss as u never know it might be the last one [ i got 2 the night my hubby died

#3 never let a day go by without telling him/her I LOVE YOU

Hi, not sure how long you want the poem but I found this short one on 'google', author unknown:

From this day forward,

You shall not walk alone.

My heart will be your shelter,

My arms will be your home.

Here's another one by George Eliot:

What greater thing is there for two human souls

than to feel that they are joined together

to strengthen each other in all labour,

to minister to each other in all sorrow,

to share with each other in all gladness,

to be one with each other in the silent unspoken memories?

you can try to find cross stich with sayings from MARY MAXIN .COM

If you are looking for some good marriage poems and verses visit http://www.marriages.net.au.

Try Psalm 20. It also works for graduations.