Unclogging a Sink With a Garbage Disposal

How do you unclog a sink that has an attached garbage disposal unit?

win11 from Tucson, AZ

Answers:

It maybe the disposal is causing the clog. You should have an Allen wrench that fits into the bottom of the disposal. Insert and turn counter clockwise. That should free up the disposal. If you don't have an Allen wrench go to a hardware or big box store and tell them what you need so you will get the right size.

If you want to remove the disposal,disconnect the drain trap.Have a bucket ready because most of the water in the sink will run out through the hose. Also disconnect from a dishwasher if you have one jointed to the disposal. While supporting the disposal place the Allen wrench into the mounting lug and turn. The disposal will fall free. If this sounds confusing go to a big box store and they can show you how to remove the disposal. (11/19/2008)

By Harry

Ours sometimes clogs with big pieces of cantaloupe rind which does require taking apart, but if there's smaller stuff in there, I'm pretty sure you can use Draino Foam Snake. Those 2-in-1 liquids are the best! Do not use regular declogger as it does not have the right mix of chemicals to really break down.

In the future, keep blades sharp by "chopping" ice cubes in disposal and fresh by pouring in lemon juice and/or lemon rind. (11/23/2008)

By Gail

Look at the posts on this website re. unclogging a garbage disposal. I used the hint of using baking soda and vinegar. I put it in both the garbage disposal and the sink drain; waited about 20 minutes, and poured in boiling water on both sides. The water went down a little. I used the plunger on the sink side. I then stopped up the sink drain and used the plunger on the disposal side. I needed to repeat the baking soda and vinegar and VOILA! all of a sudden the clogs released. I ran the disposal using hot water and ran hot water down the sink drain. To be safe, I repeated the baking soda, vinegar, boiling water steps. What a relief--the sweet sound of water running freely. All total, took me about 45 minutes. Hope this works for you all. (09/09/2009)

By herbgrl

Sink drain with water running into sink.
Clearing a Clogged Kitchen Sink Drain
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Celery and Banana Going into Garbage Disposal
Cleaning a Garbage Disposal
kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
Clean garbage disposal drain.
Keeping Garbage Disposal Smelling Fresh
🎉
🎄