Unclogging a Toilet

What is the soap trick to unclog a toilet?

By Bob from Dayton, OH

Unclogging a Toilet

My husband tried 4 bottles of Drano and snaking the toilet for a week to no avail. Finally, I decided to look it up on the internet as a last ditch effort. I poured in 1/4 cup of dish detergent and a 1/2 cup of clothes detergent. I let is sit while I boiled some water. Once water was boiled, I poured it into the toilet and then plunged away like a mad woman, until some of the water started to disappear. Then I flushed. Voila. Unclogged toilet.

It worked and I'm so happy cause my husband spent hours trying to snake it. Now little ole me, can say I unclogged it in less than 2 minutes. I wish I knew how the boiling water and detergent worked, what is it that makes these two simple ingredients flush down all that? Thanks for the help, I'm so grateful. (11/17/2009)

By leelea

Unclogging a Toilet

Don't pour hot water into a porcelain bowl that is cold; it will crack. It happened to me. (11/17/2009)

By Pinksa

Unclogging a Toilet

Hot water causes an expansion and this could be why it helps. Also, when you add hot water to detergent or liquid dish soap, it dissolves the soap really well, cold water doesn't. So between the expansion from the hot water and it dissolving the soap, it probably works by dissolving into the clog and helping it to slip down. Sort of like a greased pig, for want of a better description. (11/19/2009)

By c t

Unclogging a Toilet

Liquid soap + warm water = a cleared drain.
All I can say is it works. Thank you.

Unclogging a Toilet
Unclogging a Toilet
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Toddler looking in open toilet
Plastic Ball Stuck in Toilet
Snaking a toilet
Products for Unclogging a Toilet
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet