Unique 50th Birthday Party Ideas

Category Birthday
Planning one of the milestone birthday parties doesn't have to be stressful. This is a guide about unique 50th birthday party ideas.

I will be celebrating my 50th birthday in June. I need birthday ideas for what to do? I want something different, not the usual theme parties, etc.

By Linda

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

When my husband turned '60', on the invitation we wrote: In lieu of gifts, please bring any type or amount of pet food, treats or litter, which will be donated to the local humane society in my husband's name.

We were overwhelmed with the generosity of our family and friends 'gifts'. When we dropped off the 'booty' to the shelter, the staff was shocked and grateful for the items. My husband was so proud to do this - being a life-long animal lover.

The total of food, treats and litter donated: 265 pounds! It was awesome! My husband even received a Thank You note from the shelter, signed by all the staff and volunteers.

Anonymous

I am also 50 in June, and I am celebrating by reliving my childhood parties with all the childhood games. Pass the parcel, musical chairs, pin the tail on the ???? . I'm still young at heart, and I'm proving it. Have fun

My husband is turning 50 and I want to throw him a surprise party, but he hates being reminded he is turning another year older. I am trying to think of a creative theme that does not involve a number associated with the celebration. I would love to hear your ideas.

By JLKK

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

Why not a celebration of life. Find a way to represent all his accomplishments and all the things he loves. Don't forget to remind him of all the things you love about him, too. You could have a journal for his friends and family to write down a special memory of time with him. I'm sure you can come up with more ideas if you have a direction to go. Good Luck.

Jen in PA

Best Answer

Just like what I did with my husband's 50th birthday instead of using numbers. I made a big poster or tarpauline greetings which says ... "Hubby turns Gold!" and included with it, I have chosen a best picture of him.

I need creative, thrifty ideas for a 50th birthday celebration to make it a success by November 28, of this year.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I always tell people about fake newspapers. You can order them from several sources. They are fun as you can use the events of ones life as headlines and stories. Here is a link to several others and what they often look like.

https://www.goo  HXy1Bp4Q_AUIBigB

One of the fun things about special occasions, Aggie, is anticipation. Why not invite your favourite people to help with ideas and planning? If it's your b'day, they'll know what you like best in terms of activities (going for dinner or cooking at home, for example).

If the b'day child is someone else, why not get that person involved in planning?

Have fun!

My 5 year wedding birthday is also the day of my 50th birthday. I want to celebrate them together. I want to rent a banquet hall or pavilion for the celebration. I'm at a loss as to what I should call it. I am a 3 year cancer survivor and want to share this occasion with family members and close friends about 60 people. I would like to have a elegant setting with a color theme of gold for 5o years old, sapphire which is my birthstone and is also the color that marks the 5 year anniversary. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should call the event? Thank you.

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Anonymous

i am going to be 50years old. sept 16 2016. i am. happy. to. see 50. it will be. so much. fun.

Anonymous

Happy times ! A celebration of life !!

Of friends . Family and future health and happiness !

Today is my mom's birthday and I'm at school asking friends on what to do. My mom loves birthday parties; she plans one for me all the time, but my dad said she can't plan her own. She loves animals, but I already drew her favorite animal on a card. She always works hard and helps me with everything even when I don't deserve it. What should my dad and I do?

By Kaitlin

Best Answer

Spoil her. Take her to dinner, or cook and clean up dinner at home. Give her a back rub, spend some time with her. My kids still (even as teens) make me coupons for car clean outs, cookies, back rubs, foot rubs and such that I can cash in during the year.

Maybe a gift in honor of her birthday to a local animal shelter. You have made her card which she will love.

A pin or earrings with her favorite animal.

I know of a lady who I only know on Facebook and would like to surprise her with a unique 50th birthday party. Her favorite color is black she suffers, like me, from fibromyalgia and spinal illness which causes chronic pain due to this illness. Many family and friends often don't understand so they tend not to extend invites to social gatherings, because weather plays a bad roll on how we suffer. However her birthday is in August and summer is a great time because the warm weather helps our body pain. I know she wants a horse and carriage ride, wants to let go of 50 balloons, and she loves the color black. She is a lovely soul and cares for anyone. She loves life and has a great sense of humor. I need help! Please.

I would like suggestions on things to surprise this person. Any suggestions to help make her day worth remembering? And any ways to be just a little mean. Funny sayings also would help.

Thanks.

By Barbara

I have a suggestion why not chuck a surprise party for her with all her friends and family.

Here's another cool idea I pop in when people ask what to get people...give them a fake newspaper.

This link is just one of many when you google "fake newspapers".

http://www.simp  ewspaper-covers/

It's nice to make up cool stories about how someone saved the day or how much better the world is with them in it...things like that. If the recipient loves to frame things, buy two, then they will have that option on both sides.

I think this is so very special and unusual that it will be the hit of the event!

What ideas can anyone suggest? I am having a 50th birthday party in a couple weeks, but unfortunately my parents could not afford to have photos taken when I was younger, and I seem to always be behind the camera, so there are very few photos to show. What can I do instead of having photos to show on the day?

By Glenys

Have some fake newspapers made and make up or use real stories about your lives. There are many to choose from if you google "fake news papers". If you can only afford two however, do get two. That way you can frame the fronts and backs. I hope this helps.

My husband is turning 50 on December 17. I don't have much money but I would like to do something special for him. We don't have many friends to invite to the party, but I would still like to make that day special for him. Any ideas?

By ashleemartin1211 from Tulsa, OK

I am planning my husband's 50th birthday party in February, but I'm having a hard time coming up with an original idea. He is a chef by profession. I would greatly appreciate ideas for centerpieces and other decorations. Thanks in advance.

By Latisha

I would like ideas for a 50 birthday party for my mom, its going to be next month and would like ideas like for centerpieces, food and drinks.

Thank you,

Lily

Let's see...your mom was born in 1955? I did a 50's party for my girlfriend 3 years ago. We had a riot. I met her at the door with a wheel chair! "Old people" might have that "big one" if too shocked by such a surprise party. I was dressed in a borrowed nurse's white dress and cap. I wore a stethascope around my neck too. I wheeled her into the room with all the guests hidden cheering "Happy Birthday". I had bought CD's of the 50's music for the right atmosphere. I had a pink felt, poodle skirt that was pinned to the wall as a backdrop for the cake. We served the foods that our teenage parties always served.....sloppy joes, chips, and colas. Everyone brought a gag gift. Jelly beans in a jar were pills for various medical needs, polygrip, hemorroid cream, etc.

What about a "Back in Time" theme and just decorate with things from when they were young. Get games about news and headlines back when they were a teenager and have people guess on that I'm about to throw my mom a 50th surprise party where i work and were doing like a mix between over the hill and memories.

I need games for a ladies 50th Birthday Luncheon held at my mom's home on June 24th. The party is for my sister.

Catherine from HUntington Beach, CA

Ok, here's a fun one and it'll get everyone interacting with each other. Get notecards and put the names of famous people (or infamous, the funnier the better) on them. When each guest arrives, you pin one to their back, and they have to circulate the room asking everyone questions about who they "are", but only questions that can be answered by YES or NO. Use names like AnnaNicole Smith, Oprah, barbara Walters, etc, names that the age group would be somewhat familiar with. You don't want them too easy, but not too difficult either. It really is alot of fun, and gets strangers talking and laughing with each other.

When I turned the big 5-0, my sister did something for my birthday that was very exciting. For this occasion, I received a large box in the mail. When I opened the box, I found not one or two large gifts, but rather 50, yes 50, much smaller, wrapped gifts. I was surprised to say the least. The gifts were not expensive by any means, but it was so much fun to open all the little ones. She made me feel very special. I thought this would be a great idea to pass on.

By Marie from West Dundee

That was a very thoughtful gift from you sister! I think I might use that idea for my daughter's next birthday. She's turning 10. We'll be giving some larger gifts but to do a box with 10 small things would be a neat idea.

My wife has organized the gathering of folks for my 50th birthday but has drawn a blank for how to make it interesting in a semi-dignified way. I've read the ideas here and have spun off from them these thoughts:

1. Get jars or containers and stick 50 of the same thing in each of them. However, in many of them, you could have gift cards. As people leave, you could give them one of these containers thereby a) assuring yourself of getting rid of them by night's end and b) giving people a chance to win something.

2. Make a list of things you've done in your life along with a few lies. People have to talk to each other and compare notes about what they know of you. Make each person's card different. Not hard to do if you do it in Excel, a little more work in Word. People have to submit their cards when they have written for all the items on their card whether the items were lies or truth. Prize awarded at some point. Downside is there is a bit of time involved checking people's cards but I'm just presenting the concept, details have to be figured out.

My work made me a poster which said "I use to like antiques, but now I'm one". They also wore the same color of clothes. Even my students got into the groove. It was different, but I liked it.

Any suggestions on my finance's 50th birthday in September?

By JB from Cincinnati

Answers:

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

Have a 1960's party. Decorations, costumes, music, refreshments. Just the way a party would have been done the year he was born. (09/17/2010)

By Suntydt

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

My husband wears plaid shirts all the time flannel, cotton whatever, so for his 50th everyone was asked to wear some type of plaid shirt, pants what ever they had, We had a really good laugh! (09/17/2010)

By sunspot

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

http://www.google.com/search?hl=enandq=fake+newspapersandaq=fandoq=

Doing a fake newspaper is so much fun. This is the google link to dozens of sites. Make up your own stories and blend them with the things that happened that day!

If you can, make sure to get two. That way, they can frame each side without losing the "news." (09/20/2010)

By Poor But Proud

RE: Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

For my husband's 50th, I typed up a list of "50 things I Love About You." I wrote about happy memories, things he did for me, his character, when I've been proud of him, etc. Then I cut up the list and hid each strip of paper all over the house (make sure you number the list, so you'll know when he finds all 50). I taped one to his beer in the fridge. I taped one on the lawnmower. I put one inside his work shoes. They were everywhere! It took him over a week to find all 50! It was so much fun and he felt so good reading all those kind things about himself. Have fun! (09/21/2010)

By PainterLee

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

My best friend of 46 years is turning fifty in January. I'm having a huge sleepover with girlfriends from high school, church, elementary school, neighbors, etc. We will be sharing appetizers, chocolate, wine, beer and soda. Playing Wii Dance Party, pictionary, pool, fooseball, chatting about the good old days etc. We will have a big fondue donut breakfast in the A.M. then all go out to the outlet mall to shop post Christmas sales. I bought awesome "purse" ornaments at Nordstrom's as take home gifts too. Best of all no kids or husbands for 24 hours. (12/24/2010)

By ardenlinh

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

Here's my take on a 50th Surprise Birthday Party: Invite the party boy or girl to your house. Using garden stakes, create a timeline along the path to your front door noting 10 (1 for every 5 years) special moments in his or her life. The timeline will give the person a sense that something is up, but won't give them enough time to bolt. When you answer the knock at the door, be sure to hold up the last garden stake with the date and "So and so's Surprise Birthday Party!" written on it. It's fun to keep the garden stakes, and even use them in the garden. (12/26/2010)

By BirthdayPartyBabble.com

RE: Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

I would like some unique idea's for a man's 50th Birthday. I don't want to have the usual over the hill black balloons etc. Something a little more cheery is what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

Thanks

Scooter from TX

Answers:

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

What about rock and roll night, with everyone dressing up. You could also serve food to match. (02/12/2005)

By marsbar

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

This is in response to the request for fresh 50th Birthday ideas.
One year the wife of a friend had a 50th birthday party for her husband. We wanted to give an unusual gift. We brought some fresh grapes and a bottle of olive oil as our gift to the husband. We also presented him with a tape which all the guests listened to. It was the comedic story of Dionysus and his love of wine and women and how things changed as he got older. We laughed so hard, we cried! You could put this in the context of a wine and cheese party and celebrate all the good things about aging.

Brejean from NB, Canada (02/12/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

When my brother turned 50, we had an "Over the Mountain" party. We printed mountain banners from the computer, and made a camping scene in the corner of the room, with sleeping bags, lanterns, and a fake campfire. We invited the guests to dress in hiking clothes, with backpacks and hiking sticks. Centerpieces were bandannas and mess kits, cans of beans, mountain pie irons, etc. Everyone loved it, and we got tons of great comments! It's a very masculine theme, and a lot more upbeat than the "over the hill" idea. (02/12/2005)

By zballoongirl

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

Something we've done is given that person 50 (60, 70, 80... whatever age!) items to celebrate each year. For our friend who turned 50, we gave her 50 "old person" items bought at the dollar store, gotten for free or "recycled". This included things like big pill boxes, Depends, fiber, etc. We screamed with laughter at each opening. (02/12/2005)

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

What about a 50s party as in 1950s. The 50s had great music and everyone could dress in poodle skirts and leather jackets, a sock hop type thing. (02/14/2005)

By austin95mom

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

We through a party for my mom's 50th with a Flashback party. We researched events that took place the year before (whilst in womb), the year of, and the year after her birth. We found items that fit, record albums from the thrift store, hula hoops, saddle shoes, but also items that were important to history and politics and science. We used the items as centerpieces on the tables and we placed cards underneath each item and we played trivial pursuit (shout out version) as a group. Which was enormous fun. We only played relevant music and we even learned the older dance moves and taught the guests. We had period items of clothes around and everyone truly got into the spirit. My mother cried at the end of the night and said that besides the birth of her children she had never felt so loved and cared for. That's about the highest praise any daughter could hope for. Good luck. (02/14/2005)

By Suzanne S.

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

How about "50 Years Young"? or "Aged to Perfection"? Both of those are upbeat themes. Maybe do a collage of photos of his life, include school photos, military pictures, wedding photos, old drivers licenses, and the cars he once owned. (02/14/2005)

By Cheryl from MO

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

Start with 50 pennies, then 50 nickels, then 50 dimes, then 50 quarters, then 50 1/2 dollars, then 50 $1.00 bills. Give them on consecutive days with the 50 $1.00 bills being on the actual birthday. (04/05/2005)

By Ken

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

How about a 50 and Fabulous or 50 and Fantastic party? (04/09/2005)

By Toni K.

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

My little sister gave me a great 50th gift. First she helped my daughter print up and frame a plaque listing 50 reasons I love my mom, then she hand painted 4 wine glasses with different designs and all having the number 50 on them somewhere, and finally she gave me a jar filled with tiny handmade envelopes containing messages with 50 happy thoughts for me. I love my little sis! (08/19/2008)

By jendayi

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

My wife was thrilled with her 50th birthday gifts. I gave her a gift each day for 50 days leading up to her birthday. They were mostly small things with a few larger ones thrown in. The last was a spa day. Believe it or not, it is not the easiest thing to do, gather up 50 gifts, that is. (09/22/2008)

By Jeff