Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide

Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide
There are many ways peroxide can be used for cleaning and whitening around the house and for personal use. This is a guide about uses for hydrogen peroxide.

Peroxide is cheaper than bleach, healthier for you, and kills bacteria. Check out these options:

Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the bottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out to cure canker sores, and your teeth will be whiter without expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash.

Let your toothbrushes soak in a cup of peroxide to keep them free of germs.

Clean your counters and table tops with peroxide to kill germs and leave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you wipe, or spray it on the counters.

After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour peroxide on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.

Spray a 50/50 mixture on feet with fungus (especially the toes) every night and let dry.

Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five to ten minutes several times a day.

Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and Water and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic system like bleach or other disinfectants will.

When you have a cold, tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your 50/50 mixture. It will bubble and help to kill the bacteria. Hold for a few minutes, and then blow your nose into a tissue.

If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and hold it for ten minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.

Put half a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help get rid of boils, fungus, or other skin infections.

Add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing, pour it directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.

Use peroxide to clean mirrors - no smearing.

It's great is for bathroom clean ups; if someone has been careless and has peed on the floor around the toilet. Just put some peroxide in a spray bottle and spray. Any smell will be gone and the bacteria eliminated!

By bkvander from WI

My Moon (cat) swallowed a large piece of plastic. If your dog or cat has swallowed something too large to pass and you need them to vomit it back up, use hydrogen peroxide. I used a medication injector with about 1 or 2 Tbsp. of hydrogen peroxide, but the amount you should use depends on how big your animal is. You need to get all of the hydrogen peroxide down at once, so squirt it in fast. Repeat and up the dose, if the animal does not vomit within about a minute of giving it to them.

Source: My Vet

By leekelly from WI

I have been keeping a bowl and mixing hydrogen peroxide and baking soda and using it as deodorant. I have never been fresher. Mix a small amount into a paste. I buy the value size on both at Sam's Club. I am at seven months and might get a year out if it. I used to use a deodorant costing 5.99 every two weeks.

I had a date with my dentist today and asked him about something I read on ThriftyFun. He said never use the hydrogen peroxide full-strength in your mouth. Said full-strength it is damaging to tissue. He said to dilute Hydrogen Peroxide to one part Hydrogen Peroxide and 2 parts water. I tried it full-strength a couple of times, but rinsing out after caused pain so I think I'll take his advice.

BTW, Hydrogen Peroxide foamed inside my mouth, as it's supposed to. It felt weird. Google the subject to get more opinions.

By Chuck from OH

I use to buy Colgate mouthwash, but it became to expensive. To save money, I purchased Walmart Equate Equate Original Flavor Antiseptic Mouth rinse (50.7 fl) at $2.98 and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide (16 oz.) at 88 cents. I mix the liquids half and half. Be warned, the solution can be strong. If it is too strong, then mix in 3 parts: water, mouthwash and peroxide.

This is a guide about cleaning with hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is a less noxious alternative to bleach for many of your cleaning jobs.

Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about lightening your hair with hydrogen peroxide. When you want to lighten your hair without going to the salon, you may consider using a hydrogen peroxide recipe.

Woman in towel combing wet blond hair

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using hydrogen peroxide for ear wax. There are many products that if used properly can help loosen ear wax.

Adult using a dropper to insert liquid into ear

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using hydrogen peroxide as a stain remover. There are several household products that that be used to remove stains.

Hydrogen Peroxide
Stain Remover

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I am looking for all of the uses for hydrogen peroxide I can find.

By Holly from Lancaster, WI

Answers

At the onset of a sore throat, half water and half peroxide mixed can be used to gargle with and also the old reliable salt water solution. It stopped my strep throat from worsening.

My favorite is as a stain remover, wish I had known this when my kids were little. I put a sprayer top on a bottle of peroxide and use it in the laundry.

For ear wax removal, use half hydrogen peroxide and half water to squirt in the ears. Hold your head sideways and let it bubble and do it's work before letting it run out on a tissue.

If your dog or cat has swallowed something too large to pass and you need them to vomit it back up, use hydrogen peroxide.Use a medication injector with about 1 or 2 Tbsp. of Hydrogen Peroxide, but the amount you should use depends on how big your animal is. You need to get all of the Hydrogen Peroxide down at once, so squirt it in fast. Repeat and up the dose, if the animal does not vomit within about a minute of giving it to them. Source: Vet

Use peroxide as a disinfecting soak for your toothbrushes. Hold a capful in your mouth for 10 mins as a tooth whitener (spit, don't swallow!) Use instead of bleach to disinfect cutting boards and countertops. Simply pour a little on your washrag or use a half & half solution in a spray bottle. You can use the same strength solution to spray your feet if you have athlete's foot or foot fungus. Let your feet air-dry afterwards.

Those are only a few of the uses my sister sent me in an article titled "Benefits of Peroxide." Let me know if you want the whole thing, we can see if the TF email system can handle it, lol! (It's about 1.5 pages worth.)

I have well water with iron and cannot use chlorine bleach or my clothes turn orange. But Wal-Mart sells a Great Value product in the area where you find Clorox. It is labeled Non-Chlorine Bleach and the label has green writing. This Non-Chlorine Bleach is actually Peroxide. It does a good job on my whites, and does not affect the colors like chlorine does. It is the same price as the same brand in Chlorine Bleach.

Harlean from Arkansas

3% peroxide uses -

1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the bottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out. (I do it when I bathe) No more canker sores and your teeth will be whiter without expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash. (Small print says mouth wash and gargle right on the bottle)

2. Let your toothbrushes soak in a cup of "Peroxide" to keep them free of germs.

3. Clean your counters, table tops with peroxide to kill germs and leave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you wipe, or spray it on the counters.

4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour peroxide on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.

5. I had fungus on my feet for years - until I sprayed a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water on them (especially the toes) every night and let dry.

6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five to ten minutes several times a day. My husband has seen gangrene that would not heal with any medicine, but was healed by soaking in peroxide.

7. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic system like bleach or most other disinfectants will.

8. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your 50/50 mixture whenever you have a cold, or plugged sinuses. It will bubble and help to kill the bacteria. Hold for a few minutes then blow your nose into a tissue.

9. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and hold it for ten minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.

10. And of course, if you like a natural look to your hair, spray the 50/50 solution on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through. You will not have the peroxide burnt blonde hair like the hair dye packages, but more natural highlights if your hair is a light brown, reddish, or dirty blonde. It also lightens gradually so it's not a drastic change.

11. Put half a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help rid boils, fungus, or other skin infections.

12. You can also add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing, pour directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.

13. I use peroxide to clean my mirrors with, and there is no smearing which is why I love it so much for this.

14 . To make pet urine odors disappear no matter how old 1 c. peroxide, 1 tsp. baking soda, and 1 drop liquid soap. Mix w/ plastic spoon for 15 seconds. Pour on area and let dry up to 2 days. May need to be reapplied, works fantastically! Do not mix and try to store, it could explode! But, for a large area, it can be doubled!

I personally used peroxide when I dyed my hair a shade too dark. I put pure peroxide into a old hair spray bottle, sprayed it very generously on, then blow dried, and repeated the process 2 more times.

Also I use peroxide to remove Sharpie maker off of surfaces.

My favorite use is for removing scorch stains. I have used it to remove old scorch stains on linens. Spray or daub it on to soak the stain, let stand for a minute, and iron with a hot iron. It's amazing! I think that I got that hint from Thrifty Fun, but I'm not sure.