Understanding Parakeet Behavior

Understanding your parakeet's behavior will make for a much more pleasant bird rearing experience. This is a guide about understanding parakeet behavior.

January 2, 2007 Flag

My parakeet seems to be gagging herself and vomiting. She positions herself under her perch, one foot on the bottom of the cage, one on the perch and she sticks one 'toe' down her throat until gooey half digested food strings out of her mouth. Has anyone else experienced this?

Deb from Kauai, HI

Gagging and regurgitating can be a sign of an impacted crop or a love offering. This is the time of year for them to be hormonal so I would bet she is giving you love offerings but to be safe it wouldn't hurt to consult an avian vet.

Paula

Your parakeet may have something stuck in her throat and she is trying to get it out, either that or her throat may be itchy and she is trying to scratch it. Take her to the veterinarian as soon as you can, because she could accidentally hurt herself.

I don't know what to tell you but I do know that parakeets DO NOT need grit to digest their food there are some birds that do need grit but parakeets are not one of them. I think that you need to take your bird to the vet ASAP to make sure nothing is wrong. Other than that if everything is healthy, they do that as a sign of affection and it is kinda like a love offering good luck.

After 3 vets and numerous visits I finally found out why my parakeet was gagging. He has a tumor and will die from it. The only thing I was told to do was give him drops of predisone in apple juice. It stops him from gagging and also helps with his breathing. As long as he's in no pain and eating I'm good with catching him every day to give him the steroid. I consider it end of life care.

February 20, 2010 Flag

My budgie has become very angry with me and I don't know why.

By Bianca from Chicago, IL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I didn't have the faintest idea what a budgie was until I used a search engine. If you are having behavioral problems with your bird talk to a vet.

They get that way at times. I have had to watch mine, mine is VERY uncomfortable with people...I had to do some of the following exercises with him to get him less agitated when I would change out his water and food.

Walk over to the cage.

Put your hand inside the cage, very slowly, point at him. Once he acts like he wants to end the contact...then slowly retrieve your finger, still pointing at him and back up and turn around and walk off.

Try this again, every so often throughout the day. I did this about 10 times at first, it teaches the very smart bird that it can control any contact from you.

I also did a thing to make it more comfortable..i little squares of paper with hearts cut out of in onto his cage front with clear tape. He cant see as much going on and he is more comfortable. as a matter of fact, he has never been so active.

Where is the cage at? If he is showing possessiveness, I would move the cage around the house one day about ten different times and then walk away T hat shows him you are in charge of the cage and he is not.

LOL I love budgies!

Also, here are some free videos on bird training, which I like to view every so often.

http://www.squidoo.com/ParrotTamingandTraining

Robyn

I like this video also, it is on utube after it plays there are lots more here also...notice the soft voices and eating by the cage and talking to the bird as if it was a friend visiting you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K_lRwaGj2w&NR=1

August 14, 2010 Flag

Our 2 year old, male parakeet has been holding his wings slightly away from his body. It looks like he's warm, but the house is 75 degrees. Vet states that all looks okay. How can we tell if he has a heart ailment? What else might be causing him to do this? We are very worried.

By JillyD from Sacramento, CA

I've seen this as a form of begging in birds. Are they getting enough attention? Food? Water? Treats? Are they bored and/or frustrated? (Being destructive, shrieking, pulling feathers out?)

But if they are scratching a lot they could have mites and are trying to cool down because it soothes the bites. Have you googled the issue?

We did Google this, but nothing came up that was healpful. The vet seems to think that it's pin feathers may be bothering him. It's gone on for about four weeks though. Seems like a long time for a bird to have pin feathers. He isn't shrieking or pulling feathers out. He stands up really straight (like he's scared) and kind of holds that pose for awhile too. His appetite seems to be good.

Problems breathing?

May 24, 2006 Flag

I have a parakeet that just recently started acting funny... climbing and clinging to the side walls of the cage and the top of the cage, picking at it's back side like there's no tomorrow. It sometimes seems hyper. It's feathers are a little ruffled, but it's been eating like crazy and drinking like crazy. It doesn't seem to be pooping as much as it should... Any ideas?

Only1 from Rochester, NY

GET IT TO A VET, IT COULD BE SERIOUS!!!

My friend tried to fix her bird alone and it died

so go to a vet or at least call a vet or 24 hour

animal hospital for tips or idea of what it could be.

You did not say if your bird is a male or female, if it is a female she could be egg bound, Please take her to a vet a s a p

Thanks everyone, I brought him to a vet, said everything appeared to be OK except he needs iodine... seems he has a goiter because he doesn't eat his veggies like he should. Also, I found out that parakeets can act funny during or after molting and if their wings aren't clipped, they can suddenly act as if they're the boss.

Is your bird molting or recently molted? Picking at it's butt can just be it's coating it's feathers. Right at the base of their body above the tail they have an oil gland. They use this oil to coat their feathers.

If it's picking closer to it's cloaca (vent) it could be a more serious problem like egg binding which someone already mentioned.

Paula

December 11, 2009 Flag

While I was away, for 6 weeks, my male budgie stayed with a friend whom he knows and who loves him. He was molting and it was suggested to my friend that she sprinkle a few drops of flax seed oil in his seeds about 2 times per week.

Before I took him home, yesterday, my friend told me that he has almost stopped singing and talking. This began about 3-4 weeks ago, she thinks.

His "nose" has changed color to 2-tone colors of bright blue by his nose air vents and the rest is now an off-white color and almost appears (this could be my imagination) to be a little swollen or protruding.

Is any of this normal? He's 3 1/2 years old.

By Gerry from Las Vegas, NV

I'm sorry to say I don't know about birds, but I'm thinking that you should get your little friend into the vet. Since it's a combination of both appearance and behavior, it sounds like it could be serious.

Best of luck . . . I hope your bird is feeling better soon!

Ditto with mrs.story!

First, your little budgie is a male. The part of his 'nose' that turned blue is called the cere.. If it is blue, violet or shades of, this maens he is a male. If the cere is beige, brown or sort of fleshie colored, it is a female. The rest of the beak is called a mandible. Upper and lower. Different species of birds have different color mandibles. The main thing you shound watch for is changes in his 'poop'. If it's runny or odd color, check with your vet. Your birdie may have stopped talking because he missed you. Give him a little time to adjust to being 'home'.. If you're still not comfortable, check with an AVAIN (bird) vet. I hope this helps. Diane www.LaziBirds.com

August 21, 2011 Flag

I just got two parakeets, one girl and a boy. My girl parakeet bites herself; why does she do that? I also noticed that my boy bird puts food in my girl bird's mouth. Then he rocks back in forth like he's dancing. Why do they do that? This is my first time having birds.

By Paulina

Make sure that every so often at least twice a day you blow out the seed cup. This means the bird will leave empty hulls when he eats the seed. He cannot dig under this to get at food. So that is the first thing to know. He could have mites. Or he could just be preening himself. Here is a link to lots of parakeet information. http://www.ehow.com/how_8421081_treat-parakeet-mites.html

I think you will enjoy your birds so much. I have one, and they love mirrors, and toys. Check out the toys and such on drsfostersmith they have amazing things for birds to do. My parakeet, Perry, is as wild as he can be and hates to be picked up or touched etc. But he is very sociable and his best friend is a Rooster we keep on a special area in our room. It is great to see them interact! This is a picture of Phoenix the rooster when he was younger, visiting with Perry who loves him dearly, more than he loves me. lol

Blessings,

Robyn

The boy feeding the girl sounds like mating behavior, you might read up on what to look out for if some babies are on the way! :-)

April 19, 2011 Flag

Why is my parakeet biting?

May 23, 2013 Flag

My boy parakeet seems to be feeding the girl. What does that mean and is she getting all her nutrition she needs?

Load More
Pets BirdsJune 1, 2013
Training a Parakeet
Training a Parakeet
Parakeet
Parakeet Losing Its Feathers
Parakeets sitting on a wood perch.
Determining the Gender of a Parakeet
Skunk
Understanding Skunk Behavior
🎄