Uses for Juice from Canned Fruit

Does anyone have recipes that use fruit juices from canned fruits in them? Tips and recipe ideas from the ThriftyFun community.

Sauce For Dessert

You could freeze them for use later in a fruit punch or just drink it. Or instead of "throwing away the juice", why don't you do what we do quite often. Drain the juice, heat in a microwave and then thicken with cornstarch, cool and add your drained fruit back into it. This makes a nice easy fruit dessert.

By Valleyrimgirl

Make Jelly

I have been saving the peaches with real fruit juice to make jelly. I have it in my freezer.

By Homeschoolin_mum

Add To Soda

You can add ginger ale or 7-Up to make a great tasting drink, kind of a punch. Years ago we had a lady in our church that made the punch for Vacation Bible School and they were all made with fruit juice, delicious!

By Luvyabye

Ice Cube Trays

I use it as a substitute for the cold water when making gelatin. Or freeze it in ice cube trays, and add to fruit punch to keep it chilled.

By Zballoongirl

Use In Marinade

Fruit juices make a great addition for a marinade for meats. Pineapple in particular is great for tenderizing less than tender cuts of meat. Gives a great flavor too.

By Cjgeo

Use With Cereal

Use canned fruit juice on cold cereal instead of milk. Peach and apricot are good.

By John

Replace Water With Juice In Recipes

You can use the juice from canned fruit when you make jello. Use the juice in the amount that you normally would use for cold water. If there isn't enough, just add water to it to give you the required amount. You may not taste any difference but at least you know that you added nutrition to the jello and didn't waste it.

Also I use pineapple juice when I make baked pears instead of the water it calls for. Very tasty.

By Joesgirl

Use In Baking and Cooking

I often use canned fruit juices instead of water when making a cake mix. You could also use the fruit juice when cooking rice. Or you could add it instead of water when reconstituting frozen orange juice, lemonade, or other from-concentrate juice drinks.

By Ness

Fruit Liquids

Canned fruit liquids can be used instead of pouring them down the drain. Heat and thicken with cornstarch. Serve over a plain cake.

By Chell

Smoothies Or Koolaide

Use the juice from canned fruit in your homemade fruit smoothies. Or substitute for some or all of the water when you make Kool-aid.

By Becki in Indiana

Pineapple-Cherry Jelly

My kids love pineapple and cherries. A couple of years ago I made pineapple-cherry jelly, out of Dole pineapple juice and maraschino cherries. I actually made it up myself from estimating. But it would never gel like it was supposed too.

By Stephanie

Can Pears In Apple Juice

I just canned pears and to prevent them from turning color, I put them in apple juice. Then heated the juice with the pears and put them in jars and canned them. No need to add sugar. The taste is excellent.

By Lilas

Thanks For The Great Ideas

Some great ideas! Thank you! Some I had heard of before, just had forgotten about them!

The one about using for a marinade was a new idea to me and I cannot wait to try it. It reminded me of a marinade I used to buy and is hard to find a store that carries it, but it is called "Cheryaki". It was a cherry flavored teriyaki and it was so good on chicken, pork, or beef! I could put it on any kind of meat and my kids would devour it! Especially if it had been grilled. One time we even used it on hot dogs to try something different. It was good! (But you have to wrap the hot dogs in foil to keep from burning.)

By Princess Frogee

Post your ideas below!

Uses for Juice from Canned Fruit

I save mine and use it to flavor plain oatmeal for my kids in the breakfasts, etc.

Bobbi-Jo (01/11/2008)

By bjgould1213

Uses for Juice from Canned Fruit

Make home made fruit cocktail. Put the following in a large jar with a tight fitting lid: fruit juices, ginger ale (really picks up the flavor!), 1 jar maraschino cherries (with juice). Add grapes, pineapple chunks, and diced peaches and pears. Refrigerate for a few days (give the jar a gentle shake every now and then) so the flavors can blend. So much better than canned fruit cocktail!

Pour into a popsicle mold and make fruit pops. If you mix several juices together the kids will just marvel!

Add some fruit juice to barbecue sauce. Apricot or pineapple are especially good.

Use fruit juice instead of water when making gingerbread. (01/12/2008)

By perfume and powder

Uses for Juice from Canned Fruit

When you're making Jello, use the juice from canned fruit in place of some of the water to make the Jello.

Regards, (01/12/2008)

By Carol in PA

Uses for Juice from Canned Fruit

I see some people use or have trouble with pineapple juice. Canned pineapple has the tenderizing enzymes boiled out of it. Frozen (or fresh) doesn't, which is why gels don't gel-- the enzyme works on the gelatin protein. So for tenderizing use fresh or frozen, for jellies and gelatin desserts canned, or cook the juice. (01/13/2008)

By peseta

Uses for Juice from Canned Fruit

Makes great homemade popsicles for the kids (01/14/2008)

By karen

Uses for Juice from Canned Fruit

My parents are pediatricians and they recommend the syrup from canned fruit for children with an upset stomach to quell the nausea and help prevent dehydration. (02/02/2010)

By noonles

Canned Peaches in a Jar
Uses for Juice from Canned Fruit
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
strawberry spritzer
Fruit Juice Spritzer Recipes
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
A glass of orange juice.
Saving Money on Juice