Garbage Disposal Backs Up Into Sink

Category Plumbing
You can clear a clogged garbage disposal yourself without calling a plumber. This is a guide about garbage disposal backs up into sink.

My disposal gets clogged, when using the dishwasher and backs up into sink. How can I stop this?

By rooney72 from NY

Answers

Best Answer

When I moved into an apartment that had both a dishwasher and garbage disposal(which was the first time I'd had either) I had that problem, too. The maintenance mad said you should always run the disposal before running the dishwasher. The water from the dishwasher will still back up into the sink that has the disposal in it, but at least you won't get whatever you have dumped into the disposal. If anybody has more information on this it might be helpful.

Best Answer

As a property manager, I have had my share of this. There are some really good things to do.
One, don't put things like celery or potato skins down the disposal, as they are stringy and starchy, and gum things up.
Two, run water before and after you use the disposal.
Three, once a week, throw in a few ice cubes and coffee grounds to keep the blades sharp.
Four, if the trap is clogged, it's just a couple of turns with a wrench or even your hand (PVC is easy) with a tub or big bowl under neath. For those "plumbing challenged" folks, that is the "U" shaped one under the sink. Clean it out, reattach and you are good to go.

Anonymous
Best Answer

After doing something dumb... putting down 24 egg shells down my disposal, my sink backed up... tried plunging both sides and then it backed up into my dishwasher. I never did any kind of plumbing and thought I'd have to call a plumber to empty the trap and fix it. After reading your blog, I tried to do it myself. Taking the trap apart was easy (no tools!) and was fixed in five minutes without a service call. Thank you!

My drain is clogged in the the sink next to the garbage disposal. Every time I run the disposal the water comes up on the sink next to the disposal.

By Pete

Answers

Best Answer

Pour about 1/4 cup dawn dish detergent in the sink drain and let sit for about 15 minutes. Then pour a kettle of hot water in the drain and use a plunger to clean out the drain. This should get the drain cleaned out and flowing good. I saw this tip on Thriftyfun and it has worked well for me.