Tips for a Successful Marriage

Maintaining a healthy marital relationship can be a challenge for many couples. This guide contains tips for a successful marriage.

June 6, 2011 Flag

My granddaughter surprised me with a last minute invitation to her wedding. I wanted to give them a special gift and card. The gift was easy, because I always have hand crocheted afghans put away to give for special occasions, but I didn't have time to shop for a special card.

I had been teasing the couple about making their marriage last as long as mine. (51 years tomorrow for Paul and I), so I made her a special card that listed "Secrets for a Long and Happy Marriage." I used a pre-printed paper and a pretty font, and rolled it up and tied it with a pretty ribbon and attached it to the package.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

Editor's Note: Here is a transcription of Harlean's text if you have trouble viewing her image. You can also click on it for a larger version.

Secrets for a long and happy marriage

Choose the one you love then love the one you choose

Hold hands, Hug and Kiss every day and never pass up an opportunity to say, "I love you."

Entering matrimony with the mindset that "divorce is not an option", is vital for the long term success of marriage.

We have the greatest nuptial agreement in the world. It's called LOVE.

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times. . . always with the same person.

Marriage is a bed of roses . . . thorns and all.

Before staring an argument, consider if it's really worth it.

All marriages are happy. It's the living together afterward that causes all the trouble.

Like good wine, marriage gets better with age - once you learn to keep a cork in it.

One of the nicest things you can say to your partner . . . "If I had to do it again, I'd choose you. Again."

This is our top ten list!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A postscript to my original posting. This is the list that I made a few years ago. We celebrated our 54th year on June 2 2014, and I lost this loving soul mate 6 days later. We had a wonderful 54 years, and he is waiting for me to join him in Heaven, and is now free from pain.

Harlean from Arkansas

June 27, 2007 Flag

As my husband and I approach our 40th wedding Anniversary this week-end, I have experienced friends and family asking me to share our tips for a lasting relationship. I enjoy entering your tip contest. This morning as I opened the ThriftyFun email, I thought why not write down the tips I have shared this past week with others.

1. We have learned to have a sense of humor, laughing at our mistakes.
  2. We have a date night and make it special. It has been as simple as a picnic in the park or a rented movie and popcorn while sitting together on the sofa.
  3. We have both learned not to try to change each other, instead we pray about it.
  4. We both pursue our God given talents and gifts.
  5. We don't argue, there are a list of things we have decided to disagree on.
  6. We both give each other encouragement and sincere complements.
  7. We try not to take each other for granted.
  8. We sit down at the dinner table together and discuss our day, even though our children are grown.
  9. We celebrate time spent with our children and grandchildren.
  10. We both work at staying in good shape and looking nice for each other.
  11. I guess the bottom line is being committed to each other.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Good Job and Congrats! Marriage is a give and take! Thanks for all your reminders!

April 16, 2012 Flag

Recipe for a Happy Marriage

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just being sentimental. ;-)

May 5, 2005 Flag

Recipe for a Happy Marriage: To an overflowing cup of love, add faith in God and faith in each other. These ingredients will help dissolve bitterness or misunderstanding. Never let bitter spirits brew overnight. Sweeten with laughter and understanding.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 17, 2006 Flag

My nephew is getting married and I live on a limited income so I am looking for a poem about marriage to cross-stitch as a wedding gift. I want something that is more or less words of wisdom.

Babygirl from Overland Park, KS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

here are two versions of the same poem, which I heard at the last wedding I attended. You may want to pick and choose one or more of the lines if the whole thing seems too long to cross stitch. Hope it helps.

The Art Of A Good Marriage

Wilferd Arlan Peterson

Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens.

A good marriage must be created.

In marriage the little things are the big things.

It is never being too old to hold hands.

It is remembering to say "I love you" at least once a day.

It is never going to sleep angry.

It is at no time taking the other for granted; the courtship should not end with the honeymoon, it should continue through all the years.

It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives.

It is standing together facing the world.

It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family.

It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy.

It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.

It is not looking for perfection in each other.

It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding and a sense of humour.

It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.

It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow.

It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.

It is establishing a relationship in which the independence is equal, dependence is mutual and the obligation is reciprocal.

It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.

The Art Of A Good Marriage

(shortened version)

Wilferd Arlan Peterson

A good marriage must be created.

In marriage the little things are the big things...

It is never being too old to hold hands,

It is remembering to say "I love you" at least once a day,

It is never going to sleep angry,

It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives,

It is standing together and facing the world,

It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family,

It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways,

It is having the capacity to forgive and forget,

It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow,

It is a common search for the good and the beautiful,

It is not only marrying the right person, it is being the right partner.

I don't know of a poem for you but I have seen some really cute cross stiched wedding gifts. My mother received a cross stiched picture of a blue bird (that matched her decore) and then below the bird it listed their names and wedding date.

I was surprised to the point of tears when the JP that married my husband and I unexpectedly recited this Navaho Wedding Prayer that I love...

Now you will feel no rain,

For each of you will be shelter to the other.

Now you will feel no cold,

For each of you will be warmth to the other.

Now you will feel no more loneliness,

For each of you will be a constant companion to the other.

Now you are two bodies,

But there is only one life ahead of you.

Go now to your dwelling place,

To enter your days of togetherness.

I don't have a poem idea but another inexpensive gift idea. When I married a friend took my wedding invitation and matted and framed it. Most invitations will fit nicely into an 8 X 10 frame. Some frames will have a mat included if not they are pretty inexpensive and can be color coordinated with the invitation. If you have a photo of the couple you could place the invitation on one side of a frame and the photo on the other. This will be a little more expensive because you will need a larger frame and a mat with a double opening. I have been married 16 years and my invitation still hangs in my home.

Ronda

This is not a poem but but me and my Husband lived by them for 45yrs till he passed away

#1 never got to bed mad at each other as u will wake up mad

#2 never leave the room without giving him /her a kiss as u never know it might be the last one [ i got 2 the night my hubby died

#3 never let a day go by without telling him/her I LOVE YOU

Hi, not sure how long you want the poem but I found this short one on 'google', author unknown:

From this day forward,

You shall not walk alone.

My heart will be your shelter,

My arms will be your home.

Here's another one by George Eliot:

What greater thing is there for two human souls

than to feel that they are joined together

to strengthen each other in all labour,

to minister to each other in all sorrow,

to share with each other in all gladness,

to be one with each other in the silent unspoken memories?

you can try to find cross stich with sayings from MARY MAXIN .COM

If you are looking for some good marriage poems and verses visit http://www.marriages.net.au.

Better Living FamilyJuly 10, 2012
Anniversary Party
25th Anniversary Party Ideas
Two men at their commitment ceremony
Planning a Commitment Ceremony
Marriage License
Getting a Marriage License
50th Anniversary Centerpiece
50th Anniversary Centerpiece Ideas
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 12:23:43 AM on 10.0.0.173 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.