Transplanting Phlox

Category Transplanting
Phlox and Dusty Miller plants in a blue wheelbarrow
This perennial flower can be transplanted to other locations in your garden. This is a guide about transplanting phlox.

When can I transplant creeping phlox? They are really thick.

By Pat from New Boston, MI

Creeping phlox should be transplanted in the Spring, right after they quit blooming.

Question:

I have loads of phlox. They are very big bushes and I would like to transplant them in different areas of my garden. Can anyone tell me if it's OK to transplant them when they are in full bloom? It's the beginning of September and I would like to transplant them now. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jojogirl

Answer:

Phlox can be transplanted anytime during the season, even while blooming. Divide them into clumps and transplant them to desired areas. With the exception of creeping phlox, cut off the blooms so the plant's energy is channeled toward establishing roots. Set the crown of each plant about 1 inch below the soil surface. Add 4-6 inches of mulch as soon as the soil freezes. This will not only prevent cold weather damage, it will prevent premature soil warming in the spring so new growth doesn't emerge before ideal growing conditions can be met.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. She is an environmental writer and photographer.

Feedback:

RE: Transplanting Phlox

Boy, I wish I was in your shoes! I can't seem to get my phlox to establish itself into large areas. Here is what I found in "Better Homes and New Garden Book" (which is one of my favorite reference guides for anything that grows): Divide just after flowering in late summer. Divide by thick clumps. Divide every third year.

I would imagine if you have phlox that thick, it must be 3+ years old or loves where it is growing. I would advise taking clumps out by sections and transplanting it within the next few weeks. If there are a few flowers, I wouldn't worry about it. Just plant your babies in an area similar to the conditions where it is growing now. Please let me know how it goes and what type soil and conditions that you are growing it now. Good luck. (09/07/2005)

By bekkicat