Reusing Tins

If you have a lot of empty cookie or packaging tins lying about the house, consider reusing them. This is a guide about reusing tins.

Uses for Cookie Tins
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 12, 2008 Flag

What can I do with those left over cookie\candy tins? I know that there have to be some type of crafting I can do with them but I need ideas!

Sheila from NC

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A few years ago I made some clocks out of the cookie tins. I drilled a hole in the lid to accomodate the clock works purchased at the hobby store. I also drilled a hole in the bottom of the tin so you could hang it on the wall. Attach the numbers on the front with glue and you are good to go. They made wonderful gifts!

Remove the lid,paint the outside(and inside if desired). Collect miniature items and doll furniture(don'f forget the doll or other figures) and make a shadowbox scene to decorate a wall. You can also pad the lid with batting and a pretty fabric and make a giant pincushion. Put all kinds and style of pins inside for the person,s(or your own) use.

I saw an idea and it might have been on Thrifty Fun. Fill the inside with silk flowers or greenery (think a foam block was used) and the tiny white lights. Sort of on the idea of the potpourri jars w/lights, etc. except you'd want the contents upright (thus the foam block). Depending on what kind of tin; whether you would have to change the outside.

I'm not doing a good job of explaining, but maybe you get the idea.

At a garage sale my friend and I purchased some large tins. I keep DVD's tv guide in my as the tin looks good in corner in living room and when some unexpected person shows up I toss any stuff into it. She used hers for tools and odd items.

Read More Answers...

December 23, 2009 Flag

Got some cute cookie tins? Looking for a shortcut to some gift wrapping? I always seem to be running behind and find myself furiously cutting and taping wrapping on Christmas Eve!

Last year I remembered the nice cookie containers I'd received a couple of weeks earlier at our annual cookie exchange. The cookies were in the freezer and the tins were washed and tucked away out of sight. So I took them out of storage and put them to use as "gift boxes" for small items, gift certificates, etc.

It worked out so well that I'm definitely going to use some again this year! The more unusual shapes are great. This year I'm including a star-shaped tin and a tin with a lid that opens like a treasure chest.

Saves paper, tape, and ribbons, puts those pretty cookie tins on display once again, and it's a great way for everybody to recycle them year after year!

By Janet from Howell, MI

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 16, 2007 Flag

I received a variety of teas in small tea tins for Christmas last year. I enjoyed the tea tremendously, now I have 8-10 small tins that I would like to "recycle" into a craft item.

Any suggestions?

JOSE from Tennessee

Little windchimes would be cute. Just take a tiny nail & hammer and punch one hole in the lids center then in the bottom of the can punch 3-4 holes in differant places.For the chimes you could use wooden dowl rods cut to seperate lenghts or use spoons or forks.Drill holes through whatever chime choice you pick.Run fishing line through the chimes leaving it long enough on each one to run up through the bottom lid and the top lid then close the tin set.Gather all lines together at the top tie a loop for hanging. I always use my old chimes from windchimes that are old and need revamping.Also many found in yard sales. Can also use them for candles that close with the lid. Just use your already exsisting candles that have been used some.The little votives or tappered candles work great.And you will already have your scent & color by reusing them.Just Take an old pot and melt them slowly on the stove pour into your tea tin bottom & add a wick in the center and let set.Can set fast by placing in the freezer. I use the tiny tealight candles for getting my wicks. They simply pop out of the cups and pull your wick out of the bottom even drop that teacandle wax into your pot after all have melted pour into your tin and reuse that wick you pulled from the teacandle. You could even give them out as gifts.

You could make travel sized sewing kits to give as gifts. Wrap black and white thread around a piece of cardboard then put a needle in it. Include some buttons and, if it will fit, some travel scissors or snips that you can find at the craft stores. Look in a kit at the store for more items to include if you have more room. I have done this myself with a little tea tin and I keep it in the glove compartment of the car!

Hello, Just like yourself I had some Tea tins given as pressents to me a few years back not wanting to throw them away i painted them with enamel paint in various colours and made flower paterns on them filled them with wrapped candies and put a ribbon around the tins and gave them away as pressents, christmas is coming you can put any design you want to on them for any occasion. Annie

May 23, 2011 Flag

Photo of Stack O' CansI recently moved from a larger to a smaller apartment. I love the decorator tins I get from thrift shops. They are an essential part of my kitchen/dining room decor, but this time, I had only enough room for one of them. So, I decided to stack them. I even have a canister with flowers to "crown the stack". I think they look really cute.

These tins were found in many places, sans the popcorn, and for just .25 each. I love them and this was a way of not keeping them in storage.

Hope that inspires someone! N-JOY!

By Sandi from Salem, OR

October 10, 2008 Flag

With the holidays approaching, its a great time to repurpose those cookie tins. Square and rectangular cookie tins (top and bottom) make great drawer organizers which can be very expensive when bought at the store. They can also be used in tool boxes, in art boxes, for crayons, and for other more "industrial" strength purposes where a regular box might not hold up.

By Amy from Dublin, OH

May 2, 2015 Flag

I save the tins with cute, vintage looking graphics after cleaning out my cupboards to make desk sets and refrigerator magnets! After cleaning them out, I can either add a strip of magnetic tape to the back of them to hold my roll of stamps, pens and post-it notes or just place them on my writing desk. The tins would make a cute gift too, perhaps for Mothers Day.A desk set from old containers.

I also make refrigerator magnets out of business cards, postcards or brochures I pick up on vacations as cheap mementos.

Kitschy Vintage Decorations
    Better Living Green Living ReusingSeptember 30, 2012
    Cookie sheet
    Uses for Old Cookie Sheets
    Game made form an Altoids tin.
    Crafts Made Using Altoids Tins
    Altoids and Other Mint Tins
    Uses for Altoid Candy or Mint Tins
    Raspberry Bar Cookies
    Bar Cookie Recipes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 1:13:14 AM on 10.0.2.141 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.