Browsing: Uses for Coffee Grounds

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Coffee Grounds

Used coffee grounds have a number of uses around the house. This guide contains recycling used coffee grounds.

ground coffee
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 14, 2011 Flag

Used coffee grounds are one way to destroy medication. Put coffee grounds and pills in plastic bag, and pour enough water in bag to cover them. Zip up bag and mix well. In just a short time, they will be gone.

Source: I got this tip from a nurse.

By Pudell from Benton Harbor, MI

August 2, 2011 Flag

After making coffee, let the grounds dry then put them into a new filter, a thin fabric bag, socks, or stockings. Secure with thread or staples. Put these coffee bags inside your shoes, in closets, and shelves. They work really well as deodorizers. My family has been doing this forever!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

October 29, 2010 Flag

Odors in the fridge or freezer will be gone overnight if you place a dish of used coffee grounds in a bowl and place it in the center of the refrigerator/freezer. It works better then baking soda!

By DCW816 from Hampton, TN

July 26, 2010 Flag

Here's a great way to use coffee grounds once you have made coffee. Dump your used coffee grounds into a container and keep, open, in the refrigerator. The used grounds make your fridge smell like coffee and absorbs all the unwanted odors at the same time.

September 24, 2010 Flag

Used coffee grounds are a great, free fertilizer in your garden. Roses and acid-loving plants love it. Starbucks will give them to you free!

November 2, 2015 Flag

I am chemical sensitive to perfumes, cigarettes, gasoline, etc. Sometimes we have guests come over with high perfume scents and when they leave the scent does not.

August 27, 2011 Flag

This was one of the most interesting experiments I ever did before with my shoes and boots. I got curious one day. I kept buying foot powder that was too expensive and would cause allergic reactions to my skin, even if I'm wearing socks.

February 5, 2011 Flag

What is the best use for used coffee grounds?

By Marie from NJ

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Roses also love coffee grounds. Add crushed egg shells and this will keep many crawling things you don't want on your roses out. If you need to feed your roses add both close to the plants and under the surface. You can mix coffee grounds with planting mix and improve growth and blooms.

1. Use dried grounds in pin cushions to keep them from rusting.

2. For stubborn grease and stains on pots and pans, coffee grounds really get in there and do the job.

3. Chocolate cake flavorer: Used grounds and fresh grounds both give a little kick to chocolate baked goods, including brownies.

4. Use a mix of coffee grounds and water to dye clothing, paper, or even Easter eggs.

5. An egg white mixed with 1/4 cup grounds makes a great exfoliating face mask.

Read More Answers...

March 5, 2008 Flag

After I've sprinkled my used coffee grounds around my plants and fruit trees, I rinse off the coffee filter and dry it on my dish drainer.

November 19, 2008 Flag

Here is yet another way to recycle up your used coffee grounds. Fill a pin cushion with them! Use cute scraps of fabric and simply sew together right sides together leaving a small space open.

March 20, 2009 Flag

When using coffee grounds to get rid of kerosene or gas smell, do you use ground coffee or used coffee grounds?. Many thanks.

John from Whitehorse, Yukon Territory

When I used coffee grounds to get out smells, I used the fresh grounds. I don't know if used ones would work as well. I do not know if they would work on Kerosene which is a pretty strong odor. I put a dish in an antique cupboard to get out the stale smell. I had to do it several times. I also used them to remove mothball smell from a camper trailer closet. I used dishes of baking soda at the same time.

October 15, 2007 Flag

For a quick, cheap facial scrub: Take your cooled down coffee grounds and scrub your face gently with them. The grounds will slough off dead skin cells, and the caffeine will "wake up" your skin.

September 28, 2012 Flag

After our family returned to the Pacific Northwest from an extended working vacation, our home smelled of mold. I found myself washing all of the clothes in my drawers and called my mother for advice. She told me to put coffee grounds (not instant), in small cups or bowls inside of each drawer.

June 24, 2005 Flag

I save all used coffee grounds and fruit & veggie waste (peels, etc.) and lightly dig them in in my flower beds and around shrubs and trees. My plants have huge blooms year-round (I live in Florida) and vibrant coloring.

June 9, 2000 Flag

Is this an old wives tale or true? Do coffee grounds down your sink really help clean it out of fat and grime?

November 21, 2006 Flag

Grass is growing! Hooray! I've finally got the most beautiful green grass where there was almost no grass, thanks to all those used coffee grounds I put out last month!

Load More
Better Living Green Living ReusingFebruary 22, 2012
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Coffee Beans
Cleaning With Coffee
ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 11:32:06 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.