Uses for Old Pantyhose

Category Reusing
Pantyhose
Even with a run or snag your panty hose can continue to be useful in many ways. This is a guide about uses for old pantyhose.

I was cleaning the battery terminals on my fishing car (I don't fish for sport, thank you), when I dropped a socket down into that conglomeration of wires, hoses, belts, etc. It was completely out of reach. It almost went through to the ground. What's a body to do?

Then I had a brainstorm. Well, to tell the truth, it's always quite a bit dark and cloudy in there. It doesn't lighten though. Actually, there's very little electrical activity going on. Seems my synapses have just about syned out.

Now, where was I? Oh, yes! My grand moment of improvisation. I went inside and got a leg from a pair of panty hose. Well, not an actual leg, just that part of the panty hose they call a leg. The only body parts I keep around are my own. Sometimes, I don't think they'll be around much longer.

Anyway, while I was securing that 'leg', I also rounded up one of those sticky things used for retrieving lock washers accidentally dropped down a manhole. No, it wasn't a wad of chewing gum on a long string. Hang on, I'll think of it in a minute.

Oh, yes! It was a magnet. You know, one of those things that's got connections to the poles, the North and South poles. Did you know the magnetic poles swap places ever so often. They sure do. (Well, not so often. Sometimes 500,000 years in between). And those brainy boys say we're just about ready for another 'flip flop'. That's what they call it, a flip flop. No wonder I don't know where I am half the time.

Back to my car? Oh, yes. I slipped that little magnet into that little leg and dangled it around down in there where my socket was. It took a bit of angling, you know, like when you're dealing with a wise old catfish.

But you know something? I angled and dangled that socket right outa there. Sure did. I sure did. And you know what else? Those panty hose make great strainers for water based paints. Sure do.

I hope when that flip flop comes, it won't make me sea sick like the way the rides at the county fair do.

When I was young, my aunt said my hair was so wavy it made her sea sick just to look at it.

Seems like those panty hose would be awful drafty. Are they, Betty? Good way of keeping things aired out, I guess.

I think one of my synapses is stuck in a loop.

Need an extra large rubber band? Cut around the elastic top of an old pair of panty hose. Two of these crisscrossed, work fine when bundling newspapers. Use one to hold a bag in place in a garbage can.

By Joyce

Extend the life of your onions by keeping them dry. Use an old panty hose leg to hang them; tying a knot between each one is even more helpful. This is a guide about using pantyhose to store onions.

hanging onions

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I've discovered that when collecting rain in your rain barrel, you can put a leg from a pair of pantyhose over the end of your downspout. It keeps the water clean, especially if your gutters have any debris in them. I hold the pantyhose material on with an elastic band, which makes it easy to remove and rinse off when it gets dirty. I also use an old window screen over the barrel to keep mosquitoes out, and keep any wildlife from falling into the barrel. Hope these ideas are useful.

By Judy from Williamsburg, Ontario

Make your own "no show" socks.

Materials

Instructions

Cut the panty part off the pantyhose. Stretch the open end of the cut off stocking over your foot. Cut off the excess stocking off, leaving a seam allowance of 1/4 inch. Sew together the narrow end of the "sock" with a running stitch. Depending on where the run is in the stocking you can get a few pairs out of one pair of hose. You can also wear these under other hose to prevent runs and snags from you toes and heels.

The panty portion can be worn over tights that have stretched out elastic to keep them up.

By Kristen from Cambridge, UK

To protect your garden produce from insects or animals that love to sample, cover each (squash, lets say) with a length of panty hose. Close the top and bottom of the hose by knotting or tying with string so there are no openings for critters.

Pantyhose can be a costly part your clothing budget. They are prone to snags and runs, but that does not mean you should discard them. This is a guide about extending the life of pantyhose.

Pantyhose with a run in them.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Cut up your old panty hose into strips and use them to tie up your veggie and garden plants. This is a guide about use old panty hose to tie up plants.

Old Panty Hose

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes