Reusing Tins

Category Reusing
If you have a lot of empty cookie or packaging tins lying about the house, consider reusing them. This is a guide about reusing tins.

Keep flour, sugar, and any other imaginable dry goods in these attractive collectible tins. They can be found at yard sales, Goodwill, and eBay.

Though I'm not certain they will safeguard your foodstuffs against moths and such pests, they will most certainly prevent rodents.

This is also nice if for some reason you don't have a lot of cupboard or storage space.

Even better? Find someone who works in a commercial kitchen and ask them to save the big jars for you. Sauerkraut, pickles and all kinds of things come in those big jars. The advantage? You can tell at a glance how much flour you have left or if you need to add it to your grocery list. I use them pretty much exclusively, and yes, they're all out in the open. Looks pretty great, I think, and yes, the jars keep bugs at bay.

I save the tins with cute, vintage looking graphics after cleaning out my cupboards to make desk sets and refrigerator magnets! After cleaning them out, I can either add a strip of magnetic tape to the back of them to hold my roll of stamps, pens and post-it notes or just place them on my writing desk. The tins would make a cute gift too, perhaps for Mothers Day.

I also make refrigerator magnets out of business cards, postcards or brochures I pick up on vacations as cheap mementos.

All your ideas in this post are nice, but I particularly like making refrigerator magnets from post cards. Now that's style!

A cookie tin filled with cookies.

This is a guide about uses for cookie tins. These handy containers are often very decorative as they are, or can be dressed up and reused for a variety of things.

A cookie tin with butter cookies.

This is a guide about crafts made with cookie tins. If you are trying to decide what to do with all of your holiday cookie tins, here are some ideas.

Photo of Stack O' Cans

I recently moved from a larger to a smaller apartment. I love the decorator tins I get from thrift shops. They are an essential part of my kitchen/dining room decor, but this time, I had only enough room for one of them.

Popcorn Tin Filled with Four Types of Popcorn

uide contains uses for popcorn tins. Once you have finished eating the tasty popcorn in one of the decorative tins, repurpose it. This g

I received a variety of teas in small tea tins for Christmas last year. I enjoyed the tea tremendously, now I have 8-10 small tins that I would like to "recycle" into a craft item.

Any suggestions?

JOSE from Tennessee

Little windchimes would be cute. Just take a tiny nail & hammer and punch one hole in the lids center then in the bottom of the can punch 3-4 holes in differant places.For the chimes you could use wooden dowl rods cut to seperate lenghts or use spoons or forks.Drill holes through whatever chime choice you pick.Run fishing line through the chimes leaving it long enough on each one to run up through the bottom lid and the top lid then close the tin set.Gather all lines together at the top tie a loop for hanging. I always use my old chimes from windchimes that are old and need revamping.Also many found in yard sales. Can also use them for candles that close with the lid. Just use your already exsisting candles that have been used some.The little votives or tappered candles work great.And you will already have your scent & color by reusing them.Just Take an old pot and melt them slowly on the stove pour into your tea tin bottom & add a wick in the center and let set.Can set fast by placing in the freezer. I use the tiny tealight candles for getting my wicks. They simply pop out of the cups and pull your wick out of the bottom even drop that teacandle wax into your pot after all have melted pour into your tin and reuse that wick you pulled from the teacandle. You could even give them out as gifts.

You could make travel sized sewing kits to give as gifts. Wrap black and white thread around a piece of cardboard then put a needle in it. Include some buttons and, if it will fit, some travel scissors or snips that you can find at the craft stores. Look in a kit at the store for more items to include if you have more room. I have done this myself with a little tea tin and I keep it in the glove compartment of the car!

Hello, Just like yourself I had some Tea tins given as pressents to me a few years back not wanting to throw them away i painted them with enamel paint in various colours and made flower paterns on them filled them with wrapped candies and put a ribbon around the tins and gave them away as pressents, christmas is coming you can put any design you want to on them for any occasion. Annie

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

In the past, I've used zip closed bags to store things like powdered sugar, dry pasta, or bread crumbs, but it recently occurred to me that I have accumulated several (various sized) metal tins that are sitting empty in my pantry. Why not re-purpose them instead of buying more and more zip closure bags? So, yesterday I emptied my bag of powdered sugar into an old upright cylindrical cookie tin. I put a label on it so it's easy to see what's inside. It's so much easier to dip into a tin to measure out a portion than sticking my hand in a 'dusty' powdered sugar bag.

This opens up a whole new set of ideas when it comes to storage. Even if it's not for food, what can you be reusing for storage that you already have in your home?

By webduck from Port Orchard, WA

Reusing Tins

Comment Like this photo? 6

Hubby's starting to catch on to this idea. When we had a industrial-size can of fruit cocktail and no idea what to put it in (we were fresh out of empty plastic butter tubs.) Then he remembered the empty, washed coffee tin. The fruit cocktail fit perfectly and into the fridge it went!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

By Marianne

I have bunches of tins of all sizes and shapes. Recently, I've accumulated a lot of Altoids tins and now some CD tins that AOL has been sending out. How do you use tins? (In your answer, please state the type of tin you are using.)

Answers:

Using Tins

For larger tins such as old cookie sheets or a can that cookies came in, place them in your BBQ grill for the charcoal. Replace the tins that have burnt holes in them from cooked charcoal instead of buying a new grill because the bottom of the grill shouldn't be affected. I use smaller tins to store bobby pins, straight pins, buttons, paper clips, and other odds and ends around the house. (09/16/2002)

By Tracy

Altoid Tins, Candy Tins and Peanut Cans and more

About the tins.The little altoids tins would probably be great for screws,nails, buttons, paper clips and even in the car to hold coins for tolls if you need them. I needed to elevate a shelf under my monitor. I put contact paper that matched the shelf on 4 peanut cans, put plastic lids on the tops and bottoms and put them under the shelf [an old bread board]. I spread them so my keyboard slides underneath. I also use nut cans and things like oatmeal boxes for storage. I know some people cut a small hole on oatmeal box lids and put their yarn inside.It sits wherever you want it. The yarn comes out of the hole and it doesn't get snagged, dirty or as much torn up by cats as it would if it was loose. Mom and I put ours in the plastic bags the newspaper comes in, then if there's different colors they can be put in a bag or a cereal box. By the way, if anybody uses powdered milk the 10 envelope boxes are just right for video tapes. I also use candy tins for jewelry and I just had an idea. Put a small sewing kit in one and put it in your vehicle. Great for emergencies. Orange juice cans covered with contact paper make great pen and pencil holders. (09/16/2002)

By Linne >

Using CD Tins

The CD tins I have painted black and gold veined them (a spray paint that use to be available). Recently, I used one on a small gift box of candy and inside the CD tin, I made a laminated magnet that said, "The Perfect Diet" - Eat everything and lose weight ... just don't swallow! The CD tin was on top of the candy and tied together with a big poofy bow on top. (09/17/2002)

By sydfred

Using Tins

I use all kinds of tins to keep sewing supplies and other things. I use them as kind of a memory aid. I try to get lots of different kinds, toffee and candy tins, small mint tins, etc. I pick them for their distinctive look. That way I can remember what is in it by it's design. The design reminds me it's the duct tape tin or button tin or chocolate chip tin and it makes it much easier for me to find that way. (i.e. the one with yellow flowers has the buttons, the little red altoids box has the safety pins.) I use extras for gift tins and use them instead of gift boxes. Usually you can pick them up for next to nothing at garage sales and thrift stores. I don't know if that kind of thing works for you but it does for me because I can remember what is in it without opening it up. As far as the AOL cds go, they are much sturdier than cd cases. I'm going to spray paint them and give gift cds in them. They are also good for protecting photographs. They also might make a good little traveling jewelry box. - (09/19/2002)

By Marianne

Using Tins

By Marion J.

Using Tins

Hi, I've got one of those bigger tins that 3 kinds of popcorn came in, that I use to take wild bird seed to my bird feeders with. The smaller tins are excellent for storing all kinds of items (just remember what you have in which tin). I know a lady who uses the larger popcorn tins for magazine holders. I have some of the smaller ones setting on top of my kitchen cabinets for decorative purposes. (01/22/2003)

By badwater

CD Using Tins

I helped out with my sons 1st grade recycling project and was hooked I must say! lol

I had enough of those aol cd's and tins, 1st we base coated all the tins, and drilled a small hole in the cds ( for hanging ). Then when we took them to the kids and had them decorate them with all sorts of stuff, from yarn, buttons, fun foam, felt you get the idea! And we took pictures of the kids and that made them cool personalized gift's with a gift box!

This could be done also a bit more elegant, How about a small wedding favor? (ooh, how about a wedding around Christmas? Could be an ornament gift/party favor for a bridal shower/ or a party favor for the tables at the wedding. I made 200 craft stick sled ornaments, personalized with the bride and grooms name and wedding date for party favors... It was a December wedding....that was such a HUGE!!!!! hit! The ideas for the cd tins are endless!) (07/24/2003)

By artsyfartsymom

Using Tins

I use the larger tins for repairing my exhaust pipe on my car. Open both ends. Cut from top to bottom. wrap around the hole / break in you exhaust and fix with hose clamps. These last up to a year, or longer than the rest of the system!

Also the tin can become the front of a model steam train !

(03/29/2005)

By Tricky