Trouble With Briggs and Stratton Lawn Mower

I have a 4.5 Hp Briggs and Stratton Engine on my lawn mower. It's only 2 years old, but has never really run properly. It starts fine, but then runs sporadically. It's almost like there is a carburetor issue as it idles up and down. What can I do about it?

Ham Bone from Denver, CO

Sounds like the same trouble we had with ours, we thought it was everything from carburetor trouble to the primer bulb. When we gave up and went to our local garden tractor repair shop they listened to our trouble said I know exactly what you need. Walked over and picked up a $5.00 carburetor gasket and said you may have to replace this every year or so. Now it runs just fine. Sounds like this is a common problem. Hope that this will help you. (05/23/2008)

By MLP89

RE: Trouble With Briggs and Stratton Lawn Mower

Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Mowing With Weed Wacker
Mowing a Lawn Without a Mower
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Patchy unhealthy lawn.
Homemade Lawn Fertilizer Recipes