Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe
A delicious tomato soup to make at home year round with a basic marinara sauce flavor. This page contains a roasted tomato soup recipe
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This recipe uses roasted tomato and zucchini to impart a deeper flavor to this basic marinara sauce. The vegetables could also be grilled instead of roasted in the oven.
I originally made this in the summer, when these veggies are in season but I didn't get it posted until now. Serve with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich for the perfect comfort food for a cold winter's night.
- 3 lb tomatoes (I filled a produce bag)
- 3 zucchini
- 1 onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch Italian basil
- Cut vegetables into similar sized chunks. I quartered the tomatoes and onion and cut the zucchini lengthwise, then roughly chopped it. The garlic just needs to be peeled.
- Add all chopped vegetables (except basil) into a large bowl. Add oil, salt and pepper and mix to coat the vegetables. Pour out onto a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about an hour, until the vegetables are turning brown and are looking soft. Allow them to cool for a few minutes.
- Add all vegetables to a blender, adding in the basil and enough water or broth to enable the blender to run properly. Pulse until it is the proper consistency. If you prefer chunky vegetables instead of a smooth soup, just reserve a few to blend slightly at the end or chop them to the desired size.
- Add blended soup to a large pot and simmer for at least 15-20 minutes. Add water and additional spices as desired.
- Serve with a garnish of basil or a sprinkling of cheese. Or, of course, a grilled cheese sandwich for dunking.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.