Unclogging a Sink With a Garbage Disposal

My kitchen sink is backed up. Both the drain and garbage disposal are getting full. We plugged the drain and ran the garbage disposal and vice versa. I did laundry about 1/2 an hour before, but while we were doing this I went into the garage and it was flooded.

I don't have the money to call a plumber, so I'm trying to find a cheap way to fix this. I'm supposed to have a slumber party for an 8 year old on Saturday. Please help.

By Monica from Los Banos, CA

Answers:

There is some really good advice in the ThriftyFun archives below. I hope you're able to have the problem remedied by Saturday! (03/05/2010)

By Deeli

Whatever you end up doing, please wear gloves when working with plumbing or sewage. A man near us was trying to repair his own plumbing, got sewage on a cut on his hand and died several days later from the infection. Be safe! (03/05/2010)

By Cathy S

I had this happen. I ran the disposal first to make sure anything in there was dissolved. Then I turned the dishwasher on and when it began to drain I used a plunger and pushed back and forth, hard. The pressure from the plunger and the water pushing up from the dishwasher unclogged the the line. I never found out what was clogging it. (03/06/2010)

By Amy3e

I's always a good idea to boil a gallon of vinegar and pour it down all at once. Be careful not to burn yourself. I always do this first. This has even brought hair clogs to the surface so that I can pull them out. If there is any mold or mildew it will kill that also which will help a great deal. If this doesn't work, it's time to call the plumber. (03/08/2010)

By Stngray

Amy's answer saved us. it worked! We cleaned out the drains, nothing. Then filled the garbage disposal with water, started the dishwasher with the other drains plugged, and it worked. Thanks for the help. (06/06/2010)

By portbayblanch

Sink drain with water running into sink.
Clearing a Clogged Kitchen Sink Drain
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Celery and Banana Going into Garbage Disposal
Cleaning a Garbage Disposal
kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
Clean garbage disposal drain.
Keeping Garbage Disposal Smelling Fresh
🎄