Treating a Cat's Abscess

Category Cats
A cat with a wound on his face.
Clearing up an abscess on your kitty and preventing infection requires careful attention. This is a guide about treating a cat's abscess.

I just noticed my cat has an abscess on his shoulder. He is licking it, which is good, and his nose is cold so he doesn't have a fever.

I'd like to avoid the vet if I can because of financial reasons. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get the abscess to open up and drain (like a poultice)?

S.M. from Sherwood, OR

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

You can try a warm compress held on there for 5 to 10 minutes 3 or 4 times a day until it ruptures. But if it is not small there is a good chance that he will need some antibiotics. A cold nose doesn't mean he doesn't have a fever. The only way to tell is to actually take it. If it is over 102.5 then he has a fever. After it ruptures you can flush peroxide ONCE into the wound, then just use antibacterial soap once or twice a day to keep it clean and the scab off. Apply neosporin. Cat's skin has a tendancy to heal before all the bacteria is gone and then the abscess will return in a few days after it scabs over. So usually cats will need oral antibiotics.

Best Answer

You can open an abcess yourself, the warm compresses work great, soak them in a solution of epsom salts and hot water until they open.

To keep them open {so they can heal from the inside out} keep vasoline on the area to keep it from scabbing up---if it does scab, just use the hot compress treatment again until the scab softens up & genetly scrape the scab off.

In some feed stores or pet stores you can find something called panalog, it has a very long nozzle and you just put it in the hole and squeeze some panalog in it, it is an antibiotic and what we always used at the vets for these probs.

If possible, shave the hair around the abcess so it doesn't get caught up in the dried puss. Try to keep the cat indoors, and if the abcess is on a lower part of the body check the cat after he goes to the litterbox to make sure no litter is sticking to the area, same treatment if it is, hot, moist compress and remove it.

You should always know {write it down if necessary, tape it to the inside of your medicine chest and always write on their thermometer, PETS} your pets healthy temperature so you will know absolutely if they do have a fever, the vet appreciates it if you can tell them the pets temp and it may decide how soon they get in to see the doctor.

I understand you have financial issues but I would still go to the vet. My older cat had the same thing , and even though it cost me a lot, I felt much better having it done professionally. It prevents further infection, and they know how to treat it properly. It healed up in no time. If you love your animals, you will take them to a hospital just like any human.

I am unsure what you mean by an abscess. If this is a small infection caused by being in a fight with another cat, you could treat it like you would a small infection on yourself. I have used an antibiotic cream on my cat, but the scratch which was infected was on the middle of his back where he couldn't reach it. I have also used this on a kitten who had infected tail and leg from getting caught in the door. The leg was not broken or anything -- it had been scraped, and then became infected. I had to figure out some sort of bandage to keep the kitten from licking the cream off. If this is infection under the skin, perhaps it is as the previous poster has mentioned, an infection that has scabbed over and is still badly infected undernneath. I have no experience with that sort of thing.