Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Carpet Remnants

Whether you have your own remnants from a carpeting project or find a great deal, there are ways to use these carpet pieces. This guide contains uses for carpet remnants.

July 20, 2009 Flag

Affordable carpet remnants can be found at thrift stores and carpet discount outlets; however, it's extraordinarily expensive to have a carpet bound with carpet binding. It cost anywhere from $300 to $500 to have a large remnant bound professionally. I came up with this handy and functional idea that's not only cheap, it's highly durable as well.

Plain or colored burlap can be purchased for around $1 or less per yard. Calculate the amount you'll need by measuring all sides of carpet remnant. Give yourself some extra yardage for "oopsies". Cut strips of burlap that will fold both over and under the sides of the carpet. Secure with hot glue. (I used a commercial grade glue gun). You'll have a professional look for mere pennies.

If the burlap starts to separate from carpet, simply glue back in place. A commercial grade glue gun prevents this altogether and creates a permanent bond.

By April from Albany, GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I often use carpet scraps for cat scratching posts. This idea will help make them last longer. Excellent. Thank you

September 6, 2007 Flag

I found this berber carpet remnant (13 feet x 17 feet) at our local Habitat Thrift Store. I only paid $30 for it and it was brand new! Most Habitat resale stores will carry home improvement deals left over from housing projects. The cost to buy this size rug would have cost me about $500. Instead, I bought about 8 yards of burlap from Joann's that happened to be on sale for $1.99 per yard. I sewed the burlap into strips and folded them around the edges, securing with a commercial glue gun. All for a finished product of $50! Nothing is impossible if you're willing to think outside the box!

By April from Albany, Georgia

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is just a great idea. And if you have an older carpet with frayed edges, I bet you could trim it, do the burlap-and-glue-gun thing, and make it look almost new again.

July 20, 2009 Flag

How can I bind my carpet remnants myself?

Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Answers:

Binding Carpet Remnants

I ve heard that some people use heavy weigh fishing line and a hook needle to do this. You would have to have very strong hands to pull it through and make it stay tight. When I worked at a floor store, we had to send them out because tt takes a very powerful machine to do this. There is this link that may help or you could check local floor covering stores to see if they offer something similar

http://www.instabind.com/ (11/14/2006)

By Brenda from Texas

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

About 6 years ago I bound a 'temporary' (haha) runner with black duct-tape around all 4 edges. It is a low-pile brown carpet. I had intentions to get a 'real' runner when it wore out. Well, it's still looking great, even with heavy foot traffic in our laundry room.

July 20, 2009 Flag

How do you hand bind carpet remnants? We just got new wall to wall installed and I would like to bind some remnants for area rugs.

Joyce from Danville, NH

Answers:

How do you hand bind carpet remnants?

I did this with berber carpeting so I don't know if longer carpeting would work. I simply took biased tape and hot glued it to the back side and then to the front.. I did this for a runner on our up-stair's steps (all bedrooms are upstairs). We are a family of six and in 2 years we have not had a problem.

Hope this helps. (10/05/2006)

By Mommy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Home Improvement CarpetOctober 13, 2012
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Storing Carpet Remnants
Storing Carpet Remnants
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 9:43:25 PM on 10.0.0.146 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.