Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Uses for Leftover Yarn

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Uses for Leftover Yarn

If you crochet or knit, you probably have a stash of leftover yarn. This is a guide about uses for leftover yarn.

Solutions: Uses for Leftover Yarn

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Leftover Yarn for Pet Projects

Dogs and cats always enjoy getting something new, whether it's a blanket or toy.

I crochet quilts and always have yarn left over. Each time there is yarn left over, even a piece 10 inches long, it is tied to the end of another leftover. This is wound into a ball. This hodge-podge of colors is used to make my dogs crocheted blankets, sweaters, and toys. They don't mind if the colors don't match.

I used to have a cat and she was always getting a new toy of some sort to play with. A single crocheted chain attached to a crocheted ball made a mouse, as far as she was concerned. Sometimes I sprayed it with catnip spray.

Source: As a depression baby, mother taught me to never throw anything away. All scraps could be used in some way. That has stuck with me, and saved me money.

By Clynnaltemus from Inglis, FL

Tip: Yarn Scraps to Tie Vines

A softer way to tie up your vine type plants is to tie the vines to a post, fence, etc. with a piece of yarn. It is much softer on the plant than wire ties and can easily be removed with scissors. It's also a good way to make use of left over bits of yarn.

By thriftsavvy from West Dundee, IL

Tip: Make Drinking Glass Sweaters with Excess Yarn

I just saw an interesting tip on how to use up excess yarn by making baskets. Well, I use my excess yarn by making drinking glass sweaters. They are excellent for sweating glasses in the summertime.

To make one, just make a circle the size of the bottom of your glass by increasing stitches each round; then make the side by making the same number of stitches each round until you get the sweater the height you want for the glass.

If you use acrylic yarn, it will be machine washable and dryable and last for years. I usually make several different sizes as I have different sizes of glasses in my cabinet. I especially like to mix colors by making alternate bands.

By Pat

Tip: Untangling Leftover Yarn

Do you have piles of leftover yarn that is in knots instead of balls? Try this, take an empty toilet paper holder, put a little split on one end, cut the yarn anywhere, and attach to the holder. Then wind the yarn onto the holder and it all gets nice and neat!

By Kay

Tip: Use Leftover Yarn As Stuffing

Don't throw away those yarn tails and left over small amounts. If you have an extra skein of yarn laying around, it makes great stuffing instead of the polyester stuffing. Just lay it on a flat surface and cut through the skein crosswise every 3-4 inches clear through the skein. Move down the skein and repeat until you have it all cut into 3-4 inch lengths. Store the extra in a clear bag until you need more stuffing.

The yarn is great for pin cushions and is easier to manipulate than regular stuffing. With a long stout pin or needle you can pull it around to fill out points such as beaks and fingers. You can pick up odds and ends of yarn at thrift stores for very small cost. How about that worn out crocheted or knitted blanket? I have heard polyester stuffing will dull needles and pins after awhile in pin cushions, whereas yarn won't.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

Tip: Using Scrap Yarn

I discovered that if I use circular knitting needles to knit long winter scarves, I can use bits and pieces of yarn in all colors and textures to knit up unique scarves that when used creatively can be very beautiful. I leave about eight inches of yarn at both ends and use this for the tassels at the end adding minimal yarn when done. I usually try to do about 2-3 rows with each yarn using 3-4 different yarns. Varying the textures and colors adds interest to the scarf. Using at least one really soft yarn will add to the cozy feel.

Also I found if you use a needle about two sizes bigger than the yarn calls for it will be a softer and more flexible scarf which makes for a nicer feeling on cold mornings. Knitting scarves has become a lot of fun for me now that I have more purpose.

Source: Inspired by a book I bought last Christmas: Scarves and Shawls for Yarn Lovers: Knitting with Simple Patterns and Amazing Yarns by Carri Hammett

By Susan

Article: Crocheting Dog Leashes With Leftover Yarn

My Grandma was a big crocheter, and was always getting left with small, 1-3 inch balls of yarn she had no use for. I came up with a way to use the small balls of yarn. I would crochet single stitches, then go back down the singles with another row of single stitches, making small doggy leashes for my Toy Poodle. For a clasp, I would cut off old ones from the over the shoulder purses I had worn out. The clasps were perfectly fine and the perfect size to hook on my little Angel's leashes.

When I got the chain as long as I wanted to have the leash, usually about 4-6 feet, I would simply bend the end over and crochet it to the leash, to put my hand through, and I was done. I had free leashes of all colors to match the collars. Then I discovered a new twist to my leashes. If I could not find a clasp, I would crochet a bigger loop on one end for Angel's neck, and one smaller for my hand.

Then I would take one of those little rubber bands that my daughter used on the braces on her teeth, and pull it over the "head loop". To tighten the loop up, I simply had to lower or raise the rubber band, and it was a perfect fit for any doggie. My little Angel is now a "real" angel, gone from me for many years, but I still have her little leashes, just in case I am found by another little doggie needing me.

By Jacketbacker from Greer, SC

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Uses for Leftover Yarn.

Question: Scrap Yarn Project Ideas

I am looking for ideas for scrap yarn projects other that knitting or crochet. Anyone have any ideas?

By mkay from IN

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi [391]07/01/2012

Cut colorful yarn in 1" pieces and stuff them inside plastic/glass ornaments.

Make bows for the upcoming Holidays and for other gifts like Birthdays, Anniversaries, etc.

Use them for curtain tiebacks.

Make pom pom's for hair barrettes.

Find a simple vase or glass jar and begin wrapping the yarn around it for a new and improved look.

Wrap into balls and make a bowl of pretty decorative yarn balls for any room.

Question: Uses for Leftover Rug Yarn

I have lots of rug yarn, the 4 inch pieces. I don't know what to do with them. What do you do with left over rug yarn?

By kemptongirl from Sequim, WA

Most Recent Answer

By susan [5]06/10/2009

I've bought some blank backing and made a rug. I hooked my leftover yarn into stripes, varying the widths by the amount of yarn I had. Once done, I gave it to my sister as a gift. That was about 30 years ago. She still uses it; I saw it a couple years ago, and it still looks really neat.

Photos

Below are photos related to this guide.

Make Striped Shawl with Leftover Yarn

I decided to make a prayer shawl that used some of the Lion Brand yarn stash I have accumulated while making various other prayer shawls. As you can see from the stash photo, my palate leans toward the earthy colors. When I was about half done with the shawl, my daughter informs me she liked it better than her solid red one and I have to admit it is looking better than I had hoped. I cast on 80 stitches and knitted rows in varying widths using up my stash of yarn.

I donated the shawl and failed to take a picture of it, but am in the process of creating other striped shawls. It is a great way to use up your stash of like weights of yarn.

By skibum1910 from Prospect, KY

Various colors of yarn.