Browsing: Treating Black Spots on Rose Bushes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Treating Black Spots on Rose Bushes

One of the common ailments for rose bushes is black spot on the leaves. This is a guide about treating black spots on rose bushes.

Rose Bushes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 23, 2011 Flag

I have noticed black spot on some of my roses. What do you suggest?
Thanks.

By maeref

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try 1 cup of cornmeal to 1 quart of water. Set for one hour and spray roses.

Best Answer

In rose care the best thing is a systemic feed that also has properties against black spot. After care, the best thing is a commercially produced and carefully applied fungicide labelled specifically for black spot.

Once you get rid of the black spot, be careful to avoid reintroducing conditions favourable to its development-don't water close to or after dark; keep the center of the plant open with proper pruning; space new bushes proper distances apart; and disinfect your pruning tools between cuts, not just plants.

Feed with one of the systemics to keep a beautiful and healthy plant.

May 18, 2005 Flag

If you have rose bushes, fungal diseases such as black spot and mildew can be prevented, but not cured. Spray a fungicide every 7 to 10 days as a preventative measure.

By Terri H.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 20, 2011 Flag

What can be done about roses that have extreme black leaf?

By Paula H.

In the old days, they would tell you " throw your dirty dish water on it". Now a days very few people wash dishes by hand. So put a little dish soap in your watering can, suds it up and pour it over your rose bush. I would remove the bad leafs. I have alot of rose bushes and it works for me. Do not use eletric dishwashing detegent!

I was having problems growing roses, so I went to a class. the most important thing I learned was to make sure I never water the leaves. Since I started only hand watering the rose bushes from the bottom, they are doing great! I also keep lots of composted soil around them, covered with mulch and then I do not even need to fertilize them at all.

Home and Garden Gardening RosesJanuary 14, 2013
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
Rose Bush
Rose Bush Never Blooms
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Pruning a rose bush.
Pruning Rose Bushes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 10:20:23 AM on 10.0.1.237 in 635 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.