Uses for Coffee Grounds

Used coffee grounds have a number of uses around the house. This guide contains recycling used coffee grounds.

ground coffee
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Used coffee grounds are one way to destroy medication. Put coffee grounds and pills in plastic bag, and pour enough water in bag to cover them. Zip up bag and mix well. In just a short time, they will be gone.

Source: I got this tip from a nurse.

By Pudell from Benton Harbor, MI

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

After making coffee, let the grounds dry then put them into a new filter, a thin fabric bag, socks, or stockings. Secure with thread or staples. Put these coffee bags inside your shoes, in closets, and shelves. They work really well as deodorizers. My family has been doing this forever!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Odors in the fridge or freezer will be gone overnight if you place a dish of used coffee grounds in a bowl and place it in the center of the refrigerator/freezer. It works better then baking soda!

By DCW816 from Hampton, TN

Here's a great way to use coffee grounds once you have made coffee. Dump your used coffee grounds into a container and keep, open, in the refrigerator. The used grounds make your fridge smell like coffee and absorbs all the unwanted odors at the same time.

When the container gets full, dump them around your azaleas. They have just what it takes to perk them up and get them going again, make a nice, rich looking mulch, and hold some moisture for the plants as well. The best fact of all is that they repel mosquitoes at the same time and are biodegradable while enriching your soil. So, go have a nice, hot cuppa coffee and start going green!

Source: A friend told me about this. I tried it, and it does all the things listed above!

By Jacketbacker from Greer, SC

I am chemical sensitive to perfumes, cigarettes, gasoline, etc. Sometimes we have guests come over with high perfume scents and when they leave the scent does not.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Used coffee grounds are a great, free fertilizer in your garden. Roses and acid-loving plants love it. Starbucks will give them to you free!

This was one of the most interesting experiments I ever did before with my shoes and boots. I got curious one day. I kept buying foot powder that was too expensive and would cause allergic reactions to my skin, even if I'm wearing socks.

What is the best use for used coffee grounds?

By Marie from NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

1. Use dried grounds in pin cushions to keep them from rusting.

2. For stubborn grease and stains on pots and pans, coffee grounds really get in there and do the job.

3. Chocolate cake flavorer: Used grounds and fresh grounds both give a little kick to chocolate baked goods, including brownies.

4. Use a mix of coffee grounds and water to dye clothing, paper, or even Easter eggs.

5. An egg white mixed with 1/4 cup grounds makes a great exfoliating face mask.

Read More Answers...

After I've sprinkled my used coffee grounds around my plants and fruit trees, I rinse off the coffee filter and dry it on my dish drainer.

Here is yet another way to recycle up your used coffee grounds. Fill a pin cushion with them! Use cute scraps of fabric and simply sew together right sides together leaving a small space open.

After our family returned to the Pacific Northwest from an extended working vacation, our home smelled of mold. I found myself washing all of the clothes in my drawers and called my mother for advice. She told me to put coffee grounds (not instant), in small cups or bowls inside of each drawer.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For a quick, cheap facial scrub: Take your cooled down coffee grounds and scrub your face gently with them. The grounds will slough off dead skin cells, and the caffeine will "wake up" your skin.

I save all used coffee grounds and fruit & veggie waste (peels, etc.) and lightly dig them in in my flower beds and around shrubs and trees. My plants have huge blooms year-round (I live in Florida) and vibrant coloring.

Is this an old wives tale or true? Do coffee grounds down your sink really help clean it out of fat and grime?

By Kathy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Tell me how exactly putting garbage down your drain will do anything other than clog it. Come on people, please use common sense. Use your coffee grounds for compost or as a last resort, take them out with the trash.

Read More Answers...

When using coffee grounds to get rid of kerosene or gas smell, do you use ground coffee or used coffee grounds?. Many thanks.

John from Whitehorse, Yukon Territory

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I used coffee grounds to get out smells, I used the fresh grounds. I don't know if used ones would work as well. I do not know if they would work on Kerosene which is a pretty strong odor. I put a dish in an antique cupboard to get out the stale smell. I had to do it several times. I also used them to remove mothball smell from a camper trailer closet. I used dishes of baking soda at the same time.

Grass is growing! Hooray! I've finally got the most beautiful green grass where there was almost no grass, thanks to all those used coffee grounds I put out last month!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have read what to do with left over coffee, what about leftover coffee grinds? Thanks.

By Lisa from Providence, RI

Uses for Coffee Grounds

There are crafts (like dough crafts) which use coffee grounds. You can use some on your hands and hair and the oils in them will soften (condition) your hands and hair. It makes nice "mulch" for potted plants and soil. (10/26/2010)

By thriftyvicki

Uses for Coffee Grounds

They are great for keeping your disposal blades sharp, along with some lemon juice or orange peels, not too many mind you.

Good Luck! (10/28/2010)

By Poor But Proud

Uses for Coffee Grounds

My dad used them to keep the dust down while sweeping the carpentry shop. (10/28/2010)

By siris

Uses for Coffee Grounds

Great article. I've been building a site dedicated to how to best use coffee grounds in the garden. Check out my blog if you want to learn how easy it all is: http://groundtoground.org. (11/01/2010)

By sgenziuk

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can usually use coffee grounds twice. If the second pot of coffee is not as strong as you would like, add a little cocoa for a nice mocha coffee. Keep the coffee grounds and allow to dry completely.

The grounds can be used to deodorize the refrigerator and microwave. For the refrigerator, place a container with a few holes poked in it. For the microwave, place the grounds on a plate, close the door and zap for 1 minute. Coffee grounds are good for preventing freezer odors too. You can also use the coffee grounds to exfoliate your face, elbows, knees, and feet.

Use to deter ants. Just sprinkle around the perimeter of your house. If you need fishing worms, just work coffee grounds into the topsoil. The worms come to the surface. When cleaning fireplaces and garages, sprinkle coffee grounds to limit the dust.

For kid's crafts mix 1 cup dried coffee grounds with 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup salt, and 1/4 cup sand. Slowly add 3/4 cup water until you have the consistency of bread dough. It looks like a brown rock if you let it dry for two or three days. It would make a nice place to hide a spare key if you didn't have a container. Just cover the key with the mixture and allow to dry completely. If it isn't completely dry, it will peel. When dry, the fake rock can easily be broken in half to reveal the key.

Source: my grandparents

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I want to find again any information regarding the use of coffee beans for the bad odor in closets. Please send me that information again. Thanks.

By Ileana from Luquillo, PR

Using Coffee Grounds to Remove Odors in the Closet

I don't know about the coffee, but I do know you can remove musty odors by taking new, clean and cheap clay-based cat litter and pouring it into the leg of a pantyhose then tying it on to a hanger or setting it on a shelf. It's supposed to suck up moisture. This tip was originally for a musty car trunk, but would work for a closet too.

I spray Febreze on to my clothes in my closet to remove odors. I use the vanilla scent because it's light and fresh and not strong or floral. You can use the Febreze made for fabrics OR the kind made for air freshener. You can also set tiny cups of vinegar in your closet. Just put the vinegar into a bottle or a jar with a lid and fill the jar less than half way with vinegar (any kind) then poke holes in the top of the jar. (06/24/2009)

By Cyinda

Just place coffee beans in an open container and place it on a shelf or on the floor in a corner. It does make an area smell good and I happen to love the aroma of coffee ;-) Coffee beans are also good to use when smelling more than one perfume at a time when shopping for a new scent because smelling the beans in between each new 'test' clears/neutralizes your sniffer ;-)

I was going to suggest vinegar for the closet, too :-) (06/24/2009)

By Deeli

Actually, I thought it was ground coffee...not instant, but the regular ground up coffee. The beans don't have as pungent of smell. I have tried the dish of vinegar before after someone came to visit and smoked in my house. It worked amazingly well. (06/24/2009)

By themuffster

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know what to do with used coffee grounds from my filter machine? Not sure, but I think you can use them. dried, to unblock a sink. Any other environmentally friendly ideas please?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Better Living Green Living ReusingFebruary 22, 2012
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Coffee Beans
Cleaning With Coffee
ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 11:03:48 PM on 10.0.1.167 in 292 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.