Treating a Cat's Abscess

Clearing up an abscess on your kitty and preventing infection requires careful attention. This is a guide about treating a cat's abscess.

January 15, 2008 Flag

I just noticed my cat has an abscess on his shoulder. He is licking it, which is good, and his nose is cold so he doesn't have a fever.

I'd like to avoid the vet if I can because of financial reasons. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get the abscess to open up and drain (like a poultice)?

S.M. from Sherwood, OR

Best Answer

You can try a warm compress held on there for 5 to 10 minutes 3 or 4 times a day until it ruptures. But if it is not small there is a good chance that he will need some antibiotics. A cold nose doesn't mean he doesn't have a fever. The only way to tell is to actually take it. If it is over 102.5 then he has a fever. After it ruptures you can flush peroxide ONCE into the wound, then just use antibacterial soap once or twice a day to keep it clean and the scab off. Apply neosporin. Cat's skin has a tendancy to heal before all the bacteria is gone and then the abscess will return in a few days after it scabs over. So usually cats will need oral antibiotics.

Best Answer

You can open an abcess yourself, the warm compresses work great, soak them in a solution of epsom salts and hot water until they open.

To keep them open {so they can heal from the inside out} keep vasoline on the area to keep it from scabbing up---if it does scab, just use the hot compress treatment again until the scab softens up & genetly scrape the scab off.

In some feed stores or pet stores you can find something called panalog, it has a very long nozzle and you just put it in the hole and squeeze some panalog in it, it is an antibiotic and what we always used at the vets for these probs.

If possible, shave the hair around the abcess so it doesn't get caught up in the dried puss. Try to keep the cat indoors, and if the abcess is on a lower part of the body check the cat after he goes to the litterbox to make sure no litter is sticking to the area, same treatment if it is, hot, moist compress and remove it.

You should always know {write it down if necessary, tape it to the inside of your medicine chest and always write on their thermometer, PETS} your pets healthy temperature so you will know absolutely if they do have a fever, the vet appreciates it if you can tell them the pets temp and it may decide how soon they get in to see the doctor.

If you cannot cure a problem on your own, or afford to pay for needed Vet treatment, you can surrender the pet to the Humane society and it will be treated and put up for adoption. Not the best choice for a loving pet owner, but sometimes best for the pet.

I know the post is old but my 12 (almost 13) year old Bengal ripped a ton of fur off of her left flank last week. I watched the area and it dried out. She's always been an overgroomer, hyper sensitive to other animals but never has been an outside cat at all.

Four days after she rips out the fur, a small lump (seemed huge to me at the time) pops up on her spine under the skin. Overnight, it doubled in size. The next day she had a huge lump under her front left leg. I started calling vets. Started her on Oil of Oregano, high fish diet and pre/probiotics in prep for the antibiotics.

Finally Monday AM I got a vet to examine her. they recommended over 800 dollars in tests and laughed at me when I insisted these were abscesses. Four more popped up in the area where she ripped out the fur.

They pulled some of the fluid with a needle and alas, puss with blood. Sent it to a lab - surprise, white blood cells and puss = infection & resulting in abscess. The reason they didn't think they were abscesses is because there were many of them, she had no visible bites and she is an indoor only cat.

Prognosis isn't great due to age but she's a hearty kitty and she's on pain meds as well as an antibiotic. Surprise surprise, she's now eating and drinking again, purring and while there is not much shrinking of these hideous things they're not getting bigger. Most likely will have to be drained surgically with tubes. I won't do it if her quality of life is going to be crap when it's over because she's lost two lbs in a week and I'd rather have her not suffer for my own benefit.

Bottom line is if you know your pet, stick to your guns on what you know and while internet diagnosis for the ignorant can be very dangerous (believe me I thought she had cancer too at first) but common sense must make you question everything including vets, MDs, surgeons etc. Unfortunately, I have far too much experience watching my mom die but always know your stuff going in and if you can't, ask for help!!

I don't know how long she'll make it but she would have been put through total hell without my pushing on these guys to give her the care that was needed and not upsell me on cancer treatments.

I hope she's okay. I love her so much as well all do our little furry kids!

Best to all dealing with any of these painful health issues with our little guys/girls!

Pets CatsNovember 9, 2016
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
🎄