Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Uses for Carpet Remnants

Uses for Carpet Remnants

Whether you have your own remnants from a carpeting project or find a great deal, there are ways to use these carpet pieces. This guide contains uses for carpet remnants.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Binding Carpet Remnants

Binding Carpet RemnantsAffordable carpet remnants can be found at thrift stores and carpet discount outlets; however, it's extraordinarily expensive to have a carpet bound with carpet binding. It cost anywhere from $300 to $500 to have a large remnant bound professionally. I came up with this handy and functional idea that's not only cheap, it's highly durable as well.

Plain or colored burlap can be purchased for around $1 or less per yard. Calculate the amount you'll need by measuring all sides of carpet remnant. Give yourself some extra yardage for "oopsies". Cut strips of burlap that will fold both over and under the sides of the carpet. Secure with hot glue. (I used a commercial grade glue gun). You'll have a professional look for mere pennies.

If the burlap starts to separate from carpet, simply glue back in place. A commercial grade glue gun prevents this altogether and creates a permanent bond.

By April from Albany, GA

Tip: Berber Carpet Remnants

Berber Carpet RemnantsI found this berber carpet remnant (13 feet x 17 feet) at our local Habitat Thrift Store. I only paid $30 for it and it was brand new! Most Habitat resale stores will carry home improvement deals left over from housing projects. The cost to buy this size rug would have cost me about $500. Instead, I bought about 8 yards of burlap from Joann's that happened to be on sale for $1.99 per yard. I sewed the burlap into strips and folded them around the edges, securing with a commercial glue gun. All for a finished product of $50! Nothing is impossible if you're willing to think outside the box! Berber Carpet Remnants

By April from Albany, Georgia

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: How Do You Hand Bind Carpet Remnants?

How do you hand bind carpet remnants? We just got new wall to wall installed and I would like to bind some remnants for area rugs.

Joyce from Danville, NH

RE: How do you hand bind carpet remnants?

I did this with berber carpeting so I don't know if longer carpeting would work. I simply took biased tape and hot glued it to the back side and then to the front.. I did this for a runner on our up-stair's steps (all bedrooms are upstairs). We are a family of six and in 2 years we have not had a problem.

Hope this helps. (10/05/2006)

By Mommy

Archive: Binding Carpet Remnants

How can I bind my carpet remnants myself?

Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

RE: Binding Carpet Remnants

I ve heard that some people use heavy weigh fishing line and a hook needle to do this. You would have to have very strong hands to pull it through and make it stay tight. When I worked at a floor store, we had to send them out because tt takes a very powerful machine to do this. There is this link that may help or you could check local floor covering stores to see if they offer something similar http://www.instabind.com/ (11/14/2006)

By Brenda from Texas