Tomato Soup Recipe

I would like a simple recipe for tomato (or cream of tomato) soup. It cannot have beef or chicken broth, or any meat or meat-by-product in it. Thanks!

Maryeileen from Brooklyn OH

Answers:

Tomato Soup Recipe

As a long-time vegetarian, I love to cook soups without benefit of any meat products. Lipton Onion soup packets make a great start, water, canned stewed tomatoes (or fresh, if you have), cabbage, sliced thin, onions, carrots .... Place all in a large pot, simmer for an hour and it's just the nicest meal going. I've also got a great gazpacho recipe (my favourite snack). (10/05/2006)

By wordswork

Tomato Soup Recipe

In reference to making homemade Cream Of Tomato soup, here is a saying that will help your tomato soup not to curdle:

"Add Red to White and You Will Never Be Blue".

In other words, heat the tomatoes and milk in separate pans. Add the hot tomatoes to the milk so it will not curdle. Got it? In essence, if you add the hot tomatoes to the hot milk, you won't be sad with the results as it will not curdle.
(10/06/2006)

By Linda from PA

Tomato Soup Recipe

I'm sorry but I equate Tomato Soup with all childhood illnesses! LOL My mom and grandmother knew of NO other food than this when I was ill. I haven't had more than two cans since I became an adult. I've tried to get over this, but this association is imprinted in my brain, so I avoid any thought of eating Tomato Soup although it MAY have helped to keep me well? This MIGHT not have happened to me had they alternated with TYPES of soups, a good tip for moms!

God bless mothers who nurse their sick children with soups, a proven food to feed them MOST of the time. : ) (10/08/2006)

By lyndagayle62

Tomato Soup Recipe

Tomato soup without milk/cream

• 1 qt. tomatoes crushed or blended (or tomato juice)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • pat of butter (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda*
*This takes the acid out and is not really needed unless you add milk/cream.

Bring tomatoes to a boil remove from heat. Add baking soda (use a deep pan as this will foam up). As soon as foam settles, eat up!

For creamy tomato soup, just add milk or cream to the above (after you've done the soda) till the consistency you like. Reheat if needed from the cold milk (10/09/2006)

By Carla

Tomato Soup Recipe

• 5 cups peeled,seeded + chopped tomatoes
  • 1 med. onion chopped
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • dash paprika
  • dash pepper
  • 2 tbsp. margarine
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • dash pepper
  • 2 cups milk
In saucepan combine tomatoes, onion, sugar, 3/4 tsp. salt, paprika and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer gently for 10 minutes. Press mixture through a sieve. In separate saucepan melt margarine. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook stirring over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Slowly add milk. Return to heat. Cook and stir until smooth and thick. Add hot tomato puree, stirring constantly to keep from separating. Heat almost to boiling. Serve at once.

My family really likes this soup, it is a bit of work but very good. (10/14/2006)

By gigik

Tomato Soup Recipe

Thanks to all, especially Carla and gigik! (10/15/2006)

By Maryeileen

A bowl of tomato soup with crackers.
Tomato Soup Recipes
bowl of soup
Tomato Bisque Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Cream of Tomato Soup Recipes
Tomato Hornworms
Controlling Tomato Hornworms
🎉
🎄