Uses for Toilet Paper Tubes

In addition to many craft projects there are other opportunities where you can reuse toilet paper tubes. This is a guide about uses for toilet paper tubes.

May 10, 2016 Flag

Take toilet paper rolls and tuck in one end to close. Fill roll with potting soil and plant seeds. When seedlings are large enough to plant outside, untuck the bottom and plant in hole the size of the tube. The tube will break down in the soil and feed the plant.

Isn't it great to find a use for something which usually gets thrown away, Mary Ray? I love this idea. Instead of tucking in the bottom, however, I moisten the soil slightly and pack it in the tube fairly tightly. I set the tubes in shallow plastic containers in front of a sunny window in early spring and water the seedlings from the bottom (hence the "not tucked in" aspect). They're all coming up beautifully and almost ready to set outside (we typically get snow up to mid-May so May 20th / 21st is customary for putting things in the ground).

I love this idea. I have run out of containers. So I am going to try this tomorrow. Gardening has become my passion. I have tried 4 over 7 years here in St Pete Fl to grow tomatoes. This is the first year I have succeeded in growing 2 plants from seeds. I am a newbie so I always welcome cool new ideas. Thanks so much!!!

March 30, 2013 Flag

Every household has plenty of tp tubes. They make great seedling pots, so why not reuse some of them instead of recycling them. :)

• toilet paper tubes
  • scissors

1. Cut the TP tube in half. Then make 4 cuts that are approx. 1/2 in., creating 4 flaps of equal size.
  2. Fold one flap inward, then working clockwise, fold the other flaps down. Tuck the corner of the last flap under the corner of the first flap. (Like when you are closing a cardboard box.)
  3. Turn them over and gently press them down on a flat surface so make the bottoms flat, so that they will stay upright.
  4. Turn them over, fill with soil, and plant your seeds. Once the seeds have sprouted and are ready to go into the ground, just plant them with the pot. The cardboard will disintegrate in the soil.

Great idea! Luv it

Thanks, Richard

This is a very good idea and I have used it in the past. It wouldn't be practical for me now because I start hundreds of seedlings indoors each season. I will though, take this opportunity to compliment you on your excellent photography and detailed instructions.

This gives me lots of ideas to use this Spring! Thanks!

I like to use TP tubes as collars for my newly planted plants, to protect from cut worms and hungry birds.

October 14, 2015 Flag

I had a few tp tubes set aside for a craft project and my toddler found them. He played for quite awhile with just the tubes, then he realized that his little toy cars could drive through them. He thought it was so cool! I can easily throw 1-2 of these in his diaper bag, along with a few cars, for when he is bored while we are out.

Cute!

November 2, 2010 Flag

Kimberly Clark is developing tubeless toilet paper, which means the other toilet paper makers will probably follow suit. So if you craft with the tubes, you might want to stock up now.

January 25, 2009 Flag

You can actually use empty toilet paper rolls to roll your hair. If you have shoulder length or longer hair, empty toilet paper rolls work perfectly. I have waist length natural curly, and wavy hair. I use toilet paper rolls to roll my dry hair.

May 20, 2013 Flag

I saw this on Facebook and I wanted to make my own with a little flair. You put in only one seed per planter.

November 8, 2009 Flag

What should I do with all the empty toilet paper rolls that I have saved? I hate to just throw them away.

By Ed from Lexington, KY

Call your local elementary school or high school. I used to be an art teacher and loved it when parents would bring me things like that. They are great for making paper mache projects and other sculptures. Trust me, any good art teacher will put them to great use!

Contact local senior facilities because they might want to use them for their residents craft classes. Please don't just throw them away if you can't find a home for them and take them to your local recycling center!

I like them to wrap small gifts in a Christmas, make it look like a party favor with the ends twisted. Also could wrap a few with nothing inside and use yarn or string to hang them on the Christmas tree. Can wrap with Christmas paper or foil.

Know anyone with a large bird? My brother's parrot love to play with them. Eventually they get shredded and need to be replaced.

My current favorite use for them is to use them as cord catchers- appliances such as the air popper, the waffle iron, and the hand mixer, all have TP rolls holding the cords! For shorter cords, I cut the rolls in half, because they don't require quite as much length. Just fold up your cords in about 4-7" lengths, and stuff the whole thing into a roller- the nice thing about the TP rolls is, even the plug will usually fit through. They also come off more quickly and easily than twist-ties. I've also found that they work great for all of our extension cords (small household ones, NOT the big ones out in the shop!)- if you wrap up all of your cords this way, you'd be surprised how well it tidies up the counter, cupboards, and "junk" drawer! ;o)

Better Living Green Living ReusingApril 2, 2013
Empty cardboard toilet paper rolls, ready for reusing.
Valentine Crafts Using Toilet Paper Rolls
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Toilet paper tubes with glowing eyes.
Spooky Toilet Paper Tube Eyes
🎉
🎄