Tips for a Successful Marriage

Maintaining a healthy marital relationship can be a challenge for many couples. This guide contains tips for a successful marriage.

June 6, 2011 Flag

My granddaughter surprised me with a last minute invitation to her wedding. I wanted to give them a special gift and card. The gift was easy, because I always have hand crocheted afghans put away to give for special occasions, but I didn't have time to shop for a special card.

I had been teasing the couple about making their marriage last as long as mine. (51 years tomorrow for Paul and I), so I made her a special card that listed "Secrets for a Long and Happy Marriage." I used a pre-printed paper and a pretty font, and rolled it up and tied it with a pretty ribbon and attached it to the package.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

Editor's Note: Here is a transcription of Harlean's text if you have trouble viewing her image. You can also click on it for a larger version.

Secrets for a long and happy marriage

Choose the one you love then love the one you choose

Hold hands, Hug and Kiss every day and never pass up an opportunity to say, "I love you."

Entering matrimony with the mindset that "divorce is not an option", is vital for the long term success of marriage.

We have the greatest nuptial agreement in the world. It's called LOVE.

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times. . . always with the same person.

Marriage is a bed of roses . . . thorns and all.

Before staring an argument, consider if it's really worth it.

All marriages are happy. It's the living together afterward that causes all the trouble.

Like good wine, marriage gets better with age - once you learn to keep a cork in it.

One of the nicest things you can say to your partner . . . "If I had to do it again, I'd choose you. Again."

This is our top ten list!

I am going to steal this for a wedding I am attending this summer! Thanks!

I am going to use this for my daughter! Thanks!

Congratulations to the bride and groom of 51 years! We made 49 in April and looking for many more to come.

Sweet! And thanks to the Editor for the transcription of the image. :D

June 27, 2007 Flag

As my husband and I approach our 40th wedding Anniversary this week-end, I have experienced friends and family asking me to share our tips for a lasting relationship.

April 16, 2012 Flag
Just being sentimental. ;-)

• Start with Love ~ a generous share
  • Then blend in warmth and laughter
  • Add lots of happy memories
  • That will last forever after

Directions:

1. Place inside a sunny home.

2. Filled with warmth and cheer.

3. Bake in joy and happiness.

4. And serve year after year!

Servings: 60 years in August 2012
Prep Time: 24/7
Cooking Time: A lifetime

Source: I found it long ago on gift wrapping paper I had saved. I used it for a bookmarker in my cookbook

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, Ca.

And who would know this better those who have been married as many years as you and Leonard, GGVi :-) I wish everyone would take those words to heart because the world would be a much better place! Congrats in advance to you both!

This is good advice. We choose how we react to life, and how we treat others. Life has to be happier if you choose to react with as much love and kindness as possible. It's a habit we should all foster. Thank you! I hope all the young people on TF read this.

January 17, 2006 Flag

My nephew is getting married and I live on a limited income so I am looking for a poem about marriage to cross-stitch as a wedding gift. I want something that is more or less words of wisdom.

Babygirl from Overland Park, KS

This is not a poem but but me and my Husband lived by them for 45yrs till he passed away

#1 never got to bed mad at each other as u will wake up mad

#2 never leave the room without giving him /her a kiss as u never know it might be the last one [ i got 2 the night my hubby died

#3 never let a day go by without telling him/her I LOVE YOU

Hi, not sure how long you want the poem but I found this short one on 'google', author unknown:

From this day forward,

You shall not walk alone.

My heart will be your shelter,

My arms will be your home.

Here's another one by George Eliot:

What greater thing is there for two human souls

than to feel that they are joined together

to strengthen each other in all labour,

to minister to each other in all sorrow,

to share with each other in all gladness,

to be one with each other in the silent unspoken memories?

you can try to find cross stich with sayings from MARY MAXIN .COM

If you are looking for some good marriage poems and verses visit http://www.marriages.net.au.

May 5, 2005 Flag

Recipe for a Happy Marriage: To an overflowing cup of love, add faith in God and faith in each other. These ingredients will help dissolve bitterness or misunderstanding. Never let bitter spirits brew overnight. Sweeten with laughter and understanding.

Better Living FamilyJuly 10, 2012
Anniversary Party
25th Anniversary Party Ideas
Two men at their commitment ceremony
Planning a Commitment Ceremony
Marriage License
Getting a Marriage License
50th Anniversary Centerpiece
50th Anniversary Centerpiece Ideas
🎉
🎄