Browsing: Understanding Parakeet Behavior

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Understanding Parakeet Behavior

Understanding your parakeet's behavior will make for a much more pleasant bird rearing experience. This is a guide about understanding parakeet behavior.

Parakeet
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 2, 2007 Flag

My parakeet seems to be gagging herself and vomiting. She positions herself under her perch, one foot on the bottom of the cage, one on the perch and she sticks one 'toe' down her throat until gooey half digested food strings out of her mouth. Has anyone else experienced this?

Deb from Kauai, HI

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Gagging and regurgitating can be a sign of an impacted crop or a love offering. This is the time of year for them to be hormonal so I would bet she is giving you love offerings but to be safe it wouldn't hurt to consult an avian vet.

Paula

Your parakeet may have something stuck in her throat and she is trying to get it out, either that or her throat may be itchy and she is trying to scratch it. Take her to the veterinarian as soon as you can, because she could accidentally hurt herself.

I don't know what to tell you but I do know that parakeets DO NOT need grit to digest their food there are some birds that do need grit but parakeets are not one of them. I think that you need to take your bird to the vet ASAP to make sure nothing is wrong. Other than that if everything is healthy, they do that as a sign of affection and it is kinda like a love offering good luck.

After 3 vets and numerous visits I finally found out why my parakeet was gagging. He has a tumor and will die from it. The only thing I was told to do was give him drops of predisone in apple juice. It stops him from gagging and also helps with his breathing. As long as he's in no pain and eating I'm good with catching him every day to give him the steroid. I consider it end of life care.

You might want to try changing her food. My parakeet started to exhibit the almost continual gagging and then spitting food/vomit symptoms that would go on for a quite awhile. I had also experienced this with previous birds I've owned where I put it off to 'love offerings'. This time I immediately changed her diet and the gagging stopped. Been over a week now and it hasn't restarted. Good Luck!

February 20, 2010 Flag

My budgie has become very angry with me and I don't know why.

By Bianca from Chicago, IL

I didn't have the faintest idea what a budgie was until I used a search engine. If you are having behavioral problems with your bird talk to a vet.

They get that way at times. I have had to watch mine, mine is VERY uncomfortable with people...I had to do some of the following exercises with him to get him less agitated when I would change out his water and food.

Walk over to the cage.

Put your hand inside the cage, very slowly, point at him. Once he acts like he wants to end the contact...then slowly retrieve your finger, still pointing at him and back up and turn around and walk off.

Try this again, every so often throughout the day. I did this about 10 times at first, it teaches the very smart bird that it can control any contact from you.

I also did a thing to make it more comfortable..i little squares of paper with hearts cut out of in onto his cage front with clear tape. He cant see as much going on and he is more comfortable. as a matter of fact, he has never been so active.

Where is the cage at? If he is showing possessiveness, I would move the cage around the house one day about ten different times and then walk away T hat shows him you are in charge of the cage and he is not.

LOL I love budgies!

Also, here are some free videos on bird training, which I like to view every so often.

http://www.squidoo.com/ParrotTamingandTraining

Robyn

I like this video also, it is on utube after it plays there are lots more here also...notice the soft voices and eating by the cage and talking to the bird as if it was a friend visiting you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K_lRwaGj2w&NR=1

Budgies, like any creature, can go through times of moodiness. Be patient, gentle and loving with your budgie and hopefully the mood will improve. Robyn Fed has some good ideas and links as well. Is your bird aggressive to everyone, or just you? And have you changed anything(cage location, new toy) that might be making your bird nervous and acting out from insecurity? If you have a good avian vet, they can be a good resource and there are lots of bird forums with good advice as well. I like ThePerch.net.

August 14, 2010 Flag

Our 2 year old, male parakeet has been holding his wings slightly away from his body. It looks like he's warm, but the house is 75 degrees. Vet states that all looks okay. How can we tell if he has a heart ailment? What else might be causing him to do this? We are very worried.

By JillyD from Sacramento, CA

I've seen this as a form of begging in birds. Are they getting enough attention? Food? Water? Treats? Are they bored and/or frustrated? (Being destructive, shrieking, pulling feathers out?)

But if they are scratching a lot they could have mites and are trying to cool down because it soothes the bites. Have you googled the issue?

We did Google this, but nothing came up that was healpful. The vet seems to think that it's pin feathers may be bothering him. It's gone on for about four weeks though. Seems like a long time for a bird to have pin feathers. He isn't shrieking or pulling feathers out. He stands up really straight (like he's scared) and kind of holds that pose for awhile too. His appetite seems to be good.

Problems breathing?

May 24, 2006 Flag

I have a parakeet that just recently started acting funny... climbing and clinging to the side walls of the cage and the top of the cage, picking at it's back side like there's no tomorrow. It sometimes seems hyper. It's feathers are a little ruffled, but it's been eating like crazy and drinking like crazy. It doesn't seem to be pooping as much as it should... Any ideas?

Only1 from Rochester, NY

GET IT TO A VET, IT COULD BE SERIOUS!!!

My friend tried to fix her bird alone and it died

o go to a vet or at least call a vet or 24 hour

animal hospital for tips or idea of what it could be.

You did not say if your bird is a male or female, if it is a female she could be egg bound, Please take her to a vet a s a p

Thanks everyone, I brought him to a vet, said everything appeared to be OK except he needs iodine... seems he has a goiter because he doesn't eat his veggies like he should. Also, I found out that parakeets can act funny during or after molting and if their wings aren't clipped, they can suddenly act as if they're the boss.

Is your bird molting or recently molted? Picking at it's butt can just be it's coating it's feathers. Right at the base of their body above the tail they have an oil gland. They use this oil to coat their feathers.

If it's picking closer to it's cloaca (vent) it could be a more serious problem like egg binding which someone already mentioned.

Paula

We had 2 parakeets but we lost one. Would it be okay if we got another parakeet? They told us that it was they were both brother's, but one was a girl. we are just wondering if we got another bird would our male parakeet get along with the other bird? Or would he dominate the other bird. or would he be happier with some to play with. it would be a new born bird also, so we can raise it right, we also have another question my bird is *grooming* and he is squeaking extremely loud when he cleans like he is biting himself or he get startled.

Thank you.

December 11, 2009 Flag

While I was away, for 6 weeks, my male budgie stayed with a friend whom he knows and who loves him. He was molting and it was suggested to my friend that she sprinkle a few drops of flax seed oil in his seeds about 2 times per week.

Load More
Pets BirdsJune 1, 2013
Training a Parakeet
Training a Parakeet
Parakeet
Parakeet Losing Its Feathers
Parakeets sitting on a wood perch.
Determining the Gender of a Parakeet
Skunk
Understanding Skunk Behavior
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 19, 2016 at 12:32:01 AM on 10.0.0.61 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.