Leftover Yarn for Pet Projects

Dogs and cats always enjoy getting something new, whether it's a blanket or toy.

I crochet quilts and always have yarn left over. Each time there is yarn left over, even a piece 10 inches long, it is tied to the end of another leftover. This is wound into a ball. This hodge-podge of colors is used to make my dogs crocheted blankets, sweaters, and toys. They don't mind if the colors don't match.

I used to have a cat and she was always getting a new toy of some sort to play with. A single crocheted chain attached to a crocheted ball made a mouse, as far as she was concerned. Sometimes I sprayed it with catnip spray.

Source: As a depression baby, mother taught me to never throw anything away. All scraps could be used in some way. That has stuck with me, and saved me money.

By Clynnaltemus from Inglis, FL

Good for you, Clynnaltemus! I must say that I'm not quite so vigilant as you in my recycling. But it is inspiring to hear your hints. :-) I recycle something else for my cats. As my daughter grows out of her socks, I make toys out of them. I have a large jar of dried catnip (got it at a pet supply store). I stuff the sock rather tightly with catnip, turn the opening inside, and stitch the opening closed (I go over this seam a few times for strength). Our cats love the catnip socks. One licks and drools on the socks, another holds onto them with his front paws and kicks with his rear legs, and the youngest just goes insane tossing and pouncing.

Thank you so much for sharing with us. I enjoyed your hint!

Anonymous

My dog has blankets that I've knitted for her with leftover yarn. One has coordinating colors. Another one has several colors that don't match at all, but she seems to be perfectly happy with it.