Substitutes for Tomatoes in Recipes

Whatever the reason you don't wish to include tomatoes in a recipe, there are ingredients that often be substituted and still result in a delicious dish. This is a guide about substitutes for tomatoes in recipes.

April 30, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about seedless substitutes for tomatoes in recipes. If you have a medical condition that prevents you from eating seeds, substitutions and alternative foods are a part of your daily eating habits.

Bowls of tomato sauce, tomato sauce, and tomato puree' laying on top of fresh whole tomatoes and peppers on a white backgound

February 5, 2008 Flag

What can I use to substitute canned tomatoes when making things like beef stew, gumbo, or spaghetti? My kids do not like tomatoes and I was wondering can I just substitute with canned tomato sauce?

Tomatoe puree is better than sauce as it is the same as what you would get if you put them in the blender. You'll probably have to try a couple of "practice" dishes to adjust quantity and seasonings to taste. Good luck!

I have been able to find tomatoes in jars lately. Look in the health food type stores. You should be able to find them. They taste better and you don't have to worry about BPA in the can lining. (Bisphenol A) BPA can cause cancer.

I have an allergy to tomato so in stews I use pumpkin purée and sliced zucchini. I also use plum sauce for hamburgers etc. This seems to work well for me. 

I am allergic to tomatoes too....I found a product called nomatoes ...

August 31, 2010 Flag

What can I substitute for tomatoes? I would be using it for an Indian recipe. I use tomatoes in almost every gravy or curry I make, such as Dal, etc.

By Pushpa

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Roasted red bell peppers or zucchini would be my choices.

March 28, 2010 Flag

I have found out that I am allergic to tomatoes and I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for something I could substitute them with. I like to eat lasagna, pizza, and nachos, but am no longer able to eat them with tomatoes.

Kfromoz from Australia

Substitute for Tomatoes

You could do an Alfredo type sauce. Or pesto. (12/07/2006)

Substitute for Tomatoes

You can make "white" lasagna with Alfredo sauce. My brother in law hates tomato sauce; he always orders his pizza with no sauce at all. It's not bad. And for Mexican you could find a guacamole you like. Good luck.

By dollar out of a dime

Substitute for Tomatoes

No Tomato Pizza

Cook meat, drain and crumble. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Mix dressing mix, Miracle Whip, and milk. Spread on dough. Cook 7-10 min. Spread with meat and onions. Top with cheese. Cook until cheese fully melted. (12/08/2006)

By Emma

Substitute for Tomatoes

Roasted red peppers make a really nice sauce for pasta. Or try olive oil and smashed garlic for a no cook sauce. You could even add some sauteed or grilled veggies.

Also, butter and chopped parsley are nice on pasta. You could add some red pepper flakes if you like it hot.

I like to use pesto sauce and ricotta on my pizza. Yum.

Try using the Ingredient Search at

By Marta

Substitute for Tomatoes

You can try a good balsamic vinegar and a combination of red, yellow, and orange bell peppers in a meat sauce for chili or pasta. Roasted red bell peppers are a fair alternative for tomatoes. Naturally, growing your own tastes better. (10/28/2007)

By allergickidmom

Substitute for Tomatoes

I am allergic to tomatoes and would suggest you "do not" use bell peppers as a substitute. Tomatoes are from the nightshade family and the nightshade family includes, potatoes (not yams or sweet potatoes), bell peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant. I am unable to eat all of those things. I have found a recipe from a book called Sublime Soups by Lenore Baum. The recipe is as follows:

1. Heat oil in a large stock pot. Saute' the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir constantly for 1 minute.

2. Add the carrots, beets, and bay leaves. Add water to 1 inch below the surface of the vegetables. In this case, less is more. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered for 45 minutes.

3. Add the basil, oregano, and thyme. Simmer for 15 minutes.

4. Remove the bay leaves. Remove and reserve most of the broth. Remove about half of the beets and set aside.

5. Transfer the vegetables, miso, and umbeboshi paste to a blender. Process, adding just enough broth to reach a tomato sauce consistency. Add the beets, one at a time, to simulate the color of tomato sauce.

I do not like beets so I leave them out. I do not care about the color so my sauce is orange. This is not a perfect substitution, but I have been able to use my sloppy joe recipe and use this in place of the ketchup and alter the recipe slightly and it is good. I have used this on homemade pizza and even people that can eat tomatoes have liked the pizza made with this sauce.

I freeze this sauce and it freezes well and thaws quickly.

Another thing I do in making pizza, is once I have rolled out the pizza dough, I brush on a thin coating of olive oil and then sprinkle an Italian blend of herbs on the olive oil. It includes oregano, rosemary, basil, thyme, and marjoram in the mix.

I hope this helps somebody out there. (11/05/2007)

Substitute for Tomatoes

Tomatillos have a tomato-like taste, but are not in the tomato family. People on dialysis who cannot eat tomatoes can use these, so they should be OK for those with allergies. I am on a low phosphorus diet due to low kidney function and found this advice on a site with recipes for dialysis patients. (12/29/2007)

By Virginia

Substitute for Tomatoes

I have been allergic to tomatoes for a long time now and have found that bottled tomato sauce has no effect on me at all, tomato pastes are a different story altogether. Continental powdered sachets that go into casseroles, etc. also have no effect. I have often been tempted to try tomatillos, but need a free weekend in case it doesn't work as I'm also allergic to oranges, some bananas, fresh limes, and paw paws. My newest addition is wheat gluten. It's not much fun, but there's plenty of food out there to choose from. (04/13/2009)

By MelanieRocky

Substitute for Tomatoes

I made an onion sauce for a whole grain pizza I just made. I used chopped onion sauteed in olive oil then simmered with a little water and pizza seasonings, salt, little lemon juice for a little bite. A quick pulse or two in the blender. Eggplant has worked in the past, persimmon, and I think zucchini might work, though I've never been big on zucchini. (11/29/2009)

By ericoalex

May 2, 20160 found this helpful anyone with tomatoes allergies like me

August 31, 2010 Flag

I am unable to use tomatoes in cooking for health reasons. Is there a substitute that I can use in recipes?

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsMarch 23, 2014
buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Substitute for Buttermilk in Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Tomato Hornworms
Controlling Tomato Hornworms
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight