Uses for Mouthwash

In addition to being used in your mouth to cleanse and fight germs, mouthwash is often enlisted for a variety of other tasks. This page offers some ideas for other uses for mouthwash.

Listerine

This guide contains uses for Listerine mouthwash. This oral health product can be used in a variety of ways for personal health and around the house.

To get rid of flies or mosquitoes go to Walmart and buy the brown Equate bottle of mouthwash. Put in a sprayer and spray around the house, both on the ground and as high as you can get. Works well the next day, no flies or mosquitoes.

By maybell1953 from Temple, TX

Get more cleaning and germ killing power with your steamer cleaner if you add a little mouthwash to the measure of water your steamer uses! I have done this countless times and always love the clean feeling this gives me!

By Veronica

Thank you for this great idea! I had heard to put rubbing alcohol (straight ) in your steam cleaner to kill dust mites, etc - but its a little expensive. Mouthwash should do the same, I think. Thank you!

I bought a cinnamon mouthwash thinking I would like it but didn't. I ended up adding some it to my liquid hand soap. I also added some of it to my mint mouthwash to mask the bitter taste and use it so it wouldn't go to waste. It turned the mouthwash purple of course (which was interesting to look at) and helped the taste considerably!

By Veronica

What are some uses for mouthwash?

By Elaine from Irmo, SC

Best Answer

If you have athletes foot, or toe nail fungus, you can soak your feet in generic Listerine; probably any of them will do; for several minutes 3x's a week; it will clear it right up!

Best Answer

I use it as a deodorant when I travel. Also, it can be used as an antiseptic for a small wound, emphasis on small because it does sting. It also helps when applied to feet to combat foot odor.

Best Answer

If you're using the Original Listerine (amber in color), put some in a spray bottle. Spray yourself when going outside, especially on your skin. Mosquitos will leave you alone! Again this has to be the original Listerine, not the "flavored" ones.

Best Answer

I have soaked my clarinet reeds in it.

We are also using it in a spray bottle. We spray my bedfast mother's back with it. Have only had one small bed sore while using it to keep down the bacteria that causes the skin to break down. Also good for wound healing but remember to blow on the wound as you use it.