Treating a Yeast Infection on a Dog

I have 4 Chihuahuas. They all are itching even after bathing them with Dawn in case they have fleas. I am also treating them afterwards with a flea treatment. They all are still itching and some have bald spots from biting and gnawing on their backs. My one female is extremely itchy. She literally hides and when she comes out she cries and scratches her back on a table or anything that is the right height for her to rib against.

I've looked things up on the internet and I believe she has a yeast infection on her back. She also crawls around to relieve the itch. My son read where you can give her Benadryl which I have been doing. She has a very foul odor that even bathing doesn't take away. Like I said I have treated her for fleas and when I check her I don't see any. Her skin on her back is black which leads me to believe it is a yeast infection. How can I treat this without taking her to the vet? As we have just lost our house and money is very tight. I feel so bad for her.

How can I get rid of it at home? I know the first thing they will try to give her is antibiotics. And I know in humans this can lead to a yeast infection. Having had it happen to me. We thought at first it was just hot spots. As I had a Shih Tzu who used to get them all the time. She doesn't seem to want to bite at it thankfully so I don't see any raw areas except around her genital area. Hence the crawling when she does come out of hiding. I'm ready to buy what we use to treat a yeast infection on us. But I'm afraid if she does start biting it will make her sick. Please help! I want her to get relief from this because I feel so bad for her. The others are itching and biting, but their skin isn't black like hers. Anybody know of a treatment that I can give her that won't harm her?

Best Answer

It really sounds like mange. My dogs got mange and they had all the symptoms you mentioned. One dog receive 2 doses of ivermectin, two weeks apart and the other got revolution, two weeks apart. They are both doing so much better now! Hair remains clean, shiny and smelling good.

My lab is still licking her privates a lot so I think she may also be infected with yeast as well. So that's my next thing. My chihuahua is not showing the same symptoms so I think now that her mange is gone she is fine.

The first thing I would do is put them all on grain free diet. There are so many brands out there that you won't have trouble finding them.

A raw diet has also been suggested, however I worry about the safety in that.

I ended up with my little chi, making his food myself. I never use grains. I buy frozen veggies, ground beef, chicken breast, blue berries and cranberries. I put the cooked veggies in a food processor

and chunk the meat so he sees it. When I prepare each meal, I add 1 tsp coconut oil and crush a multi vitamin in it. Sometimes I add neutro powder as well. Sometimes I add egg. It is much less expensive and I know exactly what he is eating.

Pepto bismol on hot spots it works for dogs.they use it on old people with bed sores!!realy works

I used to have a guinea pig that had a yeast infection. I shampooed with a human anti-fungal shampoo. Usually, you can find these by the anti-dandruff shampoos. Let the shampoo sit a few minutes and rinse. Can use an anti-fungal cream or spray (for athletes foot) in the rash if it itches. Switching to a grain-free food is good, too. Check the ingredients to see if it contains Vit C (ascorbic acid) which helps immune system to fight.

I had a wonderful lab that became really ill with yeast, and after doing some research found a really good natural treatment protocol at Nzymes.com. He was losing fur all over his face and the skin was puffy and blackish, along with thin patches on his body, chronic ear infections and strange itchy black skin patches all over his belly- he was constantly scratching. Vet check showed no mange. The supplements were easy to administer in his food, and it wasn't long before he started to improve, then fully healed within several months. The longer they've had the issue, the longer it will take to resolve. At the very least, get your dog on some probiotics. But I highly recommend the Nzyme supplements, and it's cheaper than going to the vets! Good luck! Chris

Dog's Yeast Infection
Treating a Dog's Yeast Infection
Pets Dogs HealthAugust 26, 2016
A dog holding a paw up to one of his ears, as if listening.
Natural Treatment for Yeast Infection in Dog's Ears
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
oinment bottle
Treating a Staph Infection (Cellulitis)
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 9:09:48 PM on 10.0.0.29 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.