Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

I need tips on how to lower my cholesterol. Any diet tips and easy meals to fix that are low in cholesterol would be helpful. I also have to incorporate lowering my sugar intake.

fab4mom from Walker, LA

Answers:

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

My husband got me a Vita-Mix for Christmas. I absolutely love it. It comes with a wonderful recipe book filled with recipes that are healthy and taste great. They have a web site you can check out and they also have demonstrations occasionally at Costco. It's an initial expensive investment, but well worth it! (03/12/2006)

By Abubika

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

A recent study proved that eating certain foods are just as effect in lowering cholesterol as statins. Here is a portion of the findings: "A new study showed people who ate a diet rich in cholesterol-lowering foods, such as soy protein, almonds, plant sterol-enriched margarines, and natural fiber (from items such as oats, psyllium, okra, and eggplant) for a year lowered their cholesterol levels by 20% or more, a reduction comparable with that found with statins". The entire article can be found at:

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/119/113532.htm

(03/13/2006)

By Marnita

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

I started cooking with ONLY Olive Oil and both my hubby and I had good cholesterol levels at our last doctor's visit (from higher cholesterol). I even use olive oil with a bit of butter in it for popcorn, and it's so good. In fact, my sister in law told me yesterday that she'd just eaten some popcorn with "your mixture" poured over it and she loves it. That's the only way she eats it now, too. (03/13/2006)

By Luvyabye

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

First of all, a diet closer to nature such as plant related is best. Get rid of the processed junk and lower your meat intake if you are currently eating it. Raw garlic everyday is wonderful for your cholesterol along with celery stalks (organic please if possible) and celery juice. I have come so far adapting a raw vegan diet. Good luck! It can be done naturally. (03/13/2006)

By Tone

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

First of all, have you had all your levels tested along with your cholesterol. If your liver is not functioning
correctly that could at least help account for high cholesterol. It is medically proven that one ounce of almonds (about 14 whole ones) do lower cholesterol. YOU MUST EAT THEM EVERY DAY. Missing occasionally is OK but it has to be regular.

Stay away from any fatty foods or sweet processed foods. Try to keep it natural. Since you have a cholesterol challenge you may need to start thinking about your heart health. Even if everything is Ok now, why not consider taking cold pressed MAX EPA fish oil capsules. Best of all consult a naturopath physician an ND as opposed to an MD. Natural remedies are always preferred. The best of everything to you. (03/13/2006)

By Angellface.

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

All the diet tips are full of great info., but I noticed that not one person mentioned the obvious - - - get more exercise. Start a walking program. I no longer have to take medication for high cholesterol since I started walking 2 miles a day. It does work. (03/13/2006)

By lovethosehounds

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

I heard fish oil pills help to lower your cholesterol but talk to your physician or pharmacist first before you try anything. (03/13/2006)

By JILLSAVES

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

the readers digest website has some great tips and meal plans for cholesterol as does the better homes and gardens (bhg.com) website. You can print out the articles for handy reference. Good luck (03/13/2006)

By nanalori

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

My doctor has me taking 500 mg, of time released Niacin. My cholesterol dropped from 240 to 203 in 6 months, the HDL and LDL are right where the doctor wants them. Before starting any supplements you need to discuss it with your doctor. (03/13/2006)

By Poco

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

My total cholesterol is 204 which isn't bad, lower would be better but that's only 4 pts higher than what is recommended. My tryglicerides are a bit high now tho so I need to stay away from the fried foods (fast food). Anyway, exercise is supposed to help cholesterol. Eat oatmeal. You can take Metamucil, also flax seed oil is supposed to help too. Cholesterol comes from animal products by the way. (03/14/2006)

By Debbie52

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

Here's another plug for flaxseed - either the oil or ground flaxseed. You still have to cut down on the saturated fats in your diet - eat chicken and turkey breast instead of red meat - lots of vegetables too. Go easy on the fruit if you are watching your sugar. Both my husband and I have lowered our cholesterol and triglycerides just by watching our diet (read labels) and taking flaxseed. Good Luck! (03/14/2006)

By Joankay

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

My husband has AWESOME cholesterol results, even with eating bacon/sausage/eggs everyday. We eat a lot of garlic, classic olive oil (never extra virgin) and supplement more veggies for pasta/rice. We eat only whole grain wheat bread, snack foods are popcorn, nuts or pork rinds! Low carb was the best way to lose the weight, and then we saw the direct impact on cholesterol. Oatmeal (rolled or quick, instant isn't as much) is another staple in our house. My kids also eat the same way, but they get the occasional side of rice/pasta. We try to focus more on the vegetables and fruit, dairy and whole-grains. We also have a lot of Mediterranean influence in our cooking, due to my husband's family background. We cook a lot ahead for hectic nights, and carry our own snacks to avoid garbage foods (03/14/2006)

By camo_angels

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

Just a couple of suggestions: for breakfast mix two or three Tbsp. raw oat bran with a fairly thick veggie juice (I use V-8 but home made is even better) in a medium to large glass and stir well, then chug it down. You will need to chase it to rinse the bran on down and it's not much fun, but doing this every day is very good for digestion. Also when my mother was diagnosed with high cholesterol she was told she could eat all the saurkraut she wanted. I have often prepared variations of saurbraten in the oven using beef and pork with kraut, red wine, caraway seeds and brown sugar. I haven't tried it but this might work well with chicken and your favorite sugar substitute. White wine might work better for chicken, I don't know. I've also used this on various sausages to excellent effect so if you can find some very lean sausages you might try it. Good luck! (03/24/2006)

By Alph

High Cholesterol With Tangerine
Lowering Your Cholesterol
A woman cutting vegetables.
Reducing Fats When Cooking
Almonds
Recipes Using Almonds
Woman Eating Strawberries
Health Benefits of Strawberries
Low Cholesterol Tofu Burgers
Low Cholesterol Recipes
🎄