Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Uses for Old Pantyhose

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Pantyhose

Even with a run or snag your panty hose can continue to be useful in many ways. This is a guide about uses for old pantyhose.

Solutions: Uses for Old Pantyhose

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Capture Chipmunks With Panty Hose

Chipmunks! I saw one run into the black drainage tube that's attached to the downspout on the side of my house. There is one on each side of the corner of my house. After it ran up the spout, I took a pair of panty hose, pulled a leg over each end, not real easy, but it worked.

My son-in-law ran water down the spout, then shook the drainage hose and the chipmunk ran half-way down the leg of my panty hose. He picked up the panty hose and threw it in a large can and let the critter loose quite a ways from the house. It was hilarious, seeing my son-in-law holding a chipmunk in a pair of panty hose. I will try it again.

By Linda from Brodhead, WI

Tip: Pantyhose Onion Holder

I use worn out pantyhose to separate my onions. I put an onion in the toe of the pantyhose then tie a knot in it. Then I add another onion, tie another knot and so on until I run out of a pantyhose leg. Then I take the leg(s) of onions and hang it from a hook in my pantry (or closet, whatever).

When I need an onion, I cut it off from underneath the next knot. It's quick, it's easy and it keeps dried onion peelings from getting all over your floor

By Kimberly

Tip: Use Old Panty Hose to Tie Up Plants

Cut up old panty hose into small strips and use those to tie tomato plants to the stakes.

They won't harm the plants and you get to recycle.

By marilynlv from Indian Orchard, MA

Tip: Recycle Pantyhose and Avoid Panty Lines

Do you hate panty lines as much as I do? I have tried the "thong" approach, and let's just say, they are not for me. I created an answer that also recycles too. When I get a run in my pantyhose, I don't through them away; I cut off about five inches off the bottom of the legs. I hold the pantyhose together so that they will be even after they have been cut.

When I want to wear a pair of slacks, I reach for my footless pantyhose. The benefits are that I get that extra, much needed tummy support, (After birthing four kids, who wouldn't!) I can wear sandals, and most important to me, I don't have the panty lines. The pantyhose can also be used the same with walking shorts too. I just cut off more of the pantyhose legs and they give me the same support and no panty lines.

I hope you try it and enjoy the same benefits I have without buying those expensive undergarments which still tend to leave panty lines in one place or another.

By Laura R. from Tampa, FL

Tip: Use Old Pantyhose to Keep Rain Barrel Water Clean

I've discovered that when collecting rain in your rain barrel, you can put a leg from a pair of pantyhose over the end of your downspout. It keeps the water clean, especially if your gutters have any debris in them. I hold the pantyhose material on with an elastic band, which makes it easy to remove and rinse off when it gets dirty. I also use an old window screen over the barrel to keep mosquitoes out, and keep any wildlife from falling into the barrel. Hope these ideas are useful.

By Judy from Williamsburg, Ontario

Tip: Homemade "No Show" Socks

Make your own "no show" socks.

Materials

• pair of pantyhose with a run
  • pair of scissors
  • needle and thread
  • your foot

Instructions

Cut the panty part off the pantyhose. Stretch the open end of the cut off stocking over your foot. Cut off the excess stocking off, leaving a seam allowance of 1/4 inch. Sew together the narrow end of the "sock" with a running stitch. Depending on where the run is in the stocking you can get a few pairs out of one pair of hose. You can also wear these under other hose to prevent runs and snags from you toes and heels.

The panty portion can be worn over tights that have stretched out elastic to keep them up.

By Kristen from Cambridge, UK

Tip: Protect Your Garden Produce With Pantyhose

To protect your garden produce from insects or animals that love to sample, cover each (squash, lets say) with a length of panty hose. Close the top and bottom of the hose by knotting or tying with string so there are no openings for critters. The hose won't hold in the heat and will dry quickly after a rain.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Tip: Extra Large Rubber Band From Pantyhose

Need an extra large rubber band? Cut around the elastic top of an old pair of panty hose. Two of these crisscrossed, work fine when bundling newspapers. Use one to hold a bag in place in a garbage can.

By Joyce

Tip: Pantyhose for Plants

Use old, clean pantyhose to gently adhere plants to stakes while they are growing. Simply stretch pantyhose and cut both legs into rings. Stretch out and tie together as many as needed for the size of the plant to reach the stake.

By Rhonda

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!