Uses for Toilet Paper Tubes

Category Reusing
TP Tube Tunnels for Toy Cars
In addition to many craft projects there are other opportunities where you can reuse toilet paper tubes. This is a guide about uses for toilet paper tubes.

Take toilet paper rolls and tuck in one end to close. Fill roll with potting soil and plant seeds. When seedlings are large enough to plant outside, untuck the bottom and plant in hole the size of the tube. The tube will break down in the soil and feed the plant.

Isn't it great to find a use for something which usually gets thrown away, Mary Ray? I love this idea. Instead of tucking in the bottom, however, I moisten the soil slightly and pack it in the tube fairly tightly. I set the tubes in shallow plastic containers in front of a sunny window in early spring and water the seedlings from the bottom (hence the "not tucked in" aspect). They're all coming up beautifully and almost ready to set outside (we typically get snow up to mid-May so May 20th / 21st is customary for putting things in the ground).

I love this idea. I have run out of containers. So I am going to try this tomorrow. Gardening has become my passion. I have tried 4 over 7 years here in St Pete Fl to grow tomatoes. This is the first year I have succeeded in growing 2 plants from seeds. I am a newbie so I always welcome cool new ideas. Thanks so much!!!

Kimberly Clark is developing tubeless toilet paper, which means the other toilet paper makers will probably follow suit. So if you craft with the tubes, you might want to stock up now.

By Widget

I just measured the circumference of a toilet paper tube to a paper towel tube and there is no difference in size. So the empty towel tubes can be saved as well, just have to cut them to size. Who knows, next they'll probably start producing tubeless paper towels.

Check with your local favorite Motel 6 for empty TP tubes. Motel 6's are all about going green and recycling. Give it a try.

Great tip. Thanks. I'm sure others will follow suit soon.

There is something about using toilet paper tubes that bothers me. They have been in the bathroom, for as long as it takes to use it up and I just think in my opinion they need to be thrown away.

I found this out so I saved a bunch of tubes. By cutting a tube from bottom to top and slipped it around a good tube. A lot of tubes can be saved and will not be smashed, All it takes is a bit of cellophane tape to make a round tube.

I had a few tp tubes set aside for a craft project and my toddler found them. He played for quite awhile with just the tubes, then he realized that his little toy cars could drive through them. He thought it was so cool! I can easily throw 1-2 of these in his diaper bag, along with a few cars, for when he is bored while we are out.

Cute!

You can actually use empty toilet paper rolls to roll your hair. If you have shoulder length or longer hair, empty toilet paper rolls work perfectly. I have waist length natural curly, and wavy hair. I use toilet paper rolls to roll my dry hair. I use bobbie pins, or clips to hold in place. I leave it up for about an hour. When I unroll it, I have fuller, smoother, flowing hair, with soft curls at the bottom.

Works great for me!

Source: I save empty toilet paper rolls for recycling. I decided to try them as hair curlers one day and it worked great. I use them all the time now.

By Brenda from Tupelo, MS

Back in the day when I was in high school all the girls used concentrated juice cans for hair rollers.

A good idea, but I have short hair and these tubes are too big for my hair.

I like to use velcro rollers. You just roll them into your hair and they stay put with no clips. They come in various sizes; I've found them in dollar-type stores for around 4 in a package for $1.

I remember my twin cousins using empty soda cans for their long hair.We also used to iron our hair right on the ironing board.Ah,the good old days!

For those of you old enough... Remember in the mid 1960's when the "fashion-forward" crowd (like Pricilla Presley) used Frozen Orange Juice cans to set & straiten their hair? This was back before blow-dryers, hot-curlers & flat-irons were invented! ...Back when you either used a REAL iron & ironed your long hair on an ironing board or set your hair with brush rollers & stick-pins that dug into your scalp then sat under a fluffed-up plastic bonnet that resembled a fluffy shower cap that was connected with a tube to a box-like dryer-contraption that resembled a backwards vacuums cleaner & blowed semi-warm to cold air. It took hours to dry your hair this way & the hair dryer was so loud you couldn't watch TV & had to be pluged in so you couldn't move around...

And whoa to those sad creatures (like me) that were born with naturally curly hair... Us, curly-hair types tried everything to straiten our hair from using scotch tape to tape our bangs down to sleeping with a nylon stocking over our head! (nothing worked!) ...And, remember when we had practically no styling products at all, back before mouses & silicone anti-frizz products & high quality conditioners were invented...

So gals, appreciate the great selection of hair products you have. These days you can forget the Prell shampoo & save the Aqua-Net hairspray to use for craft products!

There's a lot of nasty germs on those toilet paper rolls from people with dirty hands taking the paper off of them. Germs do move around.

lol I was going to say the same thing about frozen juice cans.(

Growing up I used white strips of rag cloth to get a curly hair do. Went to sleep with them in my hair.

I used juice cans way back when I was in high school also. I put my hair in a ponytail on top of my head and divided it into 3 sections. I rolled one back and the other two down on either side. I also ironed my hair... The only hair products back then were Dippity Dew and Alberto's VO5. ha ha

I love that somebody else remembers the juice can rollers. Thanks for the memories and the chuckle!

I doubt most of you know just how 'high tech' toilet tissue tubes and juice cans actually are. I remember my sisters and their friends cutting strips of brown paper bags and using them to 'roll' their hair.

Our favor boxes were made from toilet paper rolls. We cut them in half and folded in the bottom, creating a cup. Then we painted them all white inside and out so the card board would harden. Then I glued fake rose petals on the outside, two on each side. Then I glued a fake one inside the roll in the bottom. They turned out pretty nice. We are placing pre-wrapped mints in them at each place setting.

By Kim from Chatham, Ontario

I know many peoople make things from toilet paper rolls, but think about it. Anything that spends a day next to a toilet is not what I would want on my table top near my food. Is this too fussy of me? May I suggest paper towel roller, or wrapping paper roller instead.

do you have any pictures. I'd love to see how they look finished

I agree with londa. ANYTHING kept in your bathroom is contaminated just by being there. (Even your toothbrushes.) Every time you flush the toilet the spray causes microscopic germs to fly up into the air and be redistributed onto anything in the vicinity of the bathroom. You could be risking people getting E. Coli, influenza or staph among the many germs that can be spread easily. Please use an empty paper towel roll or gift wrap roll. Also I have found many different types of small favor boxes, baskets and bags at my local dollar tree that were way cheaper than big department store chains to fill for my parties. I have also bought small favor containers at Michaels or Hobby Lobby and I just decorated them with small cheap flowers and ribbons from there or dollar tree.

Great idea! But after reading the other responses, I'm afraid to walk into my bathroom, let alone brush my teeth.

Editor's Note: Put them in the oven at 200 degrees for about 5 minutes and it should kill anything on them.

Man I think people are being delicate flowers about "oh no it was in my bathroom". I for one think this is a fabulous idea and very green to be recycling! As far as the craft store favour box suggestion, there is simply no comparison price wise to spending money on cardboard boxes that your guests are going to toss anyways vs re-using an every day household item. Keep in mind you run into more germs on a trip to the local mall than you would by receiving a homemade gift box made from an empty toilet paper roll.

if you are THAT worried about it I would suggest spending 2.99 on a can of lysol to spray down your rolls. But don't knock a fantastic, earth friendly and budget friendly idea.

Editor's Note: You can also put them in a 250 degree oven for a few minutes, that should kill anything that might be on them but watch them carefully.

A great way to recycle toilet paper tubes is to use them as containers to start vegetable and flower seeds for garden plants. This is a guide about toilet paper tube seedling pots.

Toilet Paper Tube Seedling Pots

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

I saw this on Facebook and I wanted to make my own with a little flair. You put in only one seed per planter.

This guide contains crafts using toilet paper tubes. Empty tissue paper tubes can be useful in many, fun craft projects.

Recycled Barnyard Animals - toilet paper tube pig, cow, and dog

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

What should I do with all the empty toilet paper rolls that I have saved? I hate to just throw them away.

By Ed from Lexington, KY

If you garden, you could use them to make collars to keep away cutworms. You might shorten or cut in half and cut a slit up side and retape if plant isn't small enough to plant through the roll. Or just tuck in ground and stick seeds into ground with a chopstick.

I am a spinner/weaver/knitter and I put mine on top of my ball winder and wind the yarn I've spun around the roll. It keeps the center of the ball in place until I'm ready to use it [doesn't collapse on itself]. I trim the rolls to about 1/2 inch on the long side.

You could cut them in half cross ways and sit them side by side in a shallow box to make little niches for

all the junk we all collect that fits no category. If you preferred you could tape them into rows. This would be useful for a garage, where looks don't matter as much. Or for your junk drawer. I suppose if you taped them into rows and then the rows [along outside of one side] you could brush the bottom with a little Elmers and stick them to either bottom of box or some thin board liner cut to fit the larger container. Hmm, maybe I'll do the same but cut them in ascending heights, put in box after taping and put my zillion colored pencils in said box, by color. I might also cut sides of box at a slant and the front a little lower.

They might be great holders [cut shorter or not] to hold those darn cords we all have lying around. Obviously the really big extension cords wouldn't work, but computer cords, and so on for a designated cord box.

You could also make long loops of a few rows of xmas tree lights and put a few rolls on as holders when you pack them away each year.

I try to save and reuse aluminum foil. I straighten it over the counter edge [gently], and roll around a broom handle or rolling pin and then carefully work into a smaller roll. You could then pop said roll of used foil, or leftover gift paper, etc into toilet paper roll.

This might work for folks who craft; I used it for washing individual locks of wool . I cut a slit in the top of two rolls with a matching slit just opposite the first ones on the rolls. I laid a skinny shish kebab skewer on top and pushed into the slits. I used the set up as a mini clothes line. If I needed a bunch, I clothes pinned some of the rolls together on one end to stabilize the whole thing.

You could use them as decoration aides for a home made cake. Poke one end into frosted cake top and pour sprinkles slowly and sparingling into the hole, using a paper or other funnel if necessary. It will make cute circles [balloons?} here and there on top.

If you need something held to paint and you don't have enough hands, pop it into top of roll and stabilize roll however you can think of. Do one side let dry and do other side [I'm thinking knobs, or wooden toy parts.You could use the rolls taped into a cluster to hold up a larger part, placing whole rig onto newspaper of course. Okay, I'm done for the moment.

You can put them in your compost bin.

Call your local elementary school or high school. I used to be an art teacher and loved it when parents would bring me things like that. They are great for making paper mache projects and other sculptures. Trust me, any good art teacher will put them to great use!

Anonymous

Contact local senior facilities because they might want to use them for their residents craft classes. Please don't just throw them away if you can't find a home for them and take them to your local recycling center!

I like them to wrap small gifts in a Christmas, make it look like a party favor with the ends twisted. Also could wrap a few with nothing inside and use yarn or string to hang them on the Christmas tree. Can wrap with Christmas paper or foil.

Know anyone with a large bird? My brother's parrot love to play with them. Eventually they get shredded and need to be replaced.

My current favorite use for them is to use them as cord catchers- appliances such as the air popper, the waffle iron, and the hand mixer, all have TP rolls holding the cords! For shorter cords, I cut the rolls in half, because they don't require quite as much length. Just fold up your cords in about 4-7" lengths, and stuff the whole thing into a roller- the nice thing about the TP rolls is, even the plug will usually fit through. They also come off more quickly and easily than twist-ties. I've also found that they work great for all of our extension cords (small household ones, NOT the big ones out in the shop!)- if you wrap up all of your cords this way, you'd be surprised how well it tidies up the counter, cupboards, and "junk" drawer! ;o)

I have seen where they make a great wall decoration and it is so simple a child can do it and it looks very nice. Cut the tube into thinner rings, color them with a magic marker or crayons, and then glue them together forming a daisy like or flower design and use a piece of cord or wire to form the stem and more tubes for the leaves. Hang it on the wall and you have a great and unusual design on your wall. You can get very creative with this. I am thinking to have daisies lined on the base boards and up the wall would be an outstanding look with maybe a headboard out of a white picket fence piece. You could also do a display of a large sunflower with yellow paint and brown center. I am thinking of putting this on my kitchen wall.

How can I reuse toilet roll cores?

I like to make simple art pieces like this one:

http://www.thri  be-Wreath-2.html

I use them to start seeds. Other people use them as fire starters

Yes, fire starters are the best. But for some fun things to do with kids, here are more ideas then you might ever need. And thanks for not just tossing them.

https://www.goo  1024&bih=642

There are tons of ideas on Pinterest!

Especially kids crafts.

Reference :

https://www.pin  let-paper-rolls/

This is a favorite subject on ThriftFun. Just click on their link and find all kinds of ideas:

http://www.thri  Paper-Tubes.html

You can use them to slip over rolls of wraping paper to keep the rolls neat.

Check out this video using a tp roll. https://www.you  ch?v=Z9uHMmAA_3Y