Troubleshooting Computer Software

On occasion, your computer's browser software can begin behaving in ways that are frustrating. You may need to troubleshoot the problem in order to return to normal internet functionality. This is a guide about troubleshooting computer software.

June 16, 2010 Flag

I love my computer but must admit that I'm not savvy on it at all. I am forever coming across a problem that I don't know how to fix and having to call HP, AOL or somebody to help me.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 9, 2013 Flag

A man having trouble with his computer.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about troubleshooting computer problems. Computers are are great tools for home and office, when they are working properly.

April 9, 2008 Flag

Just to keep my computer maintained I downloaded AOL Computer Check Up. It's free from AOL and it takes about 2 minutes when I'm turning off the computer to clean the hard drive, cache, and all temporary internet files and cookies.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 20, 2007 Flag

My computer has become more and more unresponsive. When I open up IE, it is slow and sometimes will sorta freeze up. I can unfreeze it if I open up another page of IE and click somewhere on that page when it loads. For some reason, when I go back to the first page I was trying to get to cooperate, it will start working again.

Sometimes when I "x out" or try to close a page it is totally unresponsive. I will do control Alt delete and it still won't close out. Most times I just have to hit the power button and shut the whole computer down and I don't mean going to the start menu and shutting it off like you are supposed to, that process is unresponsive also.

I have run anit spyware and Microsoft updates and AVG antivirus software. It just seems to be getting worse and worse.

Any ideas?

Paula Scott from GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could have some malicious tags or software that are acting like a parasite to IE. effectively hijacking it. try running a program called Hijack This, it is a free ware program that can be downloaded on Google and has worked for me many times before. if you can not get it up and running, you can call me at 770-573-0741 and i may have some other suggestions. My company's name is Atlanta Technical Solutions, we serve Metro Atlanta and surrounding areas.

My guess is it has malware (Spyware)

Download Ad-Aware Personal SE and run it couple of times.

It is a free program.

Look on Google for URL.........jr

Have you checked to make sure remote access is turned off? write down the complete address your experiencing trouble with. open tools from the top right, select internet options, on the general tab compare the web addresses. If it is identical , open a second tab type in your home pages basic address. Wait for page to finish opening then right hand click, select copy .on general tab erase the address then right hand click, paste and select use current hit apply. This is just basic things to try and regain your speed.

April 27, 2011 Flag

I have a Dell laptop Inspirion, and I'm on AOL 9.6 which is compatible with my system. As I type I am accidentally hitting possibly the space bar and or other keys and my cursor jumps to some previous place in my email, though it also happens in Word Perfect. I've never had this problem before with other computers.

Is this what "sticky keys" are? Is this just a glitch in the system? It's so frustrating since I write a lot while reading from my notebook. I have to keep looking at the computer to make sure the cursor didn't jump back and mess everything up. Any suggestions? Or is it just this computer?
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Patti

By Patti from Ewing, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a Compaq laptop and I could never figure out what was going on. This makes sense- brushing up against the touch-pad. I use a mouse but when I'm replying to email or posting on a forum my cursor will skip back through what I've already typed. I'll have to try putting tape over it and see if that helps. Thanks for that suggestion!

I have the same problem, but I am NOT hitting my touchpad. I also have a Dell. Another things that I don't like: when I hit my Caps Lock, it loses it's place! Very frustrating.

Thank you Tapestry Lady, for that tip. It sounds better than anything else I've tried or heard. And thanks for the solidarity from everyone else. It IS frustrating isn't it?

smiles.

December 9, 2008 Flag

I use Netscape as my browser and today it loaded fine earlier in the day, but when I tried to load it a second time it won't load, in fact there's absolutely no response when I click on the icon. I know that Netscape is not the best browser these days, but all of my bookmarks I've saved up throughout the years are on there. I tried downloading a newer version of Netscape but it won't load either. Please help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If a reboot does not work, you may have to use the system restore to a previous time when Netscape did work. When you do get it working, under the bookmarks menu you will find an import/export link. Export your favorites as a file in your documents as a back up for future use.

If you install Flock, Firefox or another browser it should ask if you want to import your bookmarks from Netscape.

I'm the gal who posted the question: Yes, re-booting was the very first thing I did & this didn't help. Secondly I did try what LartryD suggested, I tried to Restore the computer to 1 week before & then 2 days before & the computer said "there were no changes made to it & it couldn't be restored". I also downloaded a slightly newer version of Netscape & this also would NOT load.

I am now downloading Firefox to use as my browser. If I can't ever get into my Netscape, can I still get the bookmarks from it? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

This is a problem that goes beyond simply rebooting the PC. The ideal solution would be to uninstall your older Netscape completely, THEN install the new version of Netscape.

But, as you know, you'd lose your bookmarks in the process. So we've gotta save those, first.

Do you have Internet Explorer installed? If so, just open IE, and follow the instructions for importing bookmarks. If you have a newer PC with IE version 7, here's how you do it:

http://www.well  l#importbookmark

If you're using an older version of IE, this page will help:

http://help.all  ks2favorites.php

Now your bookmarks are saved, and you can deal with getting Netscape working, before re-importing your bookmarks BACK to Netscape! :-)

Once your bookmarks are safe, uninstall Netscape. Then install the new version. If you're still having problems, here are some other sites that might help--if nothing else, you can join the forum and ask questions there.

Here's a Windows help forum:

http://www.wind  -wont-start.html

Here's a Netscape help forum:

http://communit  g=ws-nscpbrowser

(Tip: Post with a subject like "Netscape won't start". Help forum users hate it when people just post something like "Help!", that gives no details about the problem.)

I hope you'll be able to find a solution! And remember, in the future, BACK UP your bookmarks by exporting them to a file. (Your Netscape Help file will tell you how.)

Good luck!

October 17, 2011 Flag

My computer keeps jumping around. I can't write a complete sentence. What could be the problem?

By Gerry

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Without more information I can only make a guess. Check that everything is plugged in tightly. Plugs, esp. for keyboards and mice, will work loose if moved around very much. Hope this helps.

If this is a laptop with a touch pad the palms of your hands could be making the cursor move.

If this is a desktop borrow a keyboard and mouse and see if it does the same erratic movement with the new devises. Be sure to get the same type of devises. If you have PS2 don't replace them with USB and vice versa. If the same results occur borrow a different plug in type. If you have PS2 replace them with USB.

Also... it is unlikely but try replacing one devise at a time, There could be a conflict in the devises. This would eliminate that. If it only turns out your mouse is causing all the problems then just replace it.

Worse case scenario you may have to reinstall windows. If there is a conflict in the IRQ ports changing the devises might not fix it.

Good luck.

Have you recently updated or upgraded your browser or OS (operating system), and are you on Internet Explorer with a Windows operating system?

If yes, go up in the tool bar and hover the curser over the icons until you find the one that says something about compatibility-I think you may be having 'compatibility' problems since the update/upgrade.

I'm on a Mac now, but when I was on a Windows OS and did updates or upgrades I would have to adjust the compatibility because I would have the same problem you are describing.

July 13, 2011 Flag

I can open my emails, but as of yesterday I can not delete, forward, reply, or send. Those options are not loaded; even the update option won't work.

By Chris

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What email software are you using? Is your email service on a website like hotmail or yahoo mail? What operating system are you using if you use email software? If you use a web based email what browser do you use and what version is it?

E-mail your server and ask this question. They will have a better answer on how to solve your dilemma.

May 13, 2008 Flag

Recently my computer has been having an issue. When I type in an internet address (ie: my bank, aol mail, etc.), it says "Internet Explorer has blocked this site due to security certificate issues", telling me the certificate has either expired or is not valid. Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

I restored my computer to an earlier time before this issue and it didn't help

imaqt1962 from IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your security setting may be too high.

Click on tools, internet options, then click on the security tab and adjust the sliding bar (at the bottom) to a different setting. Your setting may be at 'high' which won't allow access to many sites. If you adjust it to 'medium' that may help.

I wouldn't drop a firewall just to get into a site. If all advice fails, download Mozilla Firefox free. It's a better browser than IE, as this site shows:

http://www.xulp  rts/reasons.html

and it is much less subject to hackers and spyware.

http://news.bbc  logy/3840101.stm

Check the overview on your anti virus.

August 6, 2009 Flag

For some reason my computer won't let me load any software. I can't retrieve pictures from a disk, I can't load Digital Image (which worked fine on my other computer), nothing loads from my CD reader.

When I try setup.exe I get a "not found" message, and I don't seem to have Setup Wizard at all, even when the disc I try to run has it. What's going on, and how do I get my computer to read things?

By Chiismychi from Tucson, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To address a computer issue, you need to specify crapple or windows based. But, it seems you can't get anything to be read in your disc drive, so the drive might be bad. If it is just a cd drive, they are pretty cheap and easy to replace. DVD drives cost a bit more but are also easy to replace.

Search "Device Manager" and check the cd component from there.

If that doesn't work, then do a recovery but back up your stuff on a flash drive first.

If that doesn't work.....take it to a repair shop.

THe CD/DVD drive may be toast. If the device is not found, think about how old the drive is. It may be as easy as spending a few bucks to get a new one.

August 17, 2014 Flag

How can I find what Windows has done with my desktop gadget clock? After an update the whole thing disappeared and seems to be nowhere on my computer. The gadget app was my clock.

By Anne S from Bradford UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Go to START, type in Desktop Gadgets and it should appear above. Click on it, then right click on the clock you want and choose ADD. (Or if that does not work, choose Restore Desktop Gadgets and do the Add process) Hope this helps.

March 22, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know if Windows Internet Explorer has changed the layout/format of their home page? Internet Explorer is my home page and it looks different than it used to.

By Sharon from Southern IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Internet Explorer is your browser. Your home page is whatever website you select. For example, my home page is Google. What version IE are you using? To discover this, click on the ">>" symbol next to Tools, this will open Help. Go down an click on About Internet Explorer. It will tell you what version you have. If you have an older version you may need to update.

Internet Explorer isn't a home page. It's a Web browser. Your home page is a Web site, and if you've never changed it, it's probably MSN or something like that. Web sites change their designs periodically, and it's nothing to worry about. It doesn't affect your computer at all, though you might have to re-learn where to find things. ;)

September 19, 2015 Flag

My Dell won't let me uninstall my corrupted Bluetooth drivers so I can install new ones. Does anyone know how to convince it to let me uninstall? It is a Dell Inspiron 64 Bit, Windows 8. The photo shows what I'm getting. It won't let me do anything.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 13, 2015 Flag

I have a 2 1/2 year old Gateway computer and as of late, the computer starts to hum after about 45 minutes. I assumed it is the fan and that it needs cleaning. Now the technician said, it might be something else. I do not know his reputation and I had some bad luck the last time. Has anybody had the some problem and can give me some advice?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2010 Flag

I used to have the choice when loading up my Mozilla Firefox browser to choose the regular mode or the "safe" mode. Several days ago I tried to log on in "regular" mode and only the "safe" mode was available to me.

Did I change something by hitting something in the program accidentally? Oh, yeah, duh. Now that I think about it, I do remember my computer freezing up last week and I hit the "control-alt-delete" button to try and unfreeze it. Was that it? If so, what did I hit and what did I do wrong? How do I again bring up the "regular" (not safe-mode) of Firefox again?

By Cyinda from the Seattle/Tacoma area

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Computers TroubleshootingApril 12, 2014
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
A man having trouble with his computer.
Troubleshooting Computer Problems
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2017 at 9:15:22 PM on 10.0.0.166 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.