Hydrogen Peroxide to Induce Vomiting In Pets

My Moon (cat) swallowed a large piece of plastic. If your dog or cat has swallowed something too large to pass and you need them to vomit it back up, use hydrogen peroxide. I used a medication injector with about 1 or 2 Tbsp. of hydrogen peroxide, but the amount you should use depends on how big your animal is. You need to get all of the hydrogen peroxide down at once, so squirt it in fast. Repeat and up the dose, if the animal does not vomit within about a minute of giving it to them.

Source: My Vet

By leekelly from WI

My vet was horrified when I mentioned this to her.

Wow, what a scary thing to do! I wonder about your vet? Where did they attend school? What about the syrup for kids who got into something bad? Sorry I can't recall the name. Time to call my vet, before something does happen!

I believe this was also recommended to me some back by a vet assistant for my dog-thought to have lapped up some radiator coolant in a pool of water-doesn't take to much hp and it works well to induce vomiting--turned out he didn't injest coolant-so he was a-ok-better safe than sorry

I trust my vet and would not do anything to harm my bast friend, but if anyone fells different about this please take your animal to the vet.

I just posted about this on another site, there are definitely some dangers if the poison ingested is a type of poison that will do more harm being regurgitated than taken care of by other means and did you know that the hydrogen peroxide expires?
After a year, it is no good and one would hate to run to the drug store to buy more when your pet has been poisoned!

You can read more info here:
http://www.iggy  ic=26793&hl=

I recently found out that most flowers and plants are poisonous to cats, after I discovered 2 of mine eating the lilies I had just put in a vase from my garden. I looked on the internet for information regarding this only to discover that if your pet is not seen by a vet within the first six hours of ingesting the flowers, they will die within 5 days of kidney failure. I immediately called the vet which were closing in 10 minutes, and explained my situation.

HERE'S THE TIP: She told me to give each cat a tsp. of Hydrogen Peroxide, making sure to get it in the back of their throat. Wait 5 minutes for them to throw up. If they don't, repeat it ONLY 1 MORE TIME. Wait 5 minutes. If they still haven't, put a tiny pinch of salt in the back of their throat. Wait 5 more minutes. By then, if they haven't, take them to a vet immediately.

It worked the first time with Mimzy and the second time with Monazy! Both are still healthy and still with us, thankfully.

By Jackie from Des Moines, Iowa

Editor's Note: Please always consult a vet first, before trying home remedies.

Answers:

Hydrogen Peroxide for Pet Poisoning

I also have used powered Charcoal mixed into a tablespoon of canned dog or cat food of meat, whichever pet had eaten something bad for them. It worked for my dog who got into my son's box of chocolate candy. It absorbs the toxins.
(09/04/2009)

By Marcia S