How to Make a Crocheted Scrap Yarn Steering Wheel Cover

Category Patterns
If you crochet, jazz up your ride with a colorful scrap yarn steering wheel cover. This is a guide about how to make a crocheted scrap yarn steering wheel cover.

I am slowly but surely getting my old van fixed up. One of the things I wanted to do was prep it for colder weather while it's still nice out.

Total Time: 3 hours

Yield: 1

• .5 oz scrap yarn
  • size J hook
  • darning needle
  • scissors

1. First, measure the diameter of your steering wheel. Mine was 3". Then the circumference of the wheel itself. Oh, and don't trust google. They said a 15" diameter wheel was 48" around. I had to unravel some, but it was better than having to add.
  2. I am sorry I didn't get a shot of the supplies, but it's basically you get some scrap yarn and chain 12. Then make a single in the 2nd chain and one single in each across. I like going back 2 from 12 to make your rows. You can use 11 if you want but it's tighter.
  3. When you have the length you need, you are ready to sew it on.
  4. Measure your strip and make sure it's a bit taut. It will fit better if it is. Then sew the strip end to the beginning and you are ready to whip stitch it.
  5. Ad

6. If you want it to last longer, make sure that each stitch catches two strands, and three is better for maximum sturdiness.
  7. Now I won't lie. Getting the needle and yarn through the tinier parts of the steering wheel isn't easy. I threaded the yarn through the back of the work so it wouldn't show, then kept going. Once the cover is all sewn on, you can turn the seam to the back "a little" and the crocheted chain will hold it in place. Crochet a chain long enough to wrap around. Each one will be different so if you want you can stop your work and see if you have enough. Then if you don't, just keep going or if you do, unravel. I put my darning needle in the beginning to keep it in place then went around.
  8. I love the way this turned out. I hope you N-JOY!
  9. Ad

It looks nice but this could be very dangerous. Once when I was driving at night, I mistook the reflection of my own car lights in the window of a shop, for a car coming up to me and so believed that the good direction to follow was just straight ahead. I suddenly realized that I was heading to crash into a shop and had to turn the steering wheel sharply and quickly turn to the left. It happened when I was about to wipe my nose with a tissue. It was a reflex movement I didn't drop the tissue and quickly put back my hand on the steering wheel with the tissue between my hand and the steering wheel. My hand slid on the steering wheel without turning it. I had enough time to grab back the steering wheel tight again, the tissue had dropped from my hand and this time I had the normal grip to turn the steering wheel but that was just in time. I think this can happen with wool as well as with a tissue.

That sounds like a scary event! But this isn't wool it's acrylic. Also, my steering wheel underneath was slick and smooth, thus the reason I covered it.

Plus, I don't like to wear gloves when I drive so this keeps my arthritic hands warm.

This is really great. I hope it helps you in the colder weather.

Anonymous

It will. Thanks!!